Sign in to follow this  
chainsaw

plasti-dipping my badges and grill

in the process of making my last back Toyota symbol matte black. will be doing the grill and front emblem tomorrow

Edited by Chainsaw

2012-08-10115347.jpg

before

2012-08-10120044.jpg

first coat

Hope that cleans up easy, looks like you oversprayed onto your paint.

Hope that cleans up easy, looks like you oversprayed onto your paint.

the good thing is that it is a rubber compound. it peels off when done. a micrfiber towell will buff off small spots and large spots peel off like a sticker

just got home from visiting wife's family. i should have some finished pics of the back up tomorrow. i will also do the grill and get "before", "during", and "after" pics of it. if the can is still full enough, i may do the factory hubcaps as well.

looks hot! I was thinking about doing something to mine too

looks hot! I was thinking about doing something to mine too

a little over $5 per can and completley reversible if you don't like it; go for it!!!

Sweet I will also be doing my emblems and grill. Any tips?

I was told if plati-dipping lenses (for lights) to put a coat of wax on before hand and spray from farther distance to give it more clarity.... The distance part was not 100% from the person that told me... But I will try it out on an old busted tail light to see the affect...

Sweet I will also be doing my emblems and grill. Any tips?

tape arround it , but leave a little room with the paint still exposed. like make a box a few inches away from the badge on all sides. use Several coats. the more coats actually make it easier to peel off the excess in the box area you created, but even thin overspray can be tidied up with a little elbow grease, water and a microfiber towell. the youtube videos i saw suggested using a toothpick to get the center of embles peeled( i.e. my factory paint that is inside circles of Toyota symbol.) check out dipyourcar.com and their subdequent YouTube videos. they use gallons and do whole cars that are way above my pay grade. the main owner has had his audi s4 at least 3 different colors since i statted looking at them. they also sell everything you need to do your own whole car.

edit: totally still up this late, feeding my newborn son a bottle :-)

Edited by Chainsaw

2012-08-11135249.jpg

done on back

2012-08-11140658.jpg

before grill

2012-08-11145703.jpg

grill came off easily so prep eould be easier. first coat in pic. i just put the third coat on and waiting for it to dry so i can reinstall

like that alot

2012-08-11160732.jpg

after

:)

Holy shit, do you need to polish your headlights.

lmfao!! lolup.gif

why yes, yes i do. any suggestions on what works?

I just use a regular towel with dish wash soap... Then wax the lens... But mine was never that bad when I did it.. I just up keep it like that...

started on the factory hubcaps and ran out of plasti-dip. after that, the only chrome on my car will be the strip under the windows. that may go as well

2012-08-11192102.jpg

before

2012-08-13110236.jpg

after

I've been contemplating doing this to the grille, and chrome interior pieces on my car. My wheels are a gunmetal-like color already, so the chrome kinda looks off. Does it peel off easy, or is it like a window sticker or would I need a hair dryer and lots of patience, cuz my grille is relatively large?

it peels like a balloon stuck to something would. as long as you apply it generously(2-4 thick coats) it will peel just fine. thin overspray can be buffed out with a towel. i heard goo gone or any alcohol based cleaner will make it wipe right off