gibsonm21

Ways to keep sunroof from shattering

Sup,

My sunroof is clapping pretty bad with my current setup and I'm planning on doubling it, so I wanted to know if anyone has been relatively successful controlling sunroof clap.

I only have problems when giving demos and competing, since I don't bump it (full tilt) on the daily. I use my sunroof, so I have no plans to glue it shut or permantly disable it.

That's pressure escaping at the weakest point - bad for competing. The only thing you could do is rebuild the sunroof with stronger parts. Not going easy or inexpensive. You can avoid it by cracking a window, but that's probably going to hurt your scores too.

It's laminated glass. You don't have to worry about it shattering.

not going to shatter it will on the other hand stop working one day,. all the wheels and pins and gadgets inside the moving parts of the sunroof are plastic. and they will break, and surly one day your sunroof will leak...

you burp full tilt for demos>? thats odd.

Shouldn't hear any slapping of glass on metal. If so, replace all the rubber.

I'm doing low 150's with a sunroof with no issues. And my friend is doing 161's with a sunroof and no issues.

Check all the parts for tightness and check all rubber.

That's pressure escaping at the weakest point - bad for competing. The only thing you could do is rebuild the sunroof with stronger parts. Not going easy or inexpensive. You can avoid it by cracking a window, but that's probably going to hurt your scores too.

My sunroof actually moves more with a window cracked or a door open.

I play music at full tilt on demos. As for the clapping, its the metal frame of the glass against the metal of the roof.

As far as opening my door, my tahoe starts rattling everywhere once I drop a window, so I keep it sealed up. Plus I don't gain anything dropping the window and it sounds bad ass sealed up.

Where would I look for parts to rebuild the sunroof?

@Bassahaulic, did you guys have to modify your sunroofs in any way? Also what kind of vehicles are they?

Mine a 2001 PT Cruiser. Friends is a 2004 F-150.

I'll ask my friend who had a Tahoe if he did anything, he had 6 15"s on 6k with no sunroof issues.

I had 2 15" re xxx's (new style) on 5k and the sunroof would clap at full tilt. Now with this 21, its happening at 3/4 volume.

I'm hitting less on the mic with this 4th order, but it is by far my loudest setup.

You have the 21" in a 4th order bandpass?

It's laminated glass. You don't have to worry about it shattering.

Haha same thing I was thinking, I doubt the glass itself will even crack or break.

Well, my sunroof jumped the tracks today, I almost lost it on the freeway bumping that new rick ross.

I was able to fix it, but now I know I have to do something.

not going to shatter it will on the other hand stop working one day,. all the wheels and pins and gadgets inside the moving parts of the sunroof are plastic. and they will break, and surly one day your sunroof will leak...

i remember someone telling you about that!!

Yea, all the parts were fine. The tracks just expanded too far. I AM A come up with something this weekend!

My sunroof is still workin too, no issues. very suprised ;o

All I can add to this is reinforce it, use sound deadening, or remove factory glass and install plexi glass. Its not going to crack, shatter, and its stronger

remove it all together, just google sunroof delete.