Sign in to follow this  
Robert

6 Phase high output MechMan alternator Explanation

Nice mechman video explaining the inner working of there 6 phase high output units.

Edited by crunkjuice1

Thanks Jon rockwoot.gif

I wonder what the turn on speed is, or rather rpm.

Edited by stefanhinote

I am very interested in this.

I am happy with my Mike Singer unit, but the diodes went out last night. Still charges, but only 63amps.

I don't mind repairing it and putting it back in, but if these alts are that much tougher I may have to get one, since it is a 4 hour process to change alts.

I am very interested in this.

I am happy with my Mike Singer unit, but the diodes went out last night. Still charges, but only 63amps.

I don't mind repairing it and putting it back in, but if these alts are that much tougher I may have to get one, since it is a 4 hour process to change alts.

What does your car idle at?

I have a custom unit using parts from this and mine puts out 201 amps at 600 engine RPM. Mine is for a ford and externally regulated but I like how they explained the internals a bit more as there has been around 3 versions of the SMD spec

2011 SMD alts specs:

DR44G based 3 phase large case GM internals

single solid copper rectifier w/ 8 press fit high amp diodes

pretty good stuff

2012 SMD alt specs:

6 phase round wire stator

twin radial finned rectifiers w/ 16 surface mount diodes

Really good stuff

2013 SMD alt specs:

6 phase hairpin stator

twin rectifier plates with 12 press fit high amp diodes

Gucci stuff

And I know numerous people who have a relatively low engine idle rpm, though higher then yours, and their units were essentially off when the vehicle was idling.

What do you think caused the diodes to burn out? It can happen to any alt regardless who makes it. You have to be sure it wasn't user error because you can go and get a mechman unit that costs more but end up burning that out too. I dont mean to sound like I'm blaming you but as long as you know you were treating it right and it still died then the next step is to either get it fixed or switch company and give mechman a try.

yes I remember Shogen having that issue for starters, that is a very important piece of information that your asking for. HOPEFULLY they have squared that away since then....

Edited by crunkjuice1

ill tell you this,

i have went thru a few alternators on my road, and ill tell you i know for a fact right now i dont have enough battery for my load, and my mechman 6 phase has really delt with it, knock on wood no issues yet. and man. i have really been happy with mine,

yes I remember Shogen having that issue for starters, that is a very important piece of information that your asking for. HOPEFULLY they have squared that away since then....

Sadly still having this issues... MechMan offered to have me send it out for an adjustment but I've already the mechanic twice for an alternator swap $70 x 2 = $140 plus it cost me $20+ to ship it.... Unfortunately lost my employment and couldn't really afford to have another swap done or be without my car while I hustle to do work on the road.... I waste ALOT more gas than I ever did before because I have to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep my car from dipping below 12v when idling or at a red light..... Listening to music with the car off yields more voltage .... Sadly I think they should've offered to refund some money so I could send it out or send me a freaking label as I know that CAN be done... /rant.... It works when driving or gassing the car .... FML

Sorry to hear that Shogen. Good luck you will land on your feet.