TreezNSteez

new system, need advice

Hey guys, i decided to upgrade from my JL 12w0. Decided to go with two sundown sa12's. need some help because im still kinda new to this.

1. the subs are dual 2 ohm. so if i buy an amp, would i wire it to 2 ohm or 1 ohm?

2. Sundown audio recommends 1.75 - 2 cubic feet. to get more out of my subs would i want a smaller box? larger box? or the recommended size?

3. i plan on getting a 1500 watt amplifier so i can send 750 rms per sub, sa12's are highly underrated in rms i heard.

i am on a budget so i would like a amplifier thats relatively cheap without sacrificing alot quality.

feel free to add anything, im open to all suggestions, but im solid on the subs.

just thought i'd add really quick.. when making a box, how do i know how bog to make the port? and other than L, W, and H, what other things do i need to take into consideration?

thanks

can your electrical support a .5 ohm load? if not youll need to run it off of a 2 ohm load or swap for d4 coils

make sure your amp does the RMS power @ 2ohms. you can't run 2 d2 subs @ 1ohm. also make sure you do the big 3 otherwise you'll most definitely be dimming your lights if not shutting the car off..

As for the box I would go a little bigger if your giving it more power... but the bigger the box the lower the tone you'll hit BUT you'll lose the power at mid range tones. does that make sense? i'm really tired and hoping it sound right.

Whatever! lol good luck buddy.

"As for the box I would go a little bigger if your giving it more power... but the bigger the box the lower the tone you'll hit BUT you'll lose the power at mid range tones. does that make sense? i'm really tired and hoping it sound right."

I have to disagree : I've always eared that you should have smaller box if you use more power.

But a small box can be peaky, when a big box will play more flat and may sound better than the small one.

I hope some other members will tell you more OP !

1. If you have dual 2’s your wiring options are .5, 2, or 8 ohms. It would be a lot safer to wire them to 2ohms.

2. Generally speaking larger enclosures tend to be more efficient meaning they usually yield more output around tuning on the same power when all other enclosure aspects are kept equal.

3. Relatively cheap is a relative term. What’s relatively cheap to me might not be relatively cheap to you so stating a specific dollar value or range will help with suggestions for an amp.

Regarding the port size you make the port based on the amount of port area your specific woofers need and the desired tuning frequency you want to have.

actually i might go 1800 or 2000 watt amp

750 rms for each sub is plenty. You won't gain much in loudness by going to 1000rms each.Plus you need to find one that will do 1500 rms @ 2ohms.

im looking to spend no more $250 on an amp, would like to stay closer to $200.

i was looking around on the web and found a few amps that people recommended. dont remember the exact name of the amps but the brands were cadence, mb quart, hifonics (brz series), ect. any amplifiers that you would recommend?

if one sub needs 1.75 cubes, does that mean 2 subs need 3.5 cubes?

and whats a rough estimate to build my own box.

you guys have been much more helpful than other forums ive tried, im loving this forum

im looking to spend no more $250 on an amp, would like to stay closer to $200.

i was looking around on the web and found a few amps that people recommended. dont remember the exact name of the amps but the brands were cadence, mb quart, hifonics (brz series), ect. any amplifiers that you would recommend?

if one sub needs 1.75 cubes, does that mean 2 subs need 3.5 cubes?

and whats a rough estimate to build my own box.

you guys have been much more helpful than other forums ive tried, im loving this forum

Are you going for spl or sq? Why do you want to run so much power when it wont gain you yhat much in loudness?

Yes on the cubes. One sheet of mdf and a box designer to help you get the size right.

1) Did you buy the SA's yet? If not, you should definitely buy a different coil configuration. D2's are not for you.

2) You do not adjust enclosure size to power, you adjust it to the sub you have and the response you want

3) In no way, no form should you think that the SA's are under rated and you can put more power on them. In the specific case here YOU should not.

