ncacoates

3way active help

Well im starting to gather all the parts to build an active 3way setup. I know what im getting into and i know its probably far more complicated than im expecting but i love the challenge. I plan to build pods for the midbass and midrange. The tweeters i plan to mold into the factory location on the door pillar say it stages correctly in that location. Im welcome to all suggestions when it comes speaker choice as im still considering lots of options. I tend to like a smoother highend with alot of punch in the midrange if thats of any help. As for budget ill put a max per driver price beside the speaker type. Im not saying these are for sure max but its what im trying to stay with. All in all im working with a 600-700ish budget for speakers.

Equipment so far:

Sundown 50.4

Sundown 100.2

Speakers I've considered so far.

Tweeters: 50

http://www.madisound...k-dome-tweeter/

Midrange: 75

http://www.madisound...-5.25-midrange/

http://www.parts-exp...number=264-1058

Midbass/Midwoofer: 100

http://www.creatives....php?model=SDX7

http://www.diycable....products_id=538

Processing options:

http://www.audiocont...-Crossover.html

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4518-deq-9200-pioneer-6-band-universal-add-on-dsp-audio-processor-with-auto-eq.aspx

Edited by MemphisMzd

i wont comment on the other speakers you've posted because i dont know much about them. however, im running a 3way active setup as well and ill list for you what im using to give you some more ideas. my budget was much less then yours as well.

peerless sls 8's - you can find these on madisound for 50-60 each i think.

tang band w4 1337sd, the w4 comes in some other version with different cone materials, this model is the one i ultimately picked. it was only like $40 each when i baught mine, now they're up to 75 a piece..

tweeter, dayton nd20, cheap little thing, cant play down very low but it doesn't need to. the tang band could almost be run full range.

hope that helps some.

another member has a similar thread, check it out.

also check out zaphaudio.com for some driver reviews.

I'm a bit confused by your choices as they are all over the board and not related to each other. Need to start back a bit as well. Have you ever done a 2 way active? Where are your mounting locations? Listening desires, goals, budget, etc...

*it is nice you put links, but in the future please say what it is above the link as some of us don't need the links ;)

I'm a bit confused by your choices as they are all over the board and not related to each other. Need to start back a bit as well. Have you ever done a 2 way active? Where are your mounting locations? Listening desires, goals, budget, etc...

*it is nice you put links, but in the future please say what it is above the link as some of us don't need the links ;)

Thats exactly why im asking for help im semi confused on driver choice. Im just going on what i read about paticular drivers which i assume isnt the correct way of going about it. I have not much choice as i cant really demo any of them. I have done a 2 way active and played around with that but i guess im looking for a challenge with a 3 way setup. As for my locations i can make door pods and pillar pods if needed. As far as listening i love a nice smooth high end thats not harsh with a nice tight and punchy mid range. Low end isnt my biggest concern i just dont want it to be boomy sounding. I mainly listen to rock of all sorts but i do enjoy a good instrumental and of course i do listen to rap for the bass but sq really isnt my worry in that aspect. As i said in the first post 6-700 for drivers and 300ish for processing is what id like to stay around.

a good place to start is to see exactly how much room you have to work with.

for example, can you fit an 8" midbass in the doors or kicks like the peerless sls i linked?

speaker selection depends on what can fit in those locations.

Indeed space and mounting considerations always determine the drivers IMO.

Just a question Sir ... If you are on Team SSA, Why are you not running Bravox ??

Pretty sure i can squeeze an 8 in there but im not sure i could make a sealed pod for it. Probably have to have an open back and use the door volume which is sealed and deadened. Is it better off to have the midrange and tweeter on the pillar or have the midrange and midbass on the door. Im sure that may be entirely dependent on driver choice but i figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Just a question Sir ... If you are on Team SSA, Why are you not running Bravox ??

I had thought about their 3 way kit awhile back but now all the store has are coaxial speakers. Maybe if Mark could hook me up id order a set.

