DanP

Which Sundowns to go with!

Hey guys last night I blew my REX10D4's in my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

So here my current situation, I have Kicker DS693's in the front doors and DS65's in the back doors.

I was running the REX10's with a Hifonics 1500D @ 4 Ohms which was overpowering them a bit but meh happens.(Amp is 1 Ohm stable)

Alright so heres the dilemma I'm looking at either SA10s or E10s.(I listen to Rap/Rock)

Currently I have a 3/4 MDF 2.0 cu ft box with 2 separate chambers and L ports tuned to 38 Hz (Also have a Sealed box laying around with .69 cu ft per chamber I believe)

Now I'm only currently purchasing 2 with the intent of purchasing another 2 in the future. But I'm unsure which ones will best fit my setup.

(Sorry for the kind of broken sentences but was trying to provide details without giving a wall of text, I'm sure even with trying to provide everything I've still forgotten something though)

Go with the SA series .... Proven time and time again as great daily sub woofer. The 600 watt rms rating is very conservative as long as your smart with your setup.

Go with the SA series .... Proven time and time again as great daily sub woofer. The 600 watt rms rating is very conservative as long as your smart with your setup.

Alright well since my amp @ 2 ohms pushes 1000 watts and @ 1 ohm pushes 1500 which should I go with overpower or under power? (This is going off the amps specs and not the actual output of the amp as I have yet to test it) Considering based on this it kinda chooses whether to go with the D4 or D2 I Know once I add an additional 2 10"s to my setup I'll have to upgrade the amp but currently Im only looking to upgrade my subs

Edited by DanP

I mean I've never actually heard Sundowns in person, is there difference between the E10 SD2 and SA10 Extremely noticeable ? I'm not trying to be cheap, but at the same time I'm not trying to break the bank for minimal gain.

I mean I've never actually heard Sundowns in person, is there difference between the E10 SD2 and SA10 Extremely noticeable ? I'm not trying to be cheap, but at the same time I'm not trying to break the bank for minimal gain.

I'd get the Sa's.

There is no such thing as under powering a sub. Also you aren't going to notice a difference in 1000 and 1500 watts.

That being said I always like to have a little headroom rather than trying to squeeze power out of a smaller one.

There is no such thing as under powering a sub. Also you aren't going to notice a difference in 1000 and 1500 watts.

That being said I always like to have a little headroom rather than trying to squeeze power out of a smaller one.

Wouldn't really say there's no such thing as under powering because you can blatantly under power for example putting a sub that can handle say 2000 rms on an amp that only pushes say 500 rms.

Also I was talking about a difference within the speakers not so much the amp.

Wouldn't really say there's no such thing as under powering because you can blatantly under power for example putting a sub that can handle say 2000 rms on an amp that only pushes say 500 rms.

Nothing wrong with putting 500 watts to a 2000 watt sub, you just aren't going to get full potential out of it. You wouldn't hurt it at all.

Nothing wrong with putting 500 watts to a 2000 watt sub, you just aren't going to get full potential out of it. You wouldn't hurt it at all.

My XCONs will be getting 650 RMS when I'm done. I had a single XCON on 600 and it was very loud.

SA's have more motor force and similar suspension compliance(slightly more than the sd's) so they should be louder on the same power. Plus, if you plan upgrading power, you already have subs that can take it ;)

Have you looked into the Obsidian OA series? Cheaper in price, but very similar. I've owned both, and have to say that I like the Obsidians better as far as output and SQ. Currently running ~3000 watts to two of them and they have yet to even get warm.

Have you looked into the Obsidian OA series? Cheaper in price, but very similar. I've owned both, and have to say that I like the Obsidians better as far as output and SQ. Currently running ~3000 watts to two of them and they have yet to even get warm.

See now I'm gonna get in one of those stalemates where I'm going to start looking at 20 different woofers and have trouble deciding which to go with, those Obsidian 15s look like a pretty good deal though @ $365.43 for 2

Im thinking im still gonna go with the 2 SA 10 D4s

Edited by DanP

.... I would go with the obsidian just my personal opinion. I think they hold value and will go up in the future once the company starts expanding.

I see Sundown offers a replacement at a reduced price if you've caused damage to the sub woofers from misuse. Anyone aware of how reduced this price actually is?

I'm definitely lost in a world of sub woofers currently, I think I narrowed it down to either 2 15" Obsidian D4s or 2 SA10 D4's Anyone have direct experience with the 2 sub woofers willing to give me a little push in a certain direction?

(And not sure if I mentioned this going more for SPL then SQ)

Two 10's vs two 15's is a horrible comparison. If you have the room for 15's this isn't even a question.

Two 10's vs two 15's is a horrible comparison. If you have the room for 15's this isn't even a question.

Good point, ordering the 15s tomorrow

and some wood/wire, guess ill get it all staged so when the subs come I can just drop and go.

Edited by DanP

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

Welp went to Home Depot picked up some 3/4 MDF Today (Way more expensive then I remember $34 a sheet) right now I'm searching around for Box designs so far I've found 3.png

Which is 5.96 cubes tuned to 33hz (Posted on Realmofexcursion? Forum by profundus-sanus.) meets the recommended air space, and is only 1hz off the recommended tune. Only thing I haven't been able to find is there any benefit of having the port on the side? (Although I haven't searched on this much yet.)

Edited by DanP

How much port area does it have? It could also use some bracing.

2.png1-1.png Edited by DanP