kendall64

dd-1 or scope???

so i am wanting to set my gain on my amp and i have read a ton on the dd-1. some people love it and some think it is useless. Ok so i have no experience with an o scope at all but watched some videos and i think i could do it. So with someone like me who has never set there gains with an o scope would it still be a good idea for me to get an o scope or a dd-1? and can you tune your hertz with an o scope? I am open to any suggestions just please keep in mind that im a newbie with setting gains....

I'm not entirely sure why so many people are so happy about throwing money away for a dd-1.

Sort of like paying me money so I can spray paint a line from your doorstep to your car that way you don't get lost.

I'm not entirely sure why so many people are so happy about throwing money away for a dd-1.

Sort of like paying me money so I can spray paint a line from your doorstep to your car that way you don't get lost.

lol..... this^^^

Use your ears and if that isn't good enough, then turn it down.... all the way

Sorry i forgot that i would like to go into competitions so the music would just be a tone. My truck peaks at 47 hertz so that is why i would like to know if a scope can help me set my subsonic filter to 47 hertz?

If you're not a technician/engineer and will only be using the scope to set your gains then the dd-1 will probably be a better choice for you. I have never used a scope or dd-1 to set my gains and have never had issues with killing my equipment because of it.

Listen to Stefan, don't waste your money.

Sorry i forgot that i would like to go into competitions so the music would just be a tone. My truck peaks at 47 hertz so that is why i would like to know if a scope can help me set my subsonic filter to 47 hertz?

Well then the DD-1 is even more useless. Steve himself on here said that would be a poor use for it. Conveniently that matches with the fact it isn't useful for anything. An oscope won't help you win comps either btw. First and foremost you need to learn to hear/smell and know when to turn things down.

If your truck peaks at 47 I would think setting the subsonic at 47 will cut your output at 47hz ....and that defeats the purpose. Usually your subsonic is set a few hz below the tuning frequency of your enclosure. Never heard of setting it at your peak output, but i'm not a competitor...

Well then the DD-1 is even more useless. Steve himself on here said that would be a poor use for it. Conveniently that matches with the fact it isn't useful for anything. An oscope won't help you win comps either btw. First and foremost you need to learn to hear/smell and know when to turn things down.

If your playing tones then why do you even need to set a subsonic filter? Sure it's nice for safety, but if you have the luxury of knowing exactly what frequency your playing then it seems pointless.

Edited by stefanhinote

Someone please share the DD-1 info on the Facebook 'Car Audio Advice' group.

Someone please share the DD-1 info on the Facebook 'Car Audio Advice' group.

This thread, or the product page for the dd-1?

Your over thinking it.

Neither are going to be helpful.

All music is all recorded at different levels, with varying dynamics, so inevitably some of it will be quieter or louder than others at the same volume setting on the head-unit, so you'll be finding yourself raising the volume or lowering it by a few notches for max listening. Correct?

By that same token, think of what either the dd-1 or the o-scope is doing. Measuring some distortion at some reference level. Some reference level that is different than your music. So you could play it safe, and use a higher level, but then short change yourself on output, or do the opposite.

So why bother with either? Use your ears, and listen for audible distortion. Once that occurs, turn it down some.

Then use common sense when playing various music, as song A may sound fine at volume 21, but song B distorts at volume 19.

This is the most helpful post ive read on the DD-1, I was dumb and blew the money on one. Its got some uses but not many because music also has more distortion than a sine wave. I can set my gains with the DD1 on sine waves but as soon as I put on music to check it, its showing distortion. Only really thing ive liked it for is for testing songs to see which have a lot of inaudible distortion. Also makes you look more professional when you pull out it to tune someone's system. Although I just tune it by ear any ways.

Your over thinking it.

All music is all recorded at different levels, with varying dynamics, so inevitably some of it will be quieter or louder than others at the same volume setting on the head-unit, so you'll be finding yourself raising the volume or lowering it by a few notches for max listening. Correct?

By that same token, think of what either the dd-1 or the o-scope is doing. Measuring some distortion at some reference level. Some reference level that is different than your music. So you could play it safe, and use a higher level, but then short change yourself on output, or do the opposite.

So why bother with either? Use your ears, and listen for audible distortion. Once that occurs, turn it down some.

Then use common sense when playing various music, as song A may sound fine at volume 21, but song B distorts at volume 19.

This is the most helpful post ive read on the DD-1, I was dumb and blew the money on one. Its got some uses but not many because music also has more distortion than a sine wave. I can set my gains with the DD1 on sine waves but as soon as I put on music to check it, its showing distortion. Only really thing ive liked it for is for testing songs to see which have a lot of inaudible distortion. Also makes you look more professional when you pull out it to tune someone's system. Although I just tune it by ear any ways.

Actually doesn't work for that either. The algorithm shows any non-excitation frequency as distortion since it isn't truly even measuring THD. As for the other uses you think it has, I am interested but I doubt you'll like my retort.

If you cotinually blew subs and can't find your way to your doorstep after getting out of your car then you would understand.....lol

so if a scope is useless for me too then why do so many people set there gains with them? just curious?

Your over thinking it.

It can also show one's ignorance.

so if a scope is useless for me too then why do so many people set there gains with them? just curious?

Ignorance.

Your over thinking it.

Actually doesn't work for that either. The algorithm shows any non-excitation frequency as distortion since it isn't truly even measuring THD. As for the other uses you think it has, I am interested but I doubt you'll like my retort.

OK I understand, Least it looks good in my toolbox, and no M5 I respect your knowledge and have learned a great deal from reading your posts. Would love some of your knowledge on front stages for my build.

Your over thinking it.

The thing is most people that are hiring someone to do an install are ignorant, not saying you should spout out bull.gif but when you don't work at a shop and they want to know they are in good hands it always helps to have something to show that at least looks professional and makes them feel better about leaving their vehicle with you.

Ok then i guess i will just set my gain by ear. Thanks for all the help

One thing I should add. Depending on how loud what ever it is your setting the gain on, you may need to step away to notice any distortion.

IE: 2 18s and 4kw. Near it at any reasonably high level is well above our ears' sensitivity, and you'll have a harder time noticing any distortion.

Your over thinking it.

The thing is most people that are hiring someone to do an install are ignorant, not saying you should spout out bull.gif but when you don't work at a shop and they want to know they are in good hands it always helps to have something to show that at least looks professional and makes them feel better about leaving their vehicle with you.

Your over thinking it.

If they ask about something give them an explanation, plain and simple. :)

One thing I should add. Depending on how loud what ever it is your setting the gain on, you may need to step away to notice any distortion.

IE: 2 18s and 4kw. Near it at any reasonably high level is well above our ears' sensitivity, and you'll have a harder time noticing any distortion.

But you just said to set my gain by ear and now you say my ear will have a hard time noticing it so i just turn the volume up until i smell my subs? lol

But you just said to set my gain by ear and now you say my ear will have a hard time noticing it so i just turn the volume up until i smell my subs? lol

Close up, don't hear any mechanical noise? Good, now give your ears some distance so the loudness is reduced, and you'll be able to tell if it's distorting or not.

------

That's part of the reason why products like dd-1 can be profitable, not everyone can put two and two together.

Edited by stefanhinote