tysonm

Do vehicles have specific hz?

I was talking to a guy in an audio shop and he was telling me about how each vehicle has a specific hz range which if you have your box set to that hz, that your subwoofer would sound louder in your vehicle. Which of course, the box would have to be built to the spec of the subwoofer.

For example, if you have a blazer and its "specific hertz" (lets say it's 40hz), so if you have the box tuned @ 40hz then your sub would be playing at optimum loudness in a blazer. Is this true or false?

Edited by Crash

I have always tailored my tuning to my woofers T/S, not the resonant tuning of my cabin. What happens when you roll your windows down? What if you have more passengers? Surely it will change the cabin tuning, at least to my knowledge. Tuning your enclosure also depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Higher tuning, like your 40hz, are usually for SPL applications, as lower tuning is usually for SQ. That is how I have always understood things. Works out for me, but I could be wrong.

Edited by BrutalBasser

Each vehicle has different gains and nulls. Depending on your goals is what would dictate the tuning though.

Need input from box designers.Thats one.

adhd.gif

Edited by pmureika

Looks like he told you to build a fart cannon.

It's great for playing tones at a competition but definitely not good for playing music.

Looks like he told you to build a fart cannon.

It's great for playing tones at a competition but definitely not good for playing music.

I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's resonant frequency, everything has one.

Don't they call them burp boxes for a reason?

It's resonant frequency, everything has many.

Fixed. Of course the first mode is dominant.

It's resonant frequency, everything has many.

Fixed. Of course the first mode is dominant.

Thats not where you want to tune the box for sq?

No, if you tune the box at the same frequency your car resonates at, you'll get a large increase at that narrow frequency band. For SQ you want a really flat frequency response, not big spikes.

I dont know how old he is. Some people just want loud!!!!

Looks like everyone is saying that tuning your enclosures frequency to the cabin will give you SPL and not SQ. I was curious about that question since I'm planning on starting a build for two 12" Icons. Thanks all for the quick replys! :)