jcs921

Dcon popping noise.

Hey guys just had a question on what this might be. Me and sencheezy finally finished tuning the amp and getting everything installed correctly. I've got 2 12' dual 4 ohm Dcons wired at 1 ohm on a 15001d audiopipe amp. Today we heard a popping noise coming out of only one sub at higher volume. The other sounded just fine. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Almost positive it is not blown.

Hey guys just had a question on what this might be. Me and sencheezy finally finished tuning the amp and getting everything installed correctly. I've got 2 12' dual 4 ohm Dcons wired at 1 ohm on a 15001d audiopipe amp. Today we heard a popping noise coming out of only one sub at higher volume. The other sounded just fine. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Almost positive it is not blown.

1. Way to much power

2. tinsel lead slap

1. Way to much power

2. tinsel lead slap

Well we have the gain set to 1/4 the way up.

And what can I do to get rid of the lead slap?

1. Way to much power

2. tinsel lead slap

Gain position is never relative to power out put.

I.E. the gain my my DD m3a really IS all the way down, and I still get full power.

1. Way to much power

2. tinsel lead slap

nothing really you can do besides listen at a lower volume..

1. Way to much power

2. tinsel lead slap

nothing really you can do.

Why does one sub do it but not the other at the same volume?

I emailed SSA, so I'm hoping they can help out with it.

lead may be slightly longer on that sub.

Leads should be equal length. I am curious about a wiring mistake, we all do it. Or, a leak in the enclosure. One of those two corrected almost always seems to solve many install issues.

put felt pad behind cone above leads and recheck wiring on both subs as well as checking for leaks.

Had the same noise on my SA12s, it was only one of them, and only happened at high volume levels. Tinsels were tight so it wasn't that. Turned the gain down a bit and it solved the problem. Haven't heard the noise since

Which sub is it?----in relation to port wall... It is possible that the driver closest to the port opening is unloading due to the wall not being fully behind the driver...

Well, good news is I just ordered a ported box made specifically for the subs. It should be here tuesday. I'm going to wait and check everything when putting the subs in the ported box. Thanks for the suggestions guys, if I have any problems after the ported box I will let you guys know.

Sounds like one is unloading, causing tinsel slap due to higher excursion.

So what can I do about this if it continues?

Your current enclosure is sealed, correct?

If so, then unloading isn't an issue.

Does the amplifier have a subsonic filter? If so, what did you set it to? Low Pass Filter set to?

Double check wiring. I can't emphasize this enough. Well I could... :P

Lastly, I would try lowering the gain. If you lower it a bit, output doesn't seem to decrease, and the noise goes away, then perhaps that's all it was.

Does the amplifier have a subsonic filter? If so, what did you set it to? Low Pass Filter set to?

Lastly, I would try lowering the gain. If you lower it a bit, output doesn't seem to decrease, and the noise goes away, then perhaps that's all it was.

I was told when you have a sealed enclosure the ssf filter isnt a factor.

The ssf attenuates frequencies below the tuning of a ported enclosure, otherwise, frequencies below the tuning of the enclosure can cause over-excursion.

With a sealed enclosure it's not needed, but some people may still use it because they don't care about reproducing super low frequencies.

I asked because if he replied "No, the enclosure is ported", then I would have to ask "what's your ssf set to?"

I'm simply killing two birds with one stone.

The ssf attenuates frequencies below the tuning of a ported enclosure, otherwise, frequencies below the tuning of the enclosure can cause over-excursion.

With a sealed enclosure it's not needed, but some people may still use it because they don't care about reproducing super low frequencies.

I asked because if he replied "No, the enclosure is ported", then I would have to ask "what's your ssf set to?"

Yes it's sealed. BUT I am getting my ported box tuesday. SSF is turned down all the way. Gain is about 1/4th the way up. LPF is around 80hz I think?

Yes it's sealed. BUT I am getting my ported box tuesday. SSF is turned down all the way. Gain is about 1/4th the way up. LPF is around 80hz I think?

Then unloading or over-excursion from below tuning is out. Adjust the ssf a few hz below the new enclosure's tuning frequency when you get that installed, but for now, I would double check the wiring, and adjust gain.

Visually check the seams of the enclosure for any light coming through, or visible gaps.

Then unloading or over-excursion from below tuning is out. Adjust the ssf a few hz below the new enclosure's tuning frequency when you get that installed, but for now, I would double check the wiring, and adjust gain.

Visually check the seams of the enclosure for any light coming through, or visible gaps.

Stef I have doubled check wiring, I used the diagram from 12volt. Also, the noise is oddly only coming from one speaker when raising the gain, I have lowered it for the time being. It was just very odd that it was only coming from one. The box appears to be solid, and for me to be able to wire the subs together, I was forced to dril a small hole between each cabin space as they were initially diveded. But besides that, it doesn't appear to have any leaks. the wires going to the amplifier are routed through a hole through the back of the enclosure but is sealed up via silicone. So any air leak is highly unlikely but yet is still very possible. Once new box arrives here shortly, I will post results.

Before you put them in the new enclosure, you can run them free-air at low volume, and visually inspect for any issues, and see if the one driver still makes the noise.

Before you put them in the new enclosure, you can run them free-air at low volume, and visually inspect for any issues, and see if the one driver still makes the noise.

Say it does, do you think they would replace it?

Say it does, do you think they would replace it?

I'm doubtful the driver is at fault because so many factors come into play, especially if it sounds normal until high volume, but it's certainly possible something was off during assembly, or the UPS man didn't play nice, if it happens to be a faulty driver I am sure Mark & Aaron will get you taken care of.

Your putting to much power to them and one is failing before the other. You have a 1500 watt rated amp on 600 watt rated subs. If the popping noise goes away with a lower gain setting it was to high to begin with.