Sign in to follow this  
EPerez

Component wiring with 2 Channel Amp

So I just placed an order for the new Crescendo Mezzo components and I was wondering how to wire them up once I receive them.

I have a 2 channel Kicker ZR1000 (I got it for $30 and it works perfect biggrin.png ) that I will use to power them. The only problem is that I'm not sure what to put the crossover module at. The options are bypass, lowpass and hipass. I used the hipass for the coaxials, but I'm not sure if that would be used for the components, since it has the crossover box.

20121212_154741.jpg

Also, I'm going to keep my stock head unit. I have 2 Crescendo BC2ks (strapped) and the kicker ZR1000. What should I use to connect the RCAs up to? For my friend's cars, they have a little blue box from meijer's/walmart that taps into the back speakers, but I feel there's something better that will provide cleaner sound. Anyone have any ideas of what to use?

Crescendo just called me back. I called this morning and left a message asking when the pre-sale will be over. I told him I just ordered the Mezzo components and he said I'm really going to like them. He said they also just made some last minute changes to the tweeters and they are even better.

Edited by Bassink

You will need to high pass them ~80 hertz.

So put hipass on the amp's cross over module and then wire up the components normally with that crossover box?

Edited by Bassink

Ahh just saw noticed what amp you are using. I'm not sure how those OS kicker crossovers work.

Yea, so what exactly does that crossover box do when you have the components hooked up to it? Does it make it so the midbass speaker only receives certain frequencies and the tweeter receive certain frequencies?

So put hipass on the amp's cross over module and then wire up the components normally with that crossover box?

Yes, components can't handle really low notes, that's why you have subs. I kept my factory HU but wasn't happy with the passive Line Out Converter (LOC) and bought an active one for about $100 and am very happy with it.

Yea, so what exactly does that crossover box do when you have the components hooked up to it? Does it make it so the midbass speaker only receives certain frequencies and the tweeter receive certain frequencies?

The passive crossover that comes with the comps will high pass the tweeters and low pass the mids. You usually use your head unit or amp to high pass the mids so they don't play frequencies below ~80 hertz. (depends on the mid)

If you are going to use the crossovers that come with them, then set your amp to bypass.

The passive crossover that comes with the comps will high pass the tweeters and low pass the mids. You usually use your head unit or amp to high pass the mids so they don't play frequencies below ~80 hertz. (depends on the mid)

Ok, then I should use the hipass filter. I just wasn't sure if the crossover box would do that for the midbass.

Yes, components can't handle really low notes, that's why you have subs. I kept my factory HU but wasn't happy with the passive Line Out Converter (LOC) and bought an active one for about $100 and am very happy with it.

I mostly understand what is passive and active when it comes too speakers, but not sure with that LOC. What is the difference and how do you use it?

If you are going to use the crossovers that come with them, then set your amp to bypass.

I'm using the crossover that does come with them. That crossover will do everything?

Ok, then I should use the hipass filter. I just wasn't sure if the crossover box would do that for the midbass.

I mostly understand what is passive and active when it comes too speakers, but not sure with that LOC. What is the difference and how do you use it?

Passive LOCs take the relatively high powered signal from your HUs speaker wires and converts them into a lower powered signal for your amp. Active LOCs use electronic do-dads, not resistors and such-forth to convert the signal. Many are happy with the passive, I wasn't. I get more flexibility from my Audio Control LC2i.

SS Teacher, how will I know if I'm happy with it? I don't know if that's a dumb question or not lol I don't have an EQ. Should I try the passive first? If so, what would you reccommend?

Edited by Bassink

Not a dumb question at all, many factory radios have processors, some cut bass at higher volumes, I didn't know what was wrong at first, I just knew it wasn't right. I think a decent 4 channel passive was $40, the Audio Control unit was $100 and it has more flexibility. I hope some others chime in here, my advice would be to do a good active one in case you're not happy with the passive. Audio Control is still made here in the US, another plus in my book, amazing customer service, pride of ownership, etc. Good luck, I wish I'd found this forum before I bought anything.

Not a dumb question at all, many factory radios have processors, some cut bass at higher volumes, I didn't know what was wrong at first, I just knew it wasn't right. I think a decent 4 channel passive was $40, the Audio Control unit was $100 and it has more flexibility. I hope some others chime in here, my advice would be to do a good active one in case you're not happy with the passive. Audio Control is still made here in the US, another plus in my book, amazing customer service, pride of ownership, etc. Good luck, I wish I'd found this forum before I bought anything.

Thanks man!! I really appreciate it. I know I wish I found this forum a while ago too! Can you give me links or the model names, so I can look them up more in depth?

Passive crossovers don't highpass the mid, he would still need to actively highpass them. In this case, he would need to use the crossover in the amp to highpass the mids. Though he should research to find out what the crossover frequency is of that board.

Ill be sure to do that impious. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure but that doesn't make my system active if I use that audio control unit right? I'm really not sure exactly what it does, I only read up on it quickly.

Edited by Bassink

If you are going to use the crossovers that come with them, then set yourselves amp to bypass.

Passive crossovers don't highpass the mid, he would still need to actively highpass them. In this case, he would need to use the crossover in the amp to highpass the mids. Though he should research to find out what the crossover frequency is of that board.

Sorry I guess I misunderstood.

Thanks man!! I really appreciate it. I know I wish I found this forum a while ago too! Can you give me links or the model names, so I can look them up more in depth?

This is what I bought and am happy with http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I/AudioControl-LC2i.html?tp=2001 Unfortunately they tend to hype their products. They are still great quality, but their analog EQs (which this ISN"T) are getting out dated and they can be pricey. Passive LOCs are cheaper than I thought with most being less than $20. I wouldn't necessarily buy from Crutchfield unless their price was competitive, but they do provide good info and have awesome customer service. Most of the guys on this forum have upgraded HUs and don't need LOCs, but you might want to make a new thread.

That's the one I was reading about. I'll look into it more and see. Thanks!