Zombiecaraudio

Help with e8 v2 d2

Hello

I recently purchased a saz2500 and 6 e8 v2 subs. The final project will be 12 e8's. I have a silverado crew cab and i made a box 2.4 cf @ 30 hz with a 4" inch round port. And all subs are in same box with no divisions.   port measurement that i got from online calculator it told me that that was the measurement needed to tune to 30hz it was 14 long x 4 round pvc. Gain on 2500 is about 1/2 and settings on amp are all the 1/2 on bass booster and sub spnic filter set to: 20hz  and lpf set to: 36hz  My problem is this it sounds bad on most songs. I can hear subs slaping. And it looks like they maxin out on excursion. But they dont seam loud. And for some songs like bass mekanic where they play ultralow. It sounds half desent and subs look like they doing a ok job. Excursion dosent slap on coil or max out so easly and Lots of flexing in my silverado but still not loud - loud like the 4 10w0 jl audio subs i used to have So i dont know what im doing wrong?

Do subs need more space?

Less power?

Subs are wired at 2ohms.

Can i use more space? Sealed box?

Tune my subs different?

I went with the setting i found on a forum that said use .6 cf for each sub.

Please help im really worried. This is my first sundown audio set up.

Thanks!

At first glance you definitely need more port area. If you are tuned to 30hz your ssf needs to be set to around 26-27hz.

Yeah you need roughly 56 sq inches of port. I would recommend two 6" aero ports.

Not near enough port area and your amp settings are way off. Set your crossover setting to around 60-80hz, SSF between 25-35HZ and bass boost off. Set your gain to minimum and slowley turn up until you hear your subs starting to stress or distort. You have a big amplifier and hopefully you have good electrical to supply the amplifier with the proper current.

Hello

I recently purchased a saz2500 and 6 e8 v2 subs. The final project will be 12 e8's. I have a silverado crew cab and i made a box 2.4 cf @ 30 hz with a 4" inch round port. And all subs are in same box with no divisions. port measurement that i got from online calculator it told me that that was the measurement needed to tune to 30hz it was 14 long x 4 round pvc. Gain on 2500 is about 1/2 and settings on amp are all the 1/2 on bass booster and sub spnic filter set to: 20hz and lpf set to: 36hz My problem is this it sounds bad on most songs. I can hear subs slaping. And it looks like they maxin out on excursion. But they dont seam loud. And for some songs like bass mekanic where they play ultralow. It sounds half desent and subs look like they doing a ok job. Excursion dosent slap on coil or max out so easly and Lots of flexing in my silverado but still not loud - loud like the 4 10w0 jl audio subs i used to have So i dont know what im doing wrong?

Do subs need more space?

Less power?

Subs are wired at 2ohms.

Can i use more space? Sealed box?

Tune my subs different?

I went with the setting i found on a forum that said use .6 cf for each sub.

Please help im really worried. This is my first sundown audio set up.

Thanks!

There's no good reason to have the bass boost on, ever. As for it not being loud, you're comparing 4 completely different 10's to 6 completely different 8's. There's a ton of reasons why there could/should be a difference in output. I have to ask first of all, are you sure they're all wired the same? If you have even 1 or 2 out of phase it's going to drastically reduce the output. Try moving the box around too. You could be getting cancellation in the current location. Also, like the other's mentioned, it definitely needs more port area and if you do have it tuned to a true 30hz that's a little low for expecting a great deal of output. I'm pretty sure I've seen Sundown recommend a little higher tuning for the E and SA series 8's.

Just my .02

Port is too small for that many subs.

Thanks for input. My box is a single chanber. So can i just add more ports? Or what is the recoomended? Currently is round 4 and 14 long. What round port can i add to tune the box properly.

Thanks guys im really goint. To fix it today!

Like I said above I would recommend two 6" aeros. This would change box size due to the large displacement of the ports. I would redesign and rebuild.

Yeah you need roughly 56 sq inches of port. I would recommend two 6" aero ports.

