Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

rear fill 6 x 9's?

I know alot of you preach how worthless rear speakers are, I can understand if were talking about rear doors or something...my rear speakers are 6 x 9's mounted in the rear deck lid. Just playing around with my stock system its clear as day those speakers are back there and I'm going to replace them with after market speakers.

The front stage will be a set of Rockford fosgate 6.5 components (T1652-S) using the passive crossovers it comes with.

So... to keep with the fosgate theme for my speakers I see there is 2 different sets of power series 6x9's fosgate makes. 2 way and 3 way.. I understand what that means as far as how they operate but I'm not sure which one will be better coming from behind me in the vehicle? Both the same price. Maybe I'm over thinking it and it won't even matter, I don't know. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks

Anything? Ideas. Comments, suggestions?

You really want to spend money on rear speakers ?!ughdunno.gif

You'd better protect them from your sub if you wantthem to last long.

IMO you need mid range and high frequencies there. Not much midbass. I'd get the 2 way set. But I'm not an expert at all.

It may be better to spend that money on better speakers for your front stage. I'm not saying the RF are bad ! But with more money you can find better ones.

Good luck.

If you have a sub, 6x9s are a waste of money and the time it will be required to seal them off from the subwoofer. Money would be better spent increasing the front stage.

If you don't have a sub, new 6x9s, 2 or 3-way, would sound better than factory speakers. The ones you linked can handle 100 watts RMS, Which normally means the 17ish watts rms your deck puts out, probably won't move them very much, but will still probably sound better than stock.

If you just put that 130 dollar towards better front speakers you will be more happy then using the rear lid speakers which will get easily destroyed if you have decent bass.

And the bass will normally be louder without the 6*9's in there.

If you're running a sub, I'd get the components. That's what came stock in the back deck of my town car, 6x9 components. Just make sure to deal them off from your subs.

Nothing in this vehicles sound system will be stock. I have about 80% of the equipment I'm going to use sitting here now. Like I said I'm going to put speakers in there regardless. I appreciate the comments..

Now about a better front stage.. What's better? I'm not fiberglassing my doors and I'm using stock locations. An active setup I'm sure would be better but that is something I've never done and I'm not sure this vehicle is the one to learn on. What's better? I'm not so worried about saving money for other things. I've been buying new stuff for this build since last year. No rush here. Changed my mind twice on amps.. Once after I already bought one lol.

Also for what it's worth I'm going to be buying one of those big ass crescendo 1600.2's. Not sure if I want to try and use it in this build or not but its a possibility.. Too much power for a set of comps? Lol

The Alpine TypeR is a decent coaxial that takes a lot of power. Before buying my components I ran the 5x7's all around and they sounded great. I still use one set for my rear fill. I would get the alpine 6x9's over RF. good luck