Sign in to follow this  
Wackzirth88

Electrical fluctuations

So I currently have a d2 icon wired to one ohm in a ported box running off at sundown sae 1200 v2. I also have 2 fi ssds d1(s), I built a sealed box for them and wired them in parallel; on the dmm it reads .7 ohms. My vehicle is a buick lesabre which has 130 amp alt. With the icon my electrical is great, the lowest i see is 14.0 (13.8 or so with the a/c on) at full tilt while at a stop light or something. I put the fi's in, a direct swap. I left the amp setting the same. My voltage is horrible, dropping into the 12s at full tilt at highway speeds. So i turned down the gain, pretty much a 1/4 turn back and my voltage is just as bad. My lights flicker horribly and the voltage isnt stable at all, my amp even went into protect. I double checked my wiring, all the positives are wired together/ all the negatives are wired together; parallel right? I put the icon back in today, turned the gain back up and the voltage is as stable as ever before, staying in the 14s. I just dont get it, can anyone explain this?

It could be a combination of having the SSD's wired slightly lower and having less box rise with the SSD's.

Sounds like a wiring problem on the SSD's. I would pull them out and check each coil individually to make sure there's no mechanical problems with the subs themselves. If that checks out, start from scratch and rewire them.

I assume you have the SSD's in series-parallel wiring?

I had a similar problem once, but it was because one of the coils went bad. Like Impious mentioned, check out the SSDs and see if there's a problem.

I know its been a really long time lol but anywho, I got questions and im pretty rusty on wiring configurations.But anyways I finally got around to pulling the ssds out of storage (brainstorming lol) and checking them with a dmm. Definitely confused, all the coils read 1.4-1.5(yes i measured them individually); those would be considered d2 correct? I bought them used and could swear I bought as d1's, but that's besides the point.

So I wire them up, in what I believe is parallel; all postives hooked together and same for negatives, do I have that right? Wired together they read .7-8which is what I want but after looking up wiring cconfigurations I feel like its wrong. Advice please.

It could be a combination of having the SSD's wired slightly lower and having less box rise with the SSD's.

I agree with this,the lower load from the SSD's causes the amp to work harder(more strain on electrical)

I know its been a really long time lol but anywho, I got questions and im pretty rusty on wiring configurations.But anyways I finally got around to pulling the ssds out of storage (brainstorming lol) and checking them with a dmm. Definitely confused, all the coils read 1.4-1.5(yes i measured them individually); those would be considered d2 correct? I bought them used and could swear I bought as d1's, but that's besides the point.

So I wire them up, in what I believe is parallel; all postives hooked together and same for negatives, do I have that right? Wired together they read .7-8which is what I want but after looking up wiring cconfigurations I feel like its wrong. Advice please.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

I might consider taking a guess that two 1,000 watt speakers in a sealed box will draw more power(less efficient and more draw on the electrical system) than one 1250 watt speaker in a more efficient ported speaker box.  Are your ssd equipped with the High QTS?  Even if they are I am thinking that the same stands to be true, however I have been wrong before ;)

1.4 ohms dc resistance per coil would be D2 coil configured subs.  If you indeed have all the coils and the two subs wired in parallel you only have a .5 ohm nominal load on your amp and that would be the reason for your problems.  If they were D1 coil subs that would be a .25 ohm nominal load and I doubt the amp would even begin to run with it.

Specs from Fi's website.

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2   Fs: 30.1 Hz | 30.1 Hz Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil

You need to be sure they're wired for a 2 ohm nominal load, wired like below.

2_2ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

So when I wire them parallel, the dmm is showing .7-8. Isnt that close enough to a 1 ohm load for my amp? So ported enclosures are more efficient? My plan was to use both ssds in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 32 hz on my sae 1200 if I had the wiring correct.

Just standard ssd's, no high qts. Theyre a few years old when they were still rated for 800 watts.

So when I wire them parallel, the dmm is showing .7-8. Isnt that close enough to a 1 ohm load for my amp? So ported enclosures are more efficient? My plan was to use both ssds in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 32 hz on my sae 1200 if I had the wiring correct.

Just standard ssd's, no high qts. Theyre a few years old when they were still rated for 800 watts.

thats all fine. what you're measuring with the dmm is the resistance of the subwoofers coil (just a big spool of wire). The impedance that the amplifier will see is essentially 1 ohm.  This isn't a necessary concept you really need to understand but if you want to learn more here's a link. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_characteristics_of_dynamic_loudspeakers

a ported box for those subs at 4-5 cu ft net will be great. 

Ok I guess my actual question now is: Is .7-8 ohm for the two dual 1.4 subs wired in parallel an accurate reading?

Too me it just seems to far off what 12volts diagram shows (2 dual 2s in parallel=.5 ohm)

1.4 ohms dc resistance per coil would be D2 coil configured subs.  If you indeed have all the coils and the two subs wired in parallel you only have a .5 ohm nominal load on your amp and that would be the reason for your problems.  If they were D1 coil subs that would be a .25 ohm nominal load and I doubt the amp would even begin to run with it.

Specs from Fi's website.

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2   Fs: 30.1 Hz | 30.1 Hz Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil

You need to be sure they're wired for a 2 ohm nominal load, wired like below.

2_2ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

Edit: nvm I overthought it a little.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Ok I guess my actual question now is: Is .7-8 ohm for the two dual 1.4 subs wired in parallel an accurate reading?

Too me it just seems to far off what 12volts diagram shows (2 dual 2s in parallel=.5 ohm)

measure each individual coil's dc resistance (which should be around 1.4 ohm) and do the math. you should get .35 ohm assuming 1.4 ohm per coil. .35 ohm dc = .5 ohm nominal.

If you're getting anything different than you didn't wire something correctly, your subs are boned, or your meter is jacked.