That was the measurment i got from a online calculator. Where can i determine what size port lenght for those aero ports? Where can i buy them? I only have round pvc in my town. Can i use 2 6" pvc ports? Do i put them in same side since they in a single chamber box? Or 1 on each side ?

It would be easier to build a slot port box. Because to get 30hz tuning your aero ports are going to be loooooonnnnggg.

Im currently only using 4 of the e8's with that 2.4 ported box. Not all 6 of the subs

It would be easier to build a slot port box. Because to get 30hz tuning your aero ports are going to be loooooonnnnggg.

I have a wedge side box. It goes under the back seat of silverado crew cab 2010. Can i make a port for a wedge box?

Thanks for input. My box is a single chanber. So can i just add more ports? Or what is the recoomended? Currently is round 4 and 14 long. What round port can i add to tune the box properly.

A 6" port should do it for four of them.

You may also want to raise tuning to 35 or so... in-vehicle tuned to 30 is often too low after loading on the vehicle.

You may also want to raise tuning to 35 or so... in-vehicle tuned to 30 is often too low after loading on the vehicle.

I go to a online port calculator and type my box size 2.5 cf and enter the 6 in round port and its giving me =for that 6 inch the lenght will be 21.53. does that sound about right? tune at 35hz.

I go to a online port calculator and type my box size 2.5 cf and enter the 6 in round port and its giving me =for that 6 inch the lenght will be 21.53. does that sound about right? tune at 35hz.

yessir

i would love some recones for my E8s ... or find someone to buy them from me!!

I ran into trouble, the box hight is 6 inches. SO i cant use round port. I firgure that out after going to store and purchasing.

So the space I have to play with is 4 inches wide and 10 inches long. can I make a square port? how long do I have to make it? to tune to 36hz

Edited by Zombie

I ran into trouble, the box hight is 6 inches. SO i cant use round port. I firgure that out after going to store and purchasing.

So the space I have to play with is 4 inches wide and 10 inches long. can I make a square port? how long do I have to make it? to tune to 36hz

You'll have to play around with the math on this one.

You have a predetermined volume without the port, 2.4 c.f..

As soon as you add the port your net volume will be smaller, now you have to look for the tuning for this smaller net volume.

Guess what, the port becomes longer to maintain the tuning and you now have less net volume to work with.

The longer the port, the less net volume you have, the longer the port to maintain tuning and so on.

This is like "doing things he hard way". You're working backwards at this point to salvage an existing enclosure.

The math can be done, but it will take a while and you may not like the result.

Is there any way to use an external port?

This could be your easiest solution.

Tuning a 2.4 c.f. net volume is simple math.

Chasing a continuously changing net volume can be a pain in the ass.

Or, on a different thought. The e8 is suited to sealed enclosure as well, correct me if I'm wrong.

If so, block the port off and see if you like it.

Good luck on finding a quick fix for this!

It sounds as though an external port, as stated by Cobra93, is the only way to go unless you build a different enclosure.

It sounds as though an external port, as stated by Cobra93, is the only way to go unless you build a different enclosure.

Thanks for all your help!

I tryed to seal box and it sound bad. I guess 2.4 cf for 4 e8s is too much. I just never had some subs that gave me so much trouble. I will try to make a square port 8x3x17 tune higher at 38hz see if that makes a difference. But im going to only have about 2.1 cf ( subs need .6cf) I played with setting when box was sealed and still no strong bass. If this port dont work im going to have to make another box and add extra space for port.

Has anybody had any luck with different setting? Or u have to only use .6 for these e8 v2?

Why not just make an external port for testing purposes? Once you figure out that is the problem and what tuning you like you can go from there.

Dont forget to check phasing on the coils. You could be chasing all this for still a poor result if that is wrong

I made the port 3x8x17. I think im still short on size for 4 e8 8's put it sounds way better. It plays most songs very well. This shows me that my calculations was very off. So i will start making new box tomorrow 2.4cf and add the extra space needed for port displacement.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Edited by Zombie