Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Windows 10 install done,a little different but not to bad so far..smile.png

Snatched the new toothy brush up today..Excited to get this baby charged up smile.png

">http://20150729_204030_zpshyuycbzb.jpg

10:15 and I am FAMISHED. Thinking about running someplace....

however when I do I have to grab dinner too. Regrettably my wives sister is a Gluten Free Vegetarian and I "get" to cook dinner.

Make her a salad and the rest of the fam something else
That would be mean.
Seriosly? I would have never thought that you would say that.

Why? That is ridiculous.

It is someone's birthday and you invite them over for dinner and then serve them a side dish as a main course? Insanely rude.

You didn't say it was her birthday!

Either way she is a guest, that is funny.  Her hubby is out of town so she came over.  Wouldn't give me any insight on what to cook her.

10:15 and I am FAMISHED. Thinking about running someplace....

however when I do I have to grab dinner too. Regrettably my wives sister is a Gluten Free Vegetarian and I "get" to cook dinner.

Make her a salad and the rest of the fam something else
That would be mean.
Seriosly? I would have never thought that you would say that.
Why? That is ridiculous.

It is someone's birthday and you invite them over for dinner and then serve them a side dish as a main course? Insanely rude.

You didn't say it was her birthday!

Does that make a difference?  I could re-word it like so:

If you invite someone over for dinner and then serve them a side dish as a main course? Insanely rude.

Agreed, but I was on the internet, so I could be rude.

The meal does sounds good, care to share the curry recipe?

I will tomorrow when I am not in my phone Can I assume you don't make your own curry paste?

What kind of loser doesn't make his own curry paste?!?!?!

<---- This kind.

But I'm willing to do that too.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR TOOTHBRUSH.

TOOTHBRUSHES ARE FOR FAGS.

Toothbrushes are not gay! And is not rainbow color.

When you realize you could be the person you have been striving to become.

Do you keep on the doing what comes easy or do you push yourself to go and blaze new trails.

I have found the greatest satisfaction in life is being able to give  yourself and expect nothing in return.

I have found the greatest satisfaction in life is being able to give  yourself and expect nothing in return.

X2!!

Do you keep on the doing what comes easy or do you push yourself to go and blaze new trails.

Goals need to be dynamic enough that you never reach them completely, but get far enough along to be satisfactory.

Thai Tofu Lettuce Wrap

Wrap contents:

Julienne 2 carrots & a cucumber

Clean some cilantro

Diagonal cut a bunch of green onions (green part)

Clean Bibb/Green leaf lettuce for wrap

Take a package of extra firm tofu.  Cut it in half (thickness) squeeze lightly between paper towels.  Set on a thick bed of paper towels, cover with paper towels and add a top that can compress the tofu with a couple pounds of weight for a couple hours.

Lightly toss tofu in a couple tablespoons of soy sauce and then sprinkle arrow root over the top of them.  Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a baking sheet.  Plop the tofu on and roast in the oven at 350F for 20-25minutes until golden brown flipping once halfway through.

Sauce (need a tbsp per wrap or so):

3 glugs of soy sauce (around a tbsp per)

2 tbsp of ginger juice (grated with pulp)

2 tsp of sugar

Sambal Oelek to taste.  I like a lot as this dish NEEDS heat

Glug of Mirin (tbsp or so)

Juice of half a lime

*note I measure nothing so if it is too acidic up the soy/mirin/sugar.  If it is too salty up everything but the soy.

Assemble the wrap:

Lettuce / Tofu / Carrot / Cucumber / Green Onion / Cilantro / Sauce

Eat

Thai Tofu Lettuce Wrap

Wrap contents:

Clean some cilantro

Take a package of extra firm tofu.  Cut it in half (thickness) squeeze lightly between paper towels.  Set on a thick bed of paper towels, cover with paper towels and add a top that can compress the tofu with a couple pounds of weight for a couple hours.

Lightly toss tofu in a couple tablespoons of soy sauce and then sprinkle arrow root over the top of them.  Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a baking sheet.  Plop the tofu on and roast in the oven at 350F for 20-25minutes until golden brown flipping once halfway through.

