chainsaw

Battery corrosion vs. my amps

I was driving my car today and realized I had know sound. I glanced down at my ashtray to find the power light for my saz's bass knob off as well. This would mean both amps have no power. Without the ability to really investigate, I found both power and grounds connected still and my single run of 1/0 positive connected starting battery to optima in the rear connected and not damaged. The ground for that battery seamed fine as well. When I popped the hood, I noticed a lot of crusty corrosion on the starting battery. The car starts fine and the head unit comes up and functions fine, just no sound. I didn't get a chance to check to check fuses, but it seems strange for fuses on both amps to pop at the same time. Could the corrosion be the reason?

yes.

assumption is the mother of all fuckups !

that said , yes it could be ,it could even read 12.9 volt at the amp and not be able to draw current .

Edited by BASSmaster

,it could even read 12.9 volt at the amp and not be able to draw current .

:+1:

Did you check your remote wire/s?

Did you check your remote wire/s?

I did not yet, but nothing has been touched in a long while. Haven't pulled the radio out or moves things or even popped the trunk for that matter

I'm guessing the corrosion created lots of resistance in the circuit between the battery and amplifier.

Are you using agm batteries?

I was driving my car today and realized I had know sound. I glanced down at my ashtray to find the power light for my saz's bass knob off as well. This would mean both amps have no power. Without the ability to really investigate, I found both power and grounds connected still and my single run of 1/0 positive connected starting battery to optima in the rear connected and not damaged. The ground for that battery seamed fine as well. When I popped the hood, I noticed a lot of crusty corrosion on the starting battery. The car starts fine and the head unit comes up and functions fine, just no sound. I didn't get a chance to check to check fuses, but it seems strange for fuses on both amps to pop at the same time. Could the corrosion be the reason?

You could be just running off your optima. Is the starting batery a agm?

No I believe it is not. It is a Walmart ever start Maxx 35s

No I believe it is not. It is a Walmart ever start Maxx 35s

A agm battery will help solve the corrosion problem and match your battery in the back. use agm front and rear.

I would just get some battery corrosion cleaner from Walmart and clean it up

I would just get some baking soda and water and wire brush and clean it up

fixed

I'm gonna try that out. My wife cringed when I said I may need a new good battery

The corrosion from the front battery shouldn't effect the rear battery turning the amps on. Unless the rear battery is 100% dead.

fixed

Or a can of coke. :)

id pull out your optima and check the sitting voltage on it.

If its drained that far, could it be charged back up, or is it a lost cause.

Warranty?

The optima was one I bought third hand from dvalue and the starting batt is from Walmart back in 08

fixed

Was vonna say that too;)

If its drained that far, could it be charged back up, or is it a lost cause.

it should be able to charge back up if its not that old... charge it and see if it will hold it

Put some baking soda in a cup of warm water and pour it over the corrosion and it will clean it right up, you have something else going on if your popping fuses and would need to check into that cause usually corrosion on your battery is nothing to worry too much about.

I haven't checked the fuses, just would be a guess of why no power. I am going to check the fuses and my voltage at both batteries tomorrow. After I get my taxes, I think I'm replacing both batts with better ones

*double post

Edited by Chainsaw