djlilmikeny

Whats wrong with my AQ1200???

I have an AudioQue 1200 running my single fully loaded 10" FI Q. Wednesday omw to school, my amp cut out. I took the inline fuse out (which looked perfectly fine) and replaced it (i use 100A fuses). Thankfully my amp started working again. Thursday omw to school same thing happened. my amp cut out. This fuse was definitely blown. I immediatly ordered a circuit breaker because I was tired of replacing the fuses (the audio shop where i got the stuff installed at charges me $5 for a fuse). I went to Advanced Auto Parts store and bought a 50A fuse hoping it will hold me untill i get my circuit breaker. When i put the fuse in the fuse holder, the power light on the bass remote came on quick then dimmed out (off). I then started something smell like electrical burning so i immediately took the fuse out. Saturday I put in the circuit breaker and the amp still doesnt turn on. I am getting 12+ volts at the battery AND the amp but it wont turn on. I smelled the burning smell again but not as strong as the first time when i had the 50A fuse in. I tried to be as descriptive as possible. What could be wrong???

Thanks

-Mike

I have an AudioQue 1200 running my single fully loaded 10" FI Q. Wednesday omw to school, my amp cut out. I took the inline fuse out (which looked perfectly fine) and replaced it (i use 100A fuses). Thankfully my amp started working again. Thursday omw to school same thing happened. my amp cut out. This fuse was definitely blown. I immediatly ordered a circuit breaker because I was tired of replacing the fuses (the audio shop where i got the stuff installed at charges me $5 for a fuse). I went to Advanced Auto Parts store and bought a 50A fuse hoping it will hold me untill i get my circuit breaker. When i put the fuse in the fuse holder, the power light on the bass remote came on quick then dimmed out (off). I then started something smell like electrical burning so i immediately took the fuse out. Saturday I put in the circuit breaker and the amp still doesnt turn on. I am getting 12+ volts at the battery AND the amp but it wont turn on. I smelled the burning smell again but not as strong as the first time when i had the 50A fuse in. I tried to be as descriptive as possible. What could be wrong???

Thanks

-Mike

Could you tell if is was coming from the amp? First I would check all you wiring connections.Are you running a 1ohm load? When you pulled the fuse and checked it you probably reset the protect mode on the amp.

If you have a dmm check the ohms on the sub coils.

the smell is comming from the amp. the sub is fine. the amp is not in protection mode. the three 40A fuses on the amp seem fine. the amp isnt powering up at all but there is proper voltage going to it. its weird.

Edited by DJ LiL Mike

the smell is comming from the amp. the sub is fine. the amp is not in protection mode. the three 40A fuses on the amp seem fine. the amp isnt powering up at all but there is proper voltage going to it. its weird.

Could be the remote turn on.

Could be the remote turn on.

yea, u could be right, i didnt check the power on the remote wire, but i do believe its fine. Even if it was that though, y would the amp smell like burning wire?

i started smelling the electrical thing when i put in the 50A fuse (and it was kinda stong. u could almost smell it outside of the car) but i disconnected it right after. the 50A fuse wasnt blow either. could that cause anything?? im sure the fuses on the amp would have blown.

i started smelling the electrical thing when i put in the 50A fuse (and it was kinda stong. u could almost smell it outside of the car) but i disconnected it right after. the 50A fuse wasnt blow either. could that cause anything?? im sure the fuses on the amp would have blown.

Your talking about the fuse at the battery?

yea, i bought a 50A fuse for my inline fuse holder at the battery hoping it will hold me untill i got my circuit breaker. the AQ1200 itself has three 40A fuses.

yea, i bought a 50A fuse for my inline fuse holder at the battery hoping it will hold me untill i got my circuit breaker. the AQ1200 itself has three 40A fuses.

those are for the internal part of the amp the might not blow if other things are wrong.

those are for the internal part of the amp the might not blow if other things are wrong.

do u think there is a chance of the amp being blown if the fuses are still fine?

You need to talk to a amp expert.

Yea. I may take it to the shop who did my installation. And ill also give AudioQue a call.

Yea. I may take it to the shop who did my installation. And ill also give AudioQue a call.

There are people on this form that are more amp savy,buts its Sunday.

There are people on this form that are more amp savy,buts its Sunday.

yea, makes sense. lol thanks again!! ill continue to check the forum for more replies.

Trouble shoot your power wire run and make sure it's not pinched or grounding to metal somwhere in the vehichle.

take a multimeter, connect probe to power and ground terminal on amp.

Put the fuse back in the power line or switch the circuit breaker on, whatever u have in there now and measure OHM value set to DC.

If you get a near 0ohm reading once the power line is activated to the battery again.. STOP and remove fusing or shut off circuit breaker.

if there is no warranty open up the amp and look at the power fets to see if any are burnt

Check all your connections at the amp.

I will follow everybody's post and do a thorough check today. Ive also just sent a email to AudioQue. Im in school at the moment, hopefully i will get a reply from them before im out and ready to check?

take a multimeter, connect probe to power and ground terminal on amp.

Put the fuse back in the power line or switch the circuit breaker on, whatever u have in there now and measure OHM value set to DC.

If you get a near 0ohm reading once the power line is activated to the battery again.. STOP and remove fusing or shut off circuit breaker.

I got a .6...hopefully i did the test correctly...what does this actually mean??

I checked the connections and i see to be getting good power to the amp..12+ volts..yet the amp is not turning on. while i have the power running to the amp, the burnt smell is slowly comming back but not strong at all. u have to be about 1 foot away from the amp to smell it. also, i felt that the top side near the rca inputs was a little warmer than the rest of the amp.

so you put the probes on the power \ ground terminal on the amp... and you got 0.6 ohms?

YOU HAVE A SHORT IN YOUR POWER WIRE!

You may have already fried it...

It won't come on because your power wire is grounding out somewhere.

You need NOT replace the amp with anything until you find the problem.

so you put the probes on the power \ ground terminal on the amp... and you got 0.6 ohms?

YOU HAVE A SHORT IN YOUR POWER WIRE!

You may have already fried it...

It won't come on because your power wire is grounding out somewhere.

You need NOT replace the amp with anything until you find the problem.

Okay, so my best bet would be to try to take another wire and connect the amp to the battery using that to make sure the amp works? If it does, then its definitely the wire right?

Can i try to use my jumper cable for the positive wire to test the amp because i do not have any wire?