2 tsp of sugar

Juice of half a lime

*note I measure nothing so if it is too acidic up the soy/mirin/sugar.  If it is too salty up everything but the soy.

Assemble the wrap:

Eat

I love carrots! All kinds.

Thai Vegetarian Green Curry

Veggies:

Blanch a couple handfuls of green beans – haricot vert or chinese long beans preferred -> al dente

Stir fry the beans just to get some color on them.  They should still snap

Stir Fry 2 Portabello mushrooms in bite size pieces

Stir fry a bag of spinach leaves that have been mildly chopped

Stir fry an onion cut into 1” squares

--each veggie should be stir fried on its on and then placed in your serving vessel (you could also at this time stir fry some cubed chicken thighs if you need protein or double up on the crispy tofu).  Also you ALWAYS salt EVERY step in the process which means all the veggies as they cook.  ONLY use Kosher salt or this will fail miserably.

Sauce:

Turn 4-6 cloves of garlic into paste

Juice a couple tbsp of ginger/galangal  (  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKK4YC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER  helps a shit ton)

Combine and add a tbsp or two of water to the garlic mixture so it doesn’t burn.  Add to wok on medium heat until it is very fragrant.  Then add a couple tbsp of Thai Green Curry Paste.  Saute in the wok briefly.  Add one can of coconut milk (full fat please), a glug of rice vinegar, a glug of soy sauce, and 2 tsp of turbinado sugar.  Taste if it needs more acid up the vinegar.  It will also potentially need some salt.

Bring it to a boil.  Add the veggie mixture from above and serve.

Thai Green Curry Paste:

1 tbsp cilantro stems

1 tbsp coriander seed

½ tbsp cumin seed

Thumb sized hunk of galangal

1 head of garlic

Half cup of chopped basil

10 peppercorns

Tbsp of kosher salt

1 stalk of lemongrass chopped/sliced

2 shallots

1 tsp of shrimp paste

3 glugs of fish sauce

Juice of half lime

1 tsp or so of turbinado sugar

10-20 Thai green chilies

Roast all dried ingredients in a pan, then blend in a $15 coffee grinder.  Put all other ingredients in a suribachi and grind together.  If you need liquid use some of the coconut milk you will turn into the curry later.

Serve with steamed rice.  Even though this is Thai, I would classically pair this with a Japanese short grain rice as I think the stickiness mates nicer wtih the curry.  If you want rice for the wraps, you would normally steam sticky rice for them.

Thai Tofu Lettuce Wrap

Wrap contents:

Clean some cilantro

2 tsp of sugar

Juice of half a lime

Assemble the wrap:

Eat

I love carrots! All kinds.

You can slice some and stir fry them in the curry.  Probably more common than the mushrooms, but I am never conventional.

I probably should go re-read that as I am just typing off the top of my head.  It is possible that I am leaving something out.

If someone is actually going to make it, let me know the day before or so and I will proof read.

All measurements above are me just dumping things together.  I tried to be approximately correct but I taste everything along the way and adjust so it is hard to state volumes.  I am sure that will taste better than pretty much any green curry at any Thai restaurant you've been to.

One word of note on the curry paste.  Taste the curry and keep adding until there is enough.  If you use mine and you have really hot peppers you may even want to reduce the peppers from 15 to 3 if you don't have a palate that can take heat.  I remove a crapton now that I have kids :(  i think I only used 5 or so yesterday.  Normally you'd use fresh, but I have dehydrated ones that I rehydrate since my BIL grows them for me.

So prep time, not sure.  I made the above with a scratch made curry paste and a chocolate cake all in about 45min.

The cake takes 20 min to bake, the tofu does as well, as does the rice.

Key there is to get teh cake in the oven, then do ALL the prep work for everything else so you can cook the rice/tofu while you make the stir fry.  If you don't have everything prepped and ready you won't make it.  Overall prep time via the knife for me on the above is about 5 minutes.  You might want to allocate 30.

Goals need to be dynamic enough that you never reach them completely, but get far enough along to be satisfactory.

I understand and agree, but without realizing what I have been doing for so many years has caught me off guard.

I have been developing min-me's, if you will.