waddle

self excite alt problems

okay so a couple weeks ago my first h/o alt that i had singer instal a self excite and extrenal reg. on started being all buggy and sometimes not charging at all when i would turn on my car, well it just finally started getting colder in mn so I kinda wondered if that was the problem, anyway i already had a better alt on the way, a mechman 320 self excite. and when i installed it i was in a friends heated garage, and it fired up right away. Now every morning on my way to work it takes like 5-10 minutes of straight battery power before the alt kicks on. however if I drive home from work, get same problem, but then maybe an hour after car sits when i get home I go out again, It fires up right away. Now if it was only one alt I'd blame the alt, but with it being both of them is there anything I need to know to fix this problem

Sounds like a bad connection or just faulty regulators.

Well, let's cover the basics first.

Explain how you know it's running off battery only for 5 minutes before the alts kicks on.

Also explain how you know the alts kick on AND how you know both of them are kicking on together.

well i run a volt meter, thats the first thing, both alts are set for about 15. when i start my car and it says about 11.9 and keeps dropping and my lights are dim and fans are slow and computer says " check charging system"(although that ones kinda irrelavent, becuase i dont use the stock plug)

then when it kicks in jumps right up to 14.8-15, and this isnt both on at the same time, its one alt in the car or the other

ok, so there is ever only 1 alt in the vehicle but both alts do this...

And for it to take so long, i'm assuming you are driving with RPMs over 1-2,000 easy..

It couldn't be your belt.

Check and see if it kicks on at the Same Time every morning after starting vehicle or after putting it in gear.

If it's time related, may be a computer issue with self-exciting alt.

I want to say regulator issue possibly but weird the regulator would work normal after coming on and staying on.

yeah i dont quite understand it, from my understanding, as soon as the alt spun it was supposed to kick on, and yes driving 1500-3k and no belt slip

ok, so there is ever only 1 alt in the vehicle but both alts do this...

And for it to take so long, i'm assuming you are driving with RPMs over 1-2,000 easy..

It couldn't be your belt.

Check and see if it kicks on at the Same Time every morning after starting vehicle or after putting it in gear.

If it's time related, may be a computer issue with self-exciting alt.

I want to say regulator issue possibly but weird the regulator would work normal after coming on and staying on.

Actually, it could be the belt. Could be slipping when cold, and once it warms up, bingo, traction. The computer would have no effect on the alt. It is one wire only, so it should have constant voltage.

well ive watched the belt and didnt see any, plus if it was slipping wouldnt it make sound

You can't always see and hear belt slip. Your eyes and ears will easily deceive you as well.

i know belt slip definitely influences the output potential of an alt but to not come on at all while driving, that should be definitely noticeable under the hood.

And yea, i'm not too too familiar with single wire alts so that suggestion does sound stupid now, lol.

Now, i see why the regulator was suggested.. what the hell else is left?

My vote is the regulator now too, hehe.

try revving the motor after you start it up to say 3,000 3,500 rpm before driving it.

if i rev it when i turn it on, the mechman dooesnt turn on, and with the other alt, that works but alot of times that would confuse the alt or something and throw it to 16-18 volts for a couple seconds, and then usually turn right back off

anymore ideas, yesterday took about 10 minutes before and after work, 10 hours in between, today took 20 minutes in the morning and after work fired right up

Why would you use a self excting alt and an external regulator? The external regulator Singer/MM sends out with the alt has a turn on lead like an amplifier, so when voltage is applied when the key is turned it will turn it on.

well on the singer it is the way youre saying, but the mechman i dont know how that one works, but i know the guy i got the mechman from got the self excite because cobalts hhr's ions ect have a weird charging system so we needed a way to bypass it so i know the mechman is self excite, and singer used the term self excite, but the way you explained it is correct

well on the singer it is the way youre saying, but the mechman i dont know how that one works, but i know the guy i got the mechman from got the self excite because cobalts hhr's ions ect have a weird charging system so we needed a way to bypass it so i know the mechman is self excite, and singer used the term self excite, but the way you explained it is correct

The External regulator bypasses the stock charging system (ECU) which controls when the alt charges and when it doesn't, the regulator should "turn" the alternator on and allowing it to make power.. It doesn't seem like you have it setup correctly or you may not have enough engine RPMs to turn it on. I have the 320 also.

Edited by Julian

mm isnt external regulator, just set for like 14.8 all day

its not engine rpms, i can rev it but until engine warms up it wont kick on

no that was filled with epoxy or something from mm

You may need to have it externally regulated to bypass the ECU's charging, normally ecus will limit the voltage to improve MPG, lower emissions, ETC regardless of the draw... That is how my mustang is... most newer (2004+) are electronically controlled, which sucks.

You may need to have it externally regulated to bypass the ECU's charging, normally ecus will limit the voltage to improve MPG, lower emissions, ETC regardless of the draw... That is how my mustang is... most newer (2004+) are electronically controlled, which sucks.

it is bypassed, the ecu has no control over the alt, its just a pos wire is all it takes that goes to the battery

I ordered an Alt with the self excite module and when it arrived it didnt work. I cut all the wires to the self excite and used my stock harness, works like a charm now. Its on a 2012 Dodge Ram . I feel your pain

take your original harness and use a t-tap to tap into a wire that is powered by ignition meaning you will have to try a few times to get the right wire... you don't want to tap into a constant... the singer alternator does it have a box on the top of it (regulator) or is it just 3 wires? Is the alternator powder coated?

if its jumping to 16-18v i would vote regulator problems.

They should stay at whatever it is set at even if you have 2 running.