Angelboy863

My sub is bottoming out?

I mean, I do learn alot here, some things slip I guess. But I have a feeling the sub was already messed up some way before I bought it. I can't tell if a woofer is blown or not.. But the guy I bought it from was a little shady. Not trying to blame others but just showcasing possibilities. Because I know @ volume 25 the sub would be ok, I tested it when I first had it installed.

How did you set the gain?

By ear :peepwall:

Wronnggggg way to set gains

Damn Kicker amps

Ok. So you're subs were taking full power down to 25 Hz? I'm pretty sure that = overexcursion.

I mean, I do learn alot here, some things slip I guess. But I have a feeling the sub was already messed up some way before I bought it. I can't tell if a woofer is blown or not.. But the guy I bought it from was a little shady. Not trying to blame others but just showcasing possibilities. Because I know @ volume 25 the sub would be ok, I tested it when I first had it installed.

You can set by ear but did he give the head unit a 50hz signal have the head unit set to 80% volume and then do it.

Eh, it worked out good. The guys @ alarms etc (local audio shop) helped set it for me.

And uhmm...If you set your gains with a DMM/O-scope/DD-1, you're pretty much guessing because probably don't drive around playing sine waves and you definitely don't know what levels the music you're playing recorded at so...."max power before clipping" is a DIFFERENT gain knob spot for every song...lol

Damn Kicker amps

Ok. So you're subs were taking full power down to 25 Hz? I'm pretty sure that = overexcursion.

Crap. There goes a nice sub.

And uhmm...If you set your gains with a DMM/O-scope/DD-1, you're pretty much guessing because probably don't drive around playing sine waves and you definitely don't know what levels the music you're playing recorded at so...."max power before clipping" is a DIFFERENT gain knob spot for every song...lol

I have yet to buy a DMM lol. Well best regards to you all. I have some studying to do >.<

Edited by Angelboy863

Damn Kicker amps

You've never watched the sub move at those frequencies? Its always a good idea to keep an eye on the woofer when u play a low song, especially when you dont have an adjustable ssf.

Damn Kicker amps

You've never watched the sub move at those frequencies? Its always a good idea to keep an eye on the woofer when u play a low song, especially when you dont have an adjustable ssf.

I did when I first had the sub installed. Watched it as I practically played an entire CD of young jeezy and gorilla zoe. No problems. Volume @ 25. I guess it just progressively got worse.

Damn Kicker amps

Don't sweat it bro. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Like the other guy said, make it a habit to watch your subs play, feel the cones for heat, check for any burning smells. It'll teach you a lot just by observing.

Damn Kicker amps

I did when I first had the sub installed. Watched it as I practically played an entire CD of young jeezy and gorilla zoe. No problems. Volume @ 25. I guess it just progressively got worse.

If it was in new condition when you bought it then the suspension loosened up overtime and allowed for more travel, causing it to bottom out.

Damn Kicker amps

Don't sweat it bro. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Like the other guy said, make it a habit to watch your subs play, feel the cones for heat, check for any burning smells. It'll teach you a lot just by observing.

Yeah... Thanks man.

Damn Kicker amps

If it was in new condition when you bought it then the suspension loosened up overtime and allowed for more travel, causing it to bottom out.

Nah I bought it used. What sucks is I think it's blown because it still doesn't sound right

Hey guys, driving home tonight listening to my music normally @ around volume 22/60

The song "on my level" my wiz Khalifa played and it's probably one of my hardest hitting songs on my CD. I turned it up to 25/60 about a minute and a half into the song I'm at the red light and my sub was making a terrible noise! Like it was bottoming out. So I immediately turned my music down. When I got home I checked it out, everything seemed fine.. So I tried a little demo this time playing "Late Night Tip" by three 6 mafia and when the bass hit the sub was overflexing and "bottoming out" this time volume was only @ 21. I checked amps gains wires and batteries and everything was fine.. I know I can reach volume 25-26 safely so idk why this happened. Ive never abused the sub ive only had it for a couple of months. Sub is a 10" sundown sa10. I dis buy it used but it was in excellent condition when I bought it. Is it possible it was already bad and I just made it worse? What happened? I don't overpower the sub at all I've never even gone to volume 25 to listen since today. Could amps be sending clipped signals even though amps are ok? My mids and highs are fine. .

Thanks! I really want this solved so I know what not to do in the future.

um..... if your volume can go up to 60 and your bottoming out the sub's at 22/25 my guess is your amp is set wayoff, if the amp is set right you will be able to play your volume up to like in the hi 30's with out a problem.

There is so much fail in this thread. Wow.

It doesn't matter. Low Volume/High Gain and High Volume/Low Gain is the same thing.

There is so much fail in this thread. Wow.

Then tell your facts as to what is wrong.

Its all from the OP. I'll go into detail when j get home. I'm mobile ATM.

OP says he has a smaller Kicker amp correct?

To make the woofer "bottom out" in a small box with low tuning like that would require SUPER low notes.

Also said his gain was half way up, so why would 25/60 be full volume?

He made a box tuned to 31-32 hz and the ssf is a set frequency of 25 hz... seems to be an easy way to bottom out a sub. Make sure you are able to adjust your ssf or tune your enclosure no higher than 3 hz above your ssf setting. It is a tough lesson to learn but now I am pretty sure you will never do that again.

Not much response from somebody who is ALWAYS asking for help.

It doesn't matter. Low Volume/High Gain and High Volume/Low Gain is the same thing.

WRONG! Sorry, not trying to talk ish, but this is dead wrong. The reason it is said to set gains with head unit volume at 75% is because your head unit can clip the signal at high volumes before it ever even hits the amps. I personally didn't follow this rule for a long time and paid dearly in abused damaged equipment. I now run my Pioneer at 50 out of 62 for max volume and gained up a little on the amp resulting in a louder and cleaner sound. Can also play lower due to the cleaner signal not heating my coil as much. This is also all on a 600 rms sub with 1500 rms going to it daily with no issues.

Like I said, not trying to be a dick, just callin it like I see it. Low volume, PROPER gain is the way to go. And you definitely need an adjustable ssf when tuning and playing that low.

WRONG! Sorry, not trying to talk ish, but this is dead wrong. The reason it is said to set gains with head unit volume at 75% is because your head unit can clip the signal at high volumes before it ever even hits the amps. I personally didn't follow this rule for a long time and paid dearly in abused damaged equipment. I now run my Pioneer at 50 out of 62 for max volume and gained up a little on the amp resulting in a louder and cleaner sound. Can also play lower due to the cleaner signal not heating my coil as much. This is also all on a 600 rms sub with 1500 rms going to it daily with no issues.

Like I said, not trying to be a dick, just callin it like I see it. Low volume, PROPER gain is the way to go. And you definitely need an adjustable ssf when tuning and playing that low.

Lol seriously? You can have your gains maxed out and run your headunit at volume 1 and nothing will break. You can run your headunit at max volume before clipping and run your amp gains low and nothing will break. Either way is the same? 2x3 = 6. 1x6 = 6. No different with a Hu and an amp?

That's the entire purpose OF a gain knob? And the "cleanness" of the signal is not making your sub take more power. 1500 watts is 1500 watts clean or dirty. It may take the power just fine but the quality of the signal has next to nothing to do with why it hasn't melted yet. (not to say that it will melt)