Sign in to follow this  
djtomczak

SA12 bottoming out

I have two SA12s on a memphis amp giving 1500 watts, Subs are dual 2 ohms and their wired to 2 ohms at the amp. During low notes I hear a pop from the woofers, only one woofer, never two pops. Just one pop every second or so during low bass. Pulled the subs out and nothing looks wrong. Felt the cone after some long play time and it's cold so it's not thermal. No distortion at all either. So is the sub bottoming out?

I have two SA12s on a memphis amp giving 1500 watts, Subs are dual 2 ohms and their wired to 2 ohms at the amp. During low notes I hear a pop from the woofers, only one woofer, never two pops. Just one pop every second or so during low bass. Pulled the subs out and nothing looks wrong. Felt the cone after some long play time and it's cold so it's not thermal. No distortion at all either. So is the sub bottoming out?

A better description of the sound would help.

What type of enclosure? Ported, tuning? Whats your ssf set to on your amp? How'd you set the ssf?

Is it on one specific song, or happening on various songs?

Box tuning? SSF setting?

EDIT: Stefan wins!

Four cubes at 30 Hz. No SSF on this amp, it's oldschool :) LPF at ~80 bass boost at 0. Idk how to describe the pop, give me some descriptive words to choose from? haha Happens all the time on Late night tip, sometimes on How Low, and on a few basstronic songs.(not sure of their name)

I think that answers all your questions.

Four cubes at 30 Hz. No SSF on this amp, it's oldschool :) LPF at ~80 bass boost at 0. Idk how to describe the pop, give me some descriptive words to choose from? haha Happens all the time on Late night tip, sometimes on How Low, and on a few basstronic songs.(not sure of their name)

You need a SSF, otherwise the drivers will play below enclosure tuning and likely bottom out.

Hlab makes inline crossover filters called fmod, 20hz hpf is black(red label) and 30hz hpf (red label) is double black. http://www.hlabs.com/colors/

20hz still leaves a fair amount of room for problem, 30hz will reduce some of the bottom end output.

Or get a simple sound processor / crossover.

But this just happened all the sudden,(probably should of added that). Just bumping out of school one day and I hear a pop come from my subs, I turned it down right away and drove home in silence until I could look at them. And now they just do it every day.

You need a SSF, otherwise the drivers will play below enclosure tuning and likely bottom out.

Hlab makes inline crossover filters called fmod, 20hz hpf is black(red label) and 30hz hpf (red label) is double black. http://www.hlabs.com/colors/

20hz still leaves a fair amount of room for problem, 30hz will reduce some of the bottom end output.

Notes under 20hz make my car shake though, I don't want to get rid of them!

But this just happened all the sudden,(probably should of added that). Just bumping out of school one day and I hear a pop come from my subs, I turned it down right away and drove home in silence until I could look at them. And now they just do it every day.

Well with the description provided I can't say anything for certain as to what exactly your problem is or how it occurred, but I can promise you that without a SSF those drivers will not last as long as they should.

Well with the description provided I can't say anything for certain as to what exactly your problem is or how it occurred, but I can promise you that without a SSF those drivers will not last as long as they should.

True^ But their not hitting below 20hz when they bottom out, at least I think so. I have no way of checking the frequency to see what they bottom out at.

They won't necessarily be gone, but they will be attenuated. If your that adamant about it, build a new box that's tuned lower, and of course there are drawbacks to this.

Or leave it as is, and if your speakers stop working, don't complain.

They won't necessarily be gone, but they will be attenuated. If your that adamant about it, build a new box that's tuned lower, and of course there are drawbacks to this.

Should I get the 20hz to match hearing, or 30hz to match my tuning?

match tuning bro..!

Should I get the 20hz to match hearing, or 30hz to match my tuning?

I just looked at sonic electronix and didn't really see any relatively cheap and basic sound processors that had a ssf/hpf below 30hz.

If you get the 20hz, your low end output won't suffer much, but the 30hz will reduce a bit of the bottom end, but it'll be safer.

If it was me, I'd play it safe and get the 30hz.

It's essentially impossible to "bottom out" the SA-12 -- you can get the suspension to "pop" if you hit the maximum level of throw which is going to be over an inch one-way

If it's more of a tick check if your screws are backing out of the box -- an air leak can appear as a tick.

Also check your enclosure to make sure all panels are secured and did not come loose.

I've had this happen with my Diamond D1's when the dustcap started to come off, air leaks can be surprisingly loud :P

Hmm there are slight gaps on the dust cap, and it could be described as a "tick", I'll try and get a video up shortly...

Distorts my cameras mic too much to pick the tick/pop up. Any more ideas on a fix?

Edited by djtomczak

Sign in to follow this