djlilmikeny

Whats wrong with my AQ1200???

take a multimeter, connect probe to power and ground terminal on amp.

Put the fuse back in the power line or switch the circuit breaker on, whatever u have in there now and measure OHM value set to DC.

If you get a near 0ohm reading once the power line is activated to the battery again.. STOP and remove fusing or shut off circuit breaker.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you trying to measure resistance with power applied to the circuit.

because if the break is before the fuse, then measuring with the fuse out would read right....

Putting fuse in allows the whole length of power cable to be measured.

and u say power applied to circuit....

We already know the amp is not comming on... so nothing to worry about on top of proper fusing is being used at the same time.

Just because the amp doesn't come on doesn't mean there wont be power at the amp terminals. You can't measure resistance with power in the circuit.

are we talking about the same thing?

We are measuring DC, not AC.

Your talking about measuring resistance, you can't do it with power in the circuit. A DMM sends a known current threw the circuit and measures the IR drop and then calculates the resistance and displays it on the screen. When you add an outside power source to that it will give you an incorrect reading.

damnit..

Ok, well pull the fuse , measure resistance.

IF it reads near 0, then u still have that problem..

damnit..

Okay, is it okay if i use jumper cables to connect the amp to the battery to make sure the amp works before i go spend money on a new cable/install?

no because if there is a short after the fuse block, using jumper cables with BYPASS the empty fuse holder and run a direct short to the battery

i'm assuming u are going to clamp the jumper cable end onto the existing cable that is still ran into the amp?

damnit..

Disconnect the wire from the amp also, capacitors can store a charge after power is disconnected. The current sent out from the meter will also charge the capacitors. All fuxoring the reading.

Pretty safe to say if you have already smelt burning electronics in the amp, the amp is dead.

i'm assuming u are going to clamp the jumper cable end onto the existing cable that is still ran into the amp?

No, i was gonna basically start fresh. Connect one end of the jumper cable to the battery and connect the other end directly to the amp. I want to completely bypass the fuse and current wire that is used to power the amp. I dont have any wire other than jumper cables.

exampleys.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If those jumper cables slip from the terminals on the amp... your likely fucked.

It was asked and you never answered. . . Is there voltage at the remote wire? This is what turns the amplifier on.

. . . And, Shizzon, WTF?

YOu also have to test fuses for voltage. You can not just look at them or use continuity as a test. They can look good and still be open or not allow enough current through.

It was asked and you never answered. . . Is there voltage at the remote wire? This is what turns the amplifier on.

. . . And, Shizzon, WTF?

oops, sorry. yes. I get proper voltage through all the wires including remote wire.

. . . And, Shizzon, WTF?

man.. i dont know man..

That's why i'm a member and not a master of wisdom...

Luckily bromo came in here and gave me some wisdom to get me back on track.

YOu also have to test fuses for voltage. You can not just look at them or use continuity as a test. They can look good and still be open or not allow enough current through.

I replaced my inline fuse holder with a circuit breaker. I remember when i blew my inline fuse and tested the voltage at the amp, i was only getting around 6volts. At the battery, i was of course getting 12+ volts. After i had installed the circuit breaker and turned it on, i get the same voltage as i get at the battery so i know the power is good.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact, except for bromo, that he smelt a strong electrical burning. You cooked something inside the amp. Take the amp out, flip it over, unscrew the bottom and take a picture of what it looks like. You won't void the warranty by just taking off the back cover, audioque isn't that stupid.

I was reading this topic the other day and it kind of sounds similar to your situation, but I may be wrong. Anyways, this guy thought he had blown his 1200 as well and he also had a burnt smell, but it turns out that somehow one of the three 40amp internal fuses was knocked loose. So I would check those three fuses and make sure they are plugged in all of the way.

Audioque 1200d BLOWN

I was reading this topic the other day and it kind of sounds similar to your situation, but I may be wrong. Anyways, this guy thought he had blown his 1200 as well and he also had a burnt smell, but it turns out that somehow one of the three 40amp internal fuses was knocked loose. So I would check those three fuses and make sure they are plugged in all of the way.

Audioque 1200d BLOWN

my fuses are fine and all the way in.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact, except for bromo, that he smelt a strong electrical burning. You cooked something inside the amp. Take the amp out, flip it over, unscrew the bottom and take a picture of what it looks like. You won't void the warranty by just taking off the back cover, audioque isn't that stupid.

If it wont void the warranty, then i will open it up today and take a look. If something IS wrong with the amp, do you think it would be covered by warranty or would i have to buy a new amp?

It shouldn't void the warranty!

Okay, great. Then I will open it up later today in the afternoon. Hopefully by then i will get a reply from AudioQue. I called them about 8 times yesterday (morning and afternoon) and emailed them in the morning and no answer. If i burned something in the amp, do u think it will be covered by warranty? Ive ordered it from them only in july.

take a multimeter, connect probe to power and ground terminal on amp.

Put the fuse back in the power line or switch the circuit breaker on, whatever u have in there now and measure OHM value set to DC.

If you get a near 0ohm reading once the power line is activated to the battery again.. STOP and remove fusing or shut off circuit breaker.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you trying to measure resistance with power applied to the circuit.

Could low voltage to the amp cause it to burn up?