Shogen

Charging XS Power Batteries

So, I'm looking into replacing my Kinetik batteries in hopes that my low idle voltage may be a result of not so great battery conditioning and whatnot.

Is it recommended to charge the XS Power when you first get them shipped to you? If so, would the CTEK MUS 3300 be good for it? What setting should it be on? The car or snowflake icon???

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this matter...

- SHo

I think they come precharged and say they don't need it, but if they do need to be charged they say to use a agm type charger.

But, I'm not sure what's so special about a agm charger vs a normal charger, verse an alternator charging it.

When I got my xs power batt, I just threw it on our regular everyday charger. I would use the lowest amperage setting, takes longer to charge, but it's better.

When you get one you need to check the voltage, because batteries will self discharge. We always recommend charging it prior to installing it, but if it is at 12.6V or higher you can install it in the vehicle.

The reason you have to use an AGM charger is because it is an AGM battery. AGM batteries should not be charged above 14.4V or you can vent the battery. Regular old chargers charge in the 15V range which can vent the battery and ruin it. Hate to spend that money on a battery just to vent it and make it worthless. Improper charging is not covered under warranty and is very easy to diagnose.

I think they come precharged and say they don't need it, but if they do need to be charged they say to use a agm type charger.

But, I'm not sure what's so special about a agm charger vs a normal charger, verse an alternator charging it.

When I got my xs power batt, I just threw it on our regular everyday charger. I would use the lowest amperage setting, takes longer to charge, but it's better.

You can buy agm battery chargers at your local auto supply store.

i know the old battery charger i have, the fast charge charges in the high 15s or low 16s. The slow charge is around 13.7. Glad i saw nathans post before i put them on it.

Will my CTEK MUS 3300 be okay on XS batteries???

Cuz it worked great in my hc800 when pepboys said it was dead.

When you get one you need to check the voltage, because batteries will self discharge. We always recommend charging it prior to installing it, but if it is at 12.6V or higher you can install it in the vehicle.

The reason you have to use an AGM charger is because it is an AGM battery. AGM batteries should not be charged above 14.4V or you can vent the battery. Regular old chargers charge in the 15V range which can vent the battery and ruin it. Hate to spend that money on a battery just to vent it and make it worthless. Improper charging is not covered under warranty and is very easy to diagnose.

So your suggesting that those of us with high output alternators that charge at 14.9-15v need to have our charging voltage lowered?

Thanks for response Nathan. :drink40:

That Ctek should work great. I plan on buying one someday so I can quit lugging this monster charger around.

So your suggesting that those of us with high output alternators that charge at 14.9-15v need to have our charging voltage lowered?

No.. The alternator is not sitting there charging batts for hours.

The alternator is more of a maintainer than a charger because of it's high current output.

An alternator can only maintain a fully charged batt but can never fully charge a batt because in order to do that, an AGM charger needs to back itself off to a low 1-2A output for a while to finish topping off.

Yes, for daily use. Highest you want to charge for an extended period is 14.4V. Of course a stock alt will jump up into the 15V range when its cold, but then drops down to safe voltages. If you charge at a constant 14.9-15V then you run the chance of venting your batteries from increased charge voltage. This is the case for any sealed battery.

OKay, well my car currently stays at 14.9-15.0v while driving around(foot on accelerator) but at idle I'm at 13.3v-12.2v ... Good or bad? Should I adjust top end for lower now???

read later post this was a banana finger putton push......

Edited by crunkjuice1

Trust me guys, 99% of everybody with ho alts in car audio charge around 15v.

Nobody has problems because you are looking at it wrong.

Specifically= EXTENDED PERIODS of time.

An alternator charges so fast compared to a charger that there is no such thing as extended period of time for an alt unless you were driving half way across the country and never turned the stereo down.... EVER, and the current draw was surpassing the alternator's capability all the time.

Trust me guys, 99% of everybody with ho alts in car audio charge around 15v.

Nobody has problems because you are looking at it wrong.

Specifically= EXTENDED PERIODS of time.

An alternator charges so fast compared to a charger that there is no such thing as extended period of time for an alt unless you were driving half way across the country and never turned the stereo down.... EVER, and the current draw was surpassing the alternator's capability all the time.

I understand what your saying, and I've always felt that it wouldn't be an issue.

However, Nathan is in the battery industry, and I would have to be an arrogant fool to simply think I know better then him.

Wait a minute...

Nathan works in the battery industry?

Damn!

I thought his last name was just XS..

I'm confizzled.

If you set the alt AVBM like it most likely said in the instructions around 2000rpm "cold start" to 14.8 14.6v and say the temp outside was example 30 after the car warms up it sits 13.8 all is good. then tomorrow its 25 outside the voltage will be higher because of the temp. Thats what mine always does. So thats where the fine tuning comes in. Sucks kinda but you will find a balance thats fine between varying days of temp. I think your car default voltage after it warms up is 13.8v which is also fine with your amp, 14.4 would be "ideal" but if your car is happiest at 13.8 don't stress it to much. Sorry to jump in like this don't mean anything bad just seems like your chasing 14.4 or even a bit higher and you have to see that in the alt instructions it says to check with manufacture of your car to see whats a safe voltage for your car.