Pretty sure i can squeeze an 8 in there but im not sure i could make a sealed pod for it. Probably have to have an open back and use the door volume which is sealed and deadened. Is it better off to have the midrange and tweeter on the pillar or have the midrange and midbass on the door. Im sure that may be entirely dependent on driver choice but i figured it didn't hurt to ask.

my midbass's are ib in the door, but require a lot of deadening. worth it imo. visit sounddeadenershowdown.com for info on deadening

putting the midrange in the door probably wont work that great, much better if you can get them more on axis.. so kicks, A pillars, etc.

mounting location depends a lot on the size of the mid. for example, i couldn't fit my 4" mid up in the A pillar very well so i made kick panel enclosures. (i was running a 3" mid in the A pillar previously. switched to the 4" because i was looking for more output)

Sealed isn't necessary...but before we go further I suggest being more than pretty sure. As a benchmark see if you can fit the Peerless SLS 8" as bang for the buck its pretty much a winner.

Generically speaking it is "better" to have your midrange & tweeter up high, but as with any rule of thumb or generalization there are plenty of situations where this doesn't hold true.

mounting location depends a lot on the size of the mid. for example, i couldn't fit my 4" mid up in the A pillar very well so i made kick panel enclosures. (i was running a 3" mid in the A pillar previously. switched to the 4" because i was looking for more output)

Of course another method for getting more output from a 3" driver is to cross it higher. I realize in your installation due to the midbass this wasn't possible without a larger gap, but just stating the clarification for the thread. If you run a tweeter and have the space there are some really nice 4" drivers.

Looked into it and im thinking the 8s might be alittle to tight it could be done but something smaller would be far less troublesome. Also looked into getting the mid and tweeter on the pillar which will fit if i use a 3 in driver and a smaller format tweeter like the vifa i linked.

Since in your first post you say you'd love a challlenge, go for the 8's :P

probably order the 8s this weekend and make it work. i mocked it up today with a templet and ive got the room just gonna get interesting. Any recomendations on the mids or the tweeters. I personally like soft dome so im leaning towards the vifa's but let me know if they are good or not because ill order them with the 8s.

probably order the 8s this weekend and make it work. i mocked it up today with a templet and ive got the room just gonna get interesting. Any recomendations on the mids or the tweeters. I personally like soft dome so im leaning towards the vifa's but let me know if they are good or not because ill order them with the 8s.

i was stretching a low budget when i bought my speakers but here is what i have experience with. also check out zaphaudio.com for info of mid and tweets.

i used a dayton nd20 (linked above) with my tangband w4 4", it fills in the very top end pretty nicely. m5 recommended, Aurasound NT1-204-8D 3/4" Titanium Dome Tweeter, as a metal dome alternative to the nd20.

i use to run peerless 8309873" fullrange, in a 2way.

used fountek fr88ex in my bro's installed this summer.. not sure if im ready to decide which i liked more between these and the peerless.

i've seen people use aurans3's w/ a tweeter in afew builds. definitively a cheaper option. (in black)

that might give you some idea's, let us know what you think. m5 might have some better options, just wanted to bump your thread up a bit :)

i was stretching a low budget when i bought my speakers but here is what i have experience with. also check out zaphaudio.com for info of mid and tweets.

i used a dayton nd20 (linked above) with my tangband w4 4", it fills in the very top end pretty nicely. m5 recommended, Aurasound NT1-204-8D 3/4" Titanium Dome Tweeter, as a metal dome alternative to the nd20.

i use to run peerless 8309873" fullrange, in a 2way.

used fountek fr88ex in my bro's installed this summer.. not sure if im ready to decide which i liked more between these and the peerless.

i've seen people use aurans3's w/ a tweeter in afew builds. definitively a cheaper option. (in black)

that might give you some idea's, let us know what you think. m5 might have some better options, just wanted to bump your thread up a bit :)

I do not know that processor but having a quick look at the specks it will appear that you can only do 3-way and not 3-way plus sub unless you go semi active. I may be wrong but just a though. From my experience the best way to go 3way active +sub on the cheap is to use a D2.

***not that you mentioned sub or any thing but I just assumed that every one on here loves some bump.

Madisound has some killer morel tweeters as well for a good price but they are known to be a bit power hungry.

I am not sure what to say next. I know nothing of budget, mounting locations, available processing, preferences and so on.

At the moment I wouldn't order anything if I were you as it surely doesn't sound like you are ready for a 3 way active setup. I may be uninformed, but you haven't shared enough for you to change that yet.

run the Seas Prestige neo's for tweets....tis what i run and they sound fuckin amazing....

Not compared to a lot of narrower banded tweets but that doesn't mean they couldn't be the right choice. Depends on with what.