Caldwell

Door trim clips won't go back in

Ok, I got a package from Don the other day and started deadening my doors today. I started with the passenger side first. I applied the CLD on inner doorskin outer door skin, cut the ccf and mlv and glued them together. I made small square cut outs for the clips and only a few of them will engage and clip to the door. I'm so damn frustrated with wrestling with this thing, any ideas? Maybe cut the squares around the clips larger?

got some pics of door and trim? what kind of clip is it?

could be as simple as a peg or 1 part of the material is too thick at 1 point. have to look very carefully to see what part of the panel touches first and that will be your issue.

Thanks guys, it's an 08 Infiniti G35 sedan. I'm going to take another stab at it today. I'm thinking it might be too thick in some places. I will report back.

The important thing is to not start hacking away at the MLV - most times when people do that they remove way too much material. Sometimes just stepping away for a while helps. It usually helps to remove it from the door and lay it in the trim panel to see if you're missing something. The clips need to go all the way through the MLV- some have "shoulders" that need to be cleared.

If you can't figure out what's hitting, try sliding a strip of paper between the MLV and trim panel. Gotta feel around in there. Sometimes the thing that's in the way will make a mark on the MLV.

You can usually buy longer clips at the autoparts store. Otherwise a few screws work good.

Thanks Don and everyone else. I took a nice break from it and think I have figured out where the rub is. A few months back I replaced my 3" factory mids with some 3" JL coaxials for temporary use. The JLs mount differently and because of that, there was a little bit of added depth, thus making the door trim harder to get on. I will be taking the JLs out because my new front stage is bought so this will be a non issue soon. I just hope I didnt make the peg cut outs too big after having these issues.

Thanks

Edited by TubesockTitties

Thanks Don and everyone else. I took a nice break from it and think I have figured out where the rub is. A few months back I replaced my 3" factory mids with some 3" JL coaxials for temporary use. The JLs mount differently and because of that, there was a little bit of added depth, thus making the door trim harder to get on. I will be taking the JLs out because my new front stage is bought so this will be a non issue soon. I just hope I didnt make the peg cut outs too big after having these issues.

Thanks

When I put new speakers in my doors I had less than 1/16" clearance between the magnets and the glass and between the mounting plates I built and the trim panel - with some of the trim panel Dremeled away.

I doubt you made the holes too big. It's actually good to have a little bit of slop there so the clips can shift a little if they need to. Post up or call if you have any more issues.