Notorious97200

I need ideas on a new box to get louder

Hello,

I have a single BTL N2 12" D2, running on my saz 1500 at 1 Ohm.

The box is 2.1 ft3 at 32 Hz, with a slot port. Port firing to the side of my truk.

The car is a Toyota auris hatchback.

On the TL I only scored 135.8 db sealed at the windshield, and I want higher numbers. It was at 58 Hz : I don't know why it was so high !

138db with driver's side door open.

What can I do ? I want a new box, but do I look for a bigger box, smaller box ?

Do I need to have sub and port firing up ?

I think I will try an higher tuning, like 34 Hz. Is it worth it ?

I'm looking for suggestions. So I can ask a good box designer to work for me.

Are you wanting a box just for numbers? Or are you still wanting it to be musical?

Ooh sorry !

Yes, I still want it to be musical !

No burp box for me !

Raising your tuning will increase the score. However, that becomes a balancing act. You won't know how high is to high until you get there.

Enclosure itself could be larger, but with out seeing the car and all that fun stuff it is hard to say what would work best.

Could you get a pic of the hatch area along with one with the hatch shut to get an idea of how everything "flows" and perhaps we can help get you some ideas.

A new box with different sub/port placement will more then likely be in order though.

40 htz !!!

So high ?! Noooo !!!

I still want a musical setup !

I have an enclosure for a 15" Xcon, at home: 3.1ft3 at 33hz, with 2 4" aeroports firing to the side (17" long and flared at both ends).

Do you think it's worth trying to fit the 12" in it ? What should be the results ?

It is bigger than what Fi recommands for the 12".

It will be musical, if built correctly ...

Or you could do a 54htz enclosure with a bolt on 32 htz SQ port ...

It will be musical, if built correctly ...

Or you could do a 54htz enclosure with a bolt on 32 htz SQ port ...

Good idea, but I want it louder when it plays music too. Not only for TL scores !

:ughdunno:

Sub up, port up judging by the shape of the car. 58 Hz for a small hatch is ok.

Increase port area, try to get over 1/2 of the cone area. Try to get a flare, even if it's on a square port. I tested a single flare on a round port and it gained 1.8 dB !!!

Increase box volume. Simulate first, to see if above tuning with the power you have you pass the mechanical limits or not.

Best of both worlds would be a pluggable port, or 2 ports. If you block one you get musical tuning and with both ports open you get a higher tuning for SPL.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming !

This time I want to try some kerfing on that port, and 45's on the corners.

I will try to do sub and port up, with a kerfed port, and a 34 Hz tuning.

I'll ask Ryan at RAM designs or Bromo at Eclectik Enclosures.

I agree. Sub/port up should net the best result. You can also do a "beauty" panel as well which will make it look better and help with your score at the same time.

I would go a little large on volume, and make changeable/plug-able ports. That is the best way to get the best of both worlds in the end.

I agree. Sub/port up should net the best result. You can also do a "beauty" panel as well which will make it look better and help with your score at the same time.

I would go a little large on volume, and make changeable/plug-able ports. That is the best way to get the best of both worlds in the end.

larger on volume ? From 2.1 to 2.5 ? The difference will be noticeable ? Or bigger ?

Beauty panel ? Is it a panel to hide everythijng around the box, to block any sound from going down, to allow the bass to go up only ? (I can't explain it better with my poor English vocabulary !).

I don't really want to say on the enclosure volume to much. With out modeling them to see how the driver would react in a certain volume/tuning and sub/port placement inside the car, it is really anyone's guess.

As for the panel, yes that is the basic idea/plan behind one.

I have an enclosure for a 15" Xcon, at home: 3.1ft3 at 33hz, with 2 4" aeroports firing to the side (17" long and flared at both ends).

Do you think it's worth trying to fit the 12" in it ? What should be the results ?

It is bigger than what Fi recommands for the 12".

Try it. Worst is that you cut a piece of wood to make as an adapter for the 12" to fit the 15" hole.

I think you can get a lot more out of that woofer. Since you are running 1500wrms, I would make the box bigger to increase effiency. I would personally tune closer to 40hz for daily. Dustin gave a great recommendation for a changeable port.

S; de Young : what do you say ?!!!

I know it's weak, I know ! You understand why I want something else !!!

hey if you wanna sell that 12" box lemme knwo :)

Shipping will be soooo high from Martinique to California !!!!!:suicide-santa:

I'll have to sell the box locally !

I'm still waiting on Ryan / RAM Designs.