sundownz

Sundown X-10 / X-15 / X-18 Prototypes Here

Just got them in and QC tested them all on the bench; very happy so far. Still need to get them fully charged then run preliminary specs (have to send them out to do so as our magnetizer isn't in yet) -- but we are still stiffening up the surrounds so those will only be ~80% accurate initially.

This is also the first look at our tooled 18" spider adapter piece !

On to the photos (video of the 18" is uploading) :

CIMG6791.JPG

CIMG6792.JPG

CIMG6793.JPG

CIMG6794.JPG

CIMG6795.JPG

CIMG6796.JPG

CIMG6797.JPG

CIMG6798.JPG

CIMG6799.JPG

i need those 15 inch soft parts so badly right now.. i just cooked a sub a show lastnight :(

Is all that suspension really needed for a small motor like that?

The motor isn't so small ; it has a 66mm magnet stack and a bump-out for around 50mm of x-mech and is 190mm in diameter.

There is no good reason to use the triple joint or the surround as a brake when these parts are now available -- so yes, it is going to be quite advantageous in terms of reliability and extending usable throw past where previous frames and parts allowed either for dynamics or SPL competition usage.

The motor isn't so small ; it has a 66mm magnet stack and a bump-out for around 50mm of x-mech and is 190mm in diameter.

There is no good reason to use the triple joint or the surround as a brake when these parts are now available -- so yes, it is going to be quite advantageous in terms of reliability and extending usable throw past where previous frames and parts allowed either for dynamics or SPL competition usage.

Must just be the picture making the motor look small then. lol I certienly meant nothing negative with my question.

I am defeinity looking forward to getting my hands on some Zv4 18"s for the PT. I have about 6,000w per subs waiting for them.

Edited by bassahaulic

Must just be the picture making the motor look small then. lol I certienly meant nothing negative with my question.

I am defeinity looking forward to getting my hands on some Zv4 18"s for the PT. I have about 6,000w per subs waiting for them.

Compared to the new massive frames they do look a bit small :)

First video of the X-18 up.

I've noticed some confusion about these testing videos; all of the drivers we test exhibit a similar sound at very high travel -- bit of a "whopping" sound is the best way to describe it. It's a combination of BL distortion (as we always push drivers well past linearity) , some mechanical (as drivers are a little noisy at high throw when not in boxes) , and also the camera mic itself doesn't do so well when that close to a driver creating that amplitude of sound.

Will the NS come with this new suspension setup?

I think 2 NS 18"s with this suspension on 12k would do some work.

Edited by bassahaulic

Damn what monsters!!

I cant wait to see what these do once people get there hands on them. These look perfect for someone like me that wants a low tuned air moving wind tunnel.

Will the NS come with this new suspension setup?

I think 2 NS 18"s with this suspension on 12k would do some work.

Yes it will.

I will also have "stacking" spiders of the same type as the NS v.1 / v.2 available -- those are more SPL oriented and we can adjust the stiffness to much higher levels than any of our normal "pack" spiders.

any lose eta on 15 inch soft parts ?

Once I get the final material in I can get a decent ETA; we are still tweaking the material of the surround.

This is what I am coming up with on pricing for these drivers :

X-10 : $329

X-12 : $349

X-15 : $389

X-18 : $409

This is MAP from any authorized dealers (which is a shipped price). We will also have pre-order specials as these are launched; they may not launch all at once for reference. The pre-order price is TBA but will follow suit roughly at the same type of % discount as past pre-orders.

It is based entirely on their cost to build and I have not figured in a single cent for the money spent on the new tooling or patent fees.

I don't have any photos of the coils up -- they are 3" 4-layer CCAW and ~60mm long winding length.

Whats the rated power handling?

I am very excited about this line... a truly high excursion line at reasonable prices. I had a very particular vision with this line in mind -- I was not happy with simply making an evolutionary step from the SA line as our previous prototype from a few years back was. I wanted a fully new platform line to delivery truly GREAT performance. I think once the final specs are released and people see / hear these they will be a big hit.

Another cool thing about the X series motor is that it can be pretty easily re-coned with many popular 3" coils from custom sources such as FixMySpeaker in case someone tears one up and wants to go that route :) Many 8-layer flats will fit the gap.

Jacob any rough estimates on box sizes for these? Looks like the new Z's will work with fairly small boxes, just wondering if these would be similar.

Looks freaking sick. I 18 looks like a 15 lol.

What about boxes? Are we still looking at smaller boxes compared to other high performance drivers?

Looks freaking sick. I 18 looks like a 15 lol.

What about boxes? Are we still looking at smaller boxes compared to other high performance drivers?

Yes, our traditional box sizes are fine.

The X-12s are out for magnetizing right now; haven't shipped the 10,15,18 yet so here are some pics of their depths :

X-10.JPG

* X-10

X-15.JPG

* X-15

X-18.JPG

* X-18

are those 18" basket the same kind atomic uses for their apxx & treo uses for their ssx line ?

The 18" 6-spoke is an open tool and 100s of companies use them -- so yes it is.

We've tooled up an adapter to use the same spider size as our 15" frame on it, though.