1. If you have dual 2’s your wiring options are .5, 2, or 8 ohms. It would be a lot safer to wire them to 2ohms.

2. Generally speaking larger enclosures tend to be more efficient meaning they usually yield more output around tuning on the same power when all other enclosure aspects are kept equal.

3. Relatively cheap is a relative term. What’s relatively cheap to me might not be relatively cheap to you so stating a specific dollar value or range will help with suggestions for an amp.

Regarding the port size you make the port based on the amount of port area your specific woofers need and the desired tuning frequency you want to have.

Don't use a black font. Nearly everyone here uses black background.

Don't use a black font. Nearly everyone here uses black background.

Had no idea , background on my screen is white and everyone's post have been in black font.

1) Did you buy the SA's yet? If not, you should definitely buy a different coil configuration. D2's are not for you.

i did buy the SA's, why do you say that d2's arent for me?

so i should give them the recommended power? i read alot of people give them 1000 rms each daily.

if i got a amp that does 1500 at 2 ohm, would i need a better alternator and extra batteries? the car im putting the setup in is hopefully only temporary. hopefully selling it after winter, so i dont want to put alot of money into it.

Because running two D2's makes the final impedance tough and amps expensive. Bummer.

You've read a lot of comments from people that have no idea what they are talking about.

Here's some perspective for you. 750w or 1000w, you won't hear any difference.

And seriously those who think they "can handle it" or whatever are challenged when it comes to either setting gains or understanding anything about audio. And YES there are exceptions, but you never referenced chasing tenths on a meter so they don't apply to you.

Usually a big 3 upgrade is enough for 12-1500w..

you can do 1000w a sub BUT it has to be clean power and no clipping what so ever. If you don't know what clean power is then don't even try 1kw per sub. The lowest ohm impedance you're gonna find is 2ohm stable amp. I don't remember seeing any 1200w amps that are stable at .5ohms... besides the more "ohms" you have. the less strain on the electrical system is.

alright, im now going for 1200-1500 rms @ 2 ohm. any suggestions?

ill also sketch up a box design and post it here for some constructive criticism. ive seen a couple online so i know where to start

Because running two D2's makes the final impedance tough and amps expensive.
Yeah now you need to find a more powerful most likely more expensive amp. if your doing a 2 driver build use d4's. also if your gonna go with 750-1000w per sub i'd stay on the smaller side of enclosure volume. Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

Because running two D2's makes the final impedance tough and amps expensive.
Yeah now you need to find a more powerful most likely more expensive amp. if your doing a 2 driver build use d4's. also if your gonna go with 750-1000w per sub i'd stay on the smaller side of enclosure volume.

But he said he bought sa-12 d2 subs so I was giving him options on that.

You can buy 2 more D2 subs and you will be set!

That being said I'd rather buy a quality amp used than a poor quality new.

how about this amp? RE is pretty legit i hear, idk about this line though.

good reviews, 1700 @ 2 ohms

http://www.sonicelec...-XTX5000.1.html

Sadly, reviews on websites are almost always completely, totally worthless. Go back to Sonic Electronixs and check out the Boston Acoustics GT-2200, it's 900 watts at 2 ohms and under $200, only downside is its class AB and not class D which means it will be a little harder on your electrical and its going to be a a lot bigger. 1500 good watts at 2 ohms is going to cost more than $200.

i might be able to raise my amp budget a little bit.

about $100 for box

240 for the other sub

then i have about 200 left over, not counting the money from selling my old setup.

still dont wanna pay alot for an amp though

or do i just got 1 sub? how much louder is adding a second sub?

We need alot more info as to what you want?

i want it loud enough so that i dont turn the volume way up just to hear some good bass, thats why i think 2 subs will be better than one.

also going for SPL.

what else do you need to know?

i want it loud enough so that i dont turn the volume way up just to hear some good bass, thats why i think 2 subs will be better than one.

also going for SPL.

what else do you need to know?

2 subs are better than one, but do you have the electrical to backup the amp. Big three,extra battery or batteries and maybe a alternator.