As for the charger Nathan said it all and anyone that has bought a XS battery in general has read that bright orange sticker that comes with the battery warning about how much to charge them at. Like someone said if you don't mind waiting a few hours depending on the state of charge of your batteries could be less but I doubt it since I know that 3500D puts in work you will want to make it second nature to always charge your batteries.

I will give you my personal example with what I'm going through with chargers. I have a xs S3400 and a D1200 but my charger only puts out 1.5 amps so its going to take awhile to charge the batteries even with how my car is busted right now I still charge them. In the next few days I'm ordering the xs 1215 charger simply because it can push 15amps at 14.4v. this means to me my batteries will get a somewhat faster charge and in the future say I get two D3100's I will be able to charge the battery bank better with a better charger than a weak 1.5amp charger.

I did my batteries one at a time with a battery tender plus and it took awhile on each one. I kept the Oscope on the terminals and checked up on it every here and there and it always was around 14.4 and bounced 14.5 for a few seconds.

Sorry for swerving like this I hope you get things straightened out.

If you set the alt AVBM like it most likely said in the instructions around 2000rpm "cold start" to 14.8 14.6v and say the temp outside was example 30 after the car warms up it sits 13.8 all is good. then tomorrow its 25 outside the voltage will be higher because of the temp. Thats what mine always does. So thats where the fine tuning comes in. Sucks kinda but you will find a balance thats fine between varying days of temp. I think your car default voltage after it warms up is 13.8v which is also fine with your amp, 14.4 would be "ideal" but if your car is happiest at 13.8 don't stress it to much. Sorry to jump in like this don't mean anything bad just seems like your chasing 14.4 or even a bit higher and you have to see that in the alt instructions it says to check with manufacture of your car to see whats a safe voltage for your car.

As for the charger Nathan said it all and anyone that has bought a XS battery in general has read that bright orange sticker that comes with the battery warning about how much to charge them at. Like someone said if you don't mind waiting a few hours depending on the state of charge of your batteries could be less but I doubt it since I know that 3500D puts in work you will want to make it second nature to always charge your batteries.

I will give you my personal example with what I'm going through with chargers. I have a xs S3400 and a D1200 but my charger only puts out 1.5 amps so its going to take awhile to charge the batteries even with how my car is busted right now I still charge them. In the next few days I'm ordering the xs 1215 charger simply because it can push 15amps at 14.4v. this means to me my batteries will get a somewhat faster charge and in the future say I get two D3100's I will be able to charge the battery bank better with a better charger than a weak 1.5amp charger.

I did my batteries one at a time with a battery tender plus and it took awhile on each one. I kept the Oscope on the terminals and checked up on it every here and there and it always was around 14.4 and bounced 14.5 for a few seconds.

Sorry for swerving like this I hope you get things straightened out.

I believe a lower amperage but longer charging time is overall better then higher amperage and shorter charge time. :attempt:

EXACTLY.. that's why i say an Alternator is NOT a charger because it is impossible for it to fully charge a batt due to how fast it can rev that current up...

An AGM charger regulates the current output based on the charge capacity of the battery.

The closer to 100%, the lower the current output.

I could go into detail how you could charge over 15v easy with some of your alls ultra low current outputs but i'm not..

Don't want to start a whole new confusing topic if the basic method of charging is already in debate, lol.

yup I read that also... but that XS1215 charger ain't no slouch and I would be a fool not to have confidence on their chargers ability to take care of my batteries. :turkey:

EXACTLY.. that's why i say an Alternator is NOT a charger because it is impossible for it to fully charge a batt due to how fast it can rev that current up...

An AGM charger regulates the current output based on the charge capacity of the battery.

The closer to 100%, the lower the current output.

I could go into detail how you could charge over 15v easy with some of your alls ultra low current outputs but i'm not..

Don't want to start a whole new confusing topic if the basic method of charging is already in debate, lol.

I understand what your saying. I only wish to hear a slightly more detailed response from Nathan concerning HO alts charging at 15v (since they aren't supplying a constant charge 24/7 like a charger).

OP cool I understand he's trying everything under the sun to not fry his amp or batteries and supply proper working voltage to everything. To keep it safe just make sure to not to charge over 14.6v for longer than 5 min at a time or you can gas the battery and that the charger has a AGM and float mode. If your doing one battery at a time and have time to kill a small charger not a "maintainer" will work, but if your doing multiple batteries and don't have time to spare get something with a little more amperage.

off to work guys will check in on this tonight :popcorn:

An alternator "may" hold 15v forever, for example, if not fully maxed out on output but once a battery is fully charged, that alt can be runnin at 50v and not harm the battery as long as the battery is not in demand of accepting current.. and it wouldn't be accepting current when fully charged either :)

Also, a battery during use in car audio will pull less and less current as the alternator attempts to charge it if it's pretty low. It will never fully top off but generally an alt shoudl be able to charge a low batt back up around 12.7v or so.. Not good enough imo but i'm real anal about getting the best performance out of everything.

Good info here... my issue is that "cold" my alternator put out 15.0-15.1v while driving. And going to work it stays that high during the drive (20-45min).. just want to stay safe with all my gear. Do you