Dave88LX

My '97 Formula w/ 383

Started side-tracking a thread with Mr. Bob, so I'm dragging it back over here.

It's been a good many years since I got the parts and built it so I don't remember the specifics, but basically a high compression N/A 383. Only was able to get it to the track once last year. Pep Boys Z-rated tires from 2002, mail-order tune, stock shifter, stock suspension, "granny shifted" etc., ran a 12.8 @ 114 MPH. Hoping with a couple small changes, like oh, traction, a tune, I can get it to dip into the 11s.

Couple pics.

P1130457.jpg

firebird_2may08_2.jpg

No exciting videos, sorry. But, at least you can see it runs now...LOL

That's awesome Dave :D I think it's definitely got 11 sec potential. 10 year old tires...how hard and dry rotted are they? lol

I've wanted a TA for a long time, but my driveway is overfull at the moment.

I'm a big fan of of the lt1. Bigger fan of the ls1.

I've had a few camaros and C5.

Awesome car buddy.

That's awesome Dave biggrin.png I think it's definitely got 11 sec potential. 10 year old tires...how hard and dry rotted are they? lol

I've wanted a TA for a long time, but my driveway is overfull at the moment.

I think so too. I have an MGW shifter I need to install. Hell I had 100 lbs of baby seats in the back of it too when I made my pass, along with the spare tire. Literally no race prep. I want to get it dynotuned, get some proper tires, get the shifter installed, and then see where I am at with it. Haven't touched the suspension either.

I'm a big fan of of the lt1. Bigger fan of the ls1.

I've had a few camaros and C5.

Awesome car buddy.

You are a sick man! Why would you torture yourself with an LT1! I think they meant well, but that cam-driven optispark-behind-waterpump fiasco...bleh. That reminds me. I bought a Dynaspark to run with my Delteq, and the first two Dynasparks had no output. Have a 3rd, hoping this one finally works.

I've only owned ls1s. But have some buddies back in the day that ran lt1s.

I knew I liked your name. Lol I'm a huge car guy and love some good ford power.

My 2003 Saleen would run 12.6's NA with slicks and built rear. 270rwhp

My 1989 Saleen would run 11.6's NA 347 on Drag radials. 400rwhp

Our 2003 Cobra would run 9.6's built all to hell and back. Lol 700rwhp

My SRT-10 Quad Cab truck was a 11 sec truck on a 175 shot. Made 600rwhp

now I'm building boxes and getting loud. My wife seems happier although this hobby seems just as expensive. Haha

Your name also looks very familiar, are you on Corral, Yellowbullet or SVTPerformance?

I think so too. I have an MGW shifter I need to install. Hell I had 100 lbs of baby seats in the back of it too when I made my pass, along with the spare tire. Literally no race prep. I want to get it dynotuned, get some proper tires, get the shifter installed, and then see where I am at with it. Haven't touched the suspension either.

Yeah sounds like you got plenty of things to do to help you get into the 11's. Been awhile since my drag racing days, but isn't that already high 11 sec mph with traction? I remember when my 89 GT was NA it did 108 with 12.60's with so-so traction on slicks.

I want to dyno tune my 88LX and get something other than the cheapie tires on Ponies. Read lots of good things about Nitto NT05's, since I want a more streetable tire than a typical DR. Are you wanting to stay with "street" tires?

I don't remember what shifter my buddy had on his 94 Formula years ago, but damn that T-56 was the smoothest shifting thing ever. Only a LT1 car, but I loved how it felt and drove. Then we put a nitrous kit on it and left the jets out! Fun times! :nightrider:

Edited by ImBob

I knew I liked your name. Lol I'm a huge car guy and love some good ford power.

My 2003 Saleen would run 12.6's NA with slicks and built rear. 270rwhp

My 1989 Saleen would run 11.6's NA 347 on Drag radials. 400rwhp

Our 2003 Cobra would run 9.6's built all to hell and back. Lol 700rwhp

My SRT-10 Quad Cab truck was a 11 sec truck on a 175 shot. Made 600rwhp

now I'm building boxes and getting loud. My wife seems happier although this hobby seems just as expensive. Haha

This guy has had some fun droolcup.gif

I'm trying to not go overboard with stereo as I have cars...but every time you have a taste of something you just want more...and a little more...and a whole lot more Doh.gif

a friend of mine just replaced his worn out ls1 with a rebuilt 6.0 in his t/a

and I may have bought a 2nd gen s10 to do a ls swap.....currently removing the 4 cylinder and keeping an eye out for a engine

Your name also looks very familiar, are you on Corral, Yellowbullet or SVTPerformance?

Me? If so, yes, I am. Not much lately, but have been.
Yeah sounds like you got plenty of things to do to help you get into the 11's. Been awhile since my drag racing days, but isn't that already high 11 sec mph with traction? I remember when my 89 GT was NA it did 108 with 12.60's with so-so traction on slicks.
I'm told I have the MPH to run 11's, if not damn close. I still think there is some MPH left in it too once I get the aforementioned things squared away!
I want to dyno tune my 88LX and get something other than the cheapie tires on Ponies. Read lots of good things about Nitto NT05's, since I want a more streetable tire than a typical DR. Are you wanting to stay with "street" tires?
I'm not sure what I want to do for tires. I have a POS 10-bolt in here, and I've "heard" that slicks are actually easier on your rear end because of the "crinkling" action absorbing some of the shock load that would otherwise be transferred to the weak parts of the rear end. I don't know how much truth there is to that though.

his first run after the break-in tune
Thanks for posting!

Here's mine. 60-foots are killing me. 1.6 60's are hookin!!!

265115_10150663575610263_6139774_n.jpg

Edited by Dave88LX

yeah, his videos from the other night, looks like he gets out of the hole really easy!

I gotta stop reading this thread. Makes me wanna get my shit right and hit the track. My turbo kit is staring at me as I type this lol.