Angelboy863

The foam surrounding on my dcon ripped

It's been ripped before but previous owner "fixed" it. He used sillicone I believe?

But anyways the sub easily can take 200rms from my mtx amp but when I wired it to two ohms so I can get 400rns thats when things got bad.

Volume on headunit was at 28, everything 0 on headunit, gains on amp half way up.

Song: I'm on one by DJ khaled

My buddies and I watched the sub flex and next thing you knew "FLAP!" the previous rip on the foam surrounding was ripped, again. Tears almost ran down my face :'(

Comes to show you dont always know what ur gettin, I know nothing of sub recones and fixes so I wasn't sure myself if the the fix was actually fixed, evidently it wasn't.

It's cool though I only paid $50 for the sub. Just lesson learned.

But I may try to sell the sub or if i get it fixed "professionally" how much would it cost me.

I plan on getting a sa10 dual 2 ohm so this dcon really isnt too important to me.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Just very sad at the moment lol

Edited by Angelboy863

Possibly. Wasn't rly paying attention to what was happening till after. I am in no way blaming anyone else or the company. Complete user error on my part. Although with the surrounding already ripped it may have played a role, but I'm the one who actually witnessed it rip lol.

Amazing goop is what I would recommend if it's a small tear. Silicone can have detrimental effect on some foam surrounds and cause it to weaken so I would not use it.

re cone

Sounds like a big tear. If i were you and had a little money laying around I would purchase a re-cone kit and diy, might be a fun learning project. I myself have not re-coned a sub either so I would love the opportunity... though I hope I dont have to anytime soon!

Amazing goop is what I would recommend if it's a small tear. Silicone can have detrimental effect on some foam surrounds and cause it to weaken so I would not use it.

Good to know. I got some silicone to fix a hole in ky buddies sub. But haven't yet. Amazing goop should do the trick? Its a hole from where the drill slipped...

You pushed it beyond it's limits, no repair, or brand new recone can stand up to that kind of abuse.

Good to know. I got some silicone to fix a hole in ky buddies sub. But haven't yet. Amazing goop should do the trick? Its a hole from where the drill slipped...

Yes it should! try to fix from the bottom.

If you want to do it cheap, run a piece of duct tape on the rear of the surround with a small amount of high-temp black silicone rubbed on it, stick side tward the surround. I have done this numerous times when peopl ehave brouggt me a sub that a screwdriver or Dewalt cordless drill had punctured. Believe it or not, I have a friend with a Tempest that he beats the shit out of and I did this (7!) years ago and it still works great... Something about the flexibility of the fibers in the duct tape.... BTW, silicone by itself will not work, you need some type of strength member....

I see..............

Well I'll try the duct tape idea. It's a very big tear covers almost half of the surrounding.

I'm most likely not going to recone it. Or at least not anytime soon.

It was something to put in my uncles suv..

As for now I'm really searching for a sa10 dual 2 ohm. And I'm building another box for it to specs

sucks bro sorry to hear that

i heard mikey is selling his setup you might wanna hit him up

Edited by jFreezy

SANY0525.jpg

SANY0528.jpg

SANY0529.jpg

Edited by Angelboy863

sucks bro sorry to hear that

i heard mikey is selling his setup you might wanna hit him up

its ok dude. yeah hes the first guy im talkin to lol

superglue the fuck out of it front and back and see how long it holds up?

if you decide not to recone at least put it up in the f/s section, im sure someone will pick it up.

superglue the fuck out of it front and back and see how long it holds up?

if you decide not to recone at least put it up in the f/s section, im sure someone will pick it up.

superglue? r you sure that might work? i have a ton of superglue lol

Naw superglue wont hold up since it gets hard once it settles, it is not flexible like silicone or goop is.

Naw superglue wont hold up since it gets hard once it settles, it is not flexible like silicone or goop is.

ok thanks had to make sure lol

Holy crap, never seen a Dcon rip like that.

Yes :( I apologize for letting it happen.

But note I didn't originally make the tear.

And I found out my friend said it didn't bottom out it just tore on a good bass note.

So I wasn't abusing it, the tear just made the sub very weak and it busted.. And I also found out the previous guy straight up used just sillicone to cover up the tear.

Edited by Angelboy863

LAWL. Mine hasn't ripped and Ive put it through hell. Of course if I sell it please change " put it through hell " to "used lightly, never abused" :-p

LAWL. Mine hasn't ripped and Ive put it through hell. Of course if I sell it please change " put it through hell " to "used lightly, never abused" :-p

Say extensively tested. ;)

So how should I do this?

Apply duct tape to the speaker and than sillicone on that? Or vise versa?

Update:

I bought amazing goop and duct tape

I applied duct tape the surrounding on the inside (underneath the surrounding) and I applied amazing goop on the outside of the surrounding. I'll wait a day or two and see how it holds.

Should I apply duct tape to the outside surrounding as well?

Edited by Angelboy863

I think the op meant put goop on backside of tear than tape on top of glue. So you actually glue the tape to the under side of surround.