Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Sean, I'm thinking of doing a crawfish boil this summer.  I haven't ever done one before.

Any bright ideas on where to get the river bugs?

56 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Sean, I'm thinking of doing a crawfish boil this summer.  I haven't ever done one before.

Any bright ideas on where to get the river bugs?

The Cuz foods by me always has them.

Only by me, there ain't no cuz

On 4/3/2016 at 9:20 AM, sandt38 said:

Grabbed up 2 more Rush records yesterday; Hemispheres and 2112. That means I have all their epics on vinyl. I'm generally not a huge fan of Rush, but I do love their ability to play. Their epics afford them a ton of time to show off their abilities. My favorites are "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain of Lamneth" with kick ass drum interludes and guitar interludes. It's amazing how pucking good Alex Lifeson was so early in his career.

Anyways, after Hemispheres Rush started with the more radio friendly short songs they are so well known for, of which there are very few records they have worth buying IMO. There are a few great songs, but not like the epics.

Epics (for those interested):

"The Necromancer"- Caress of Steel- 12:34

"Fountain of Lamneth"- Caress of Steel- 19:58

"2112"- 2112- 20:34

"Cygnus X- Book II: Hemispheres"- Hemispheres- 18:08

"La Villa Strangiato (An Exercise in Self-Indulgence)"- Hemispheres- 9:35

The center 3 comprise the entire side of their perspective album.

Quoted as a reminder to buy the albums, too tired now

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Quoted as a reminder to buy the albums, too tired now

Caress of Steel is my favorite Rush album. I would steer you there first. The other epics are cool, but can be kinda cheesy from time to time.

I hail from Buffalo, as you know, and Buffalonians have an odd affinity for Rush. Rush is a staple there. They are from right over the border in Toronto, which is part of it I guess. I have always hated them because of how much everyone listened to it. Of course, I love to be different... so I stayed away for years. My recent home stereo upgrades have me expanding my horizons, listening critically again. I thought of how Rush did their thing and I figured they would kick ass on the system. I still have my distaste for them, but have opened up my mind, and my ears, to try to gain a different perspective. So please, bear in mind that I am not saying these will be the best albums you ever hear. But if you like musicians, you should really get off on them. If you have a kick ass system at home, you will like what they do spatially. Image, air, and staging dynamics are great on their heavy analog pressings. I think Pink Floyd did it better with their The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon repressings, but outside of those, and maybe Dave Matthews Under the Table and Dreaming, they dominate every other record I have.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The Cuz foods by me always has them.

Hmmm.

I haven't seen them before.

I may have a guy who knows guy however.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:35 AM, denim said:

What do you mean?  They are all over the pucking place near the water. Haha.  One of the longest bridges in the world is on the eastern shore.

https://i.imgur.com/utzTCyo.png

On 4/3/2016 at 11:38 AM, denim said:

It is definitely one of the places to be.  Wink Wink nudge nudge, say no more.

Great money, everything spanking new, not over run by chains, better taxes than MD, and loads of young professionals.  Though you have to deal with out of control VA cops and cost of living is actually higher there than here.

Plus this little bastard that goes by the name "Three Little Pigs". Ham, pulled pork, and bacon on top of a cheeseburger patty. With some Flying Dog Belgian Stout, of course.

http://i.imgur.com/pjCrDH4.jpg

Hooray, looks like the Jeep's valvebody was also showing serious wear, so I had that rebuilt too. It should arrive tomorrow. 

On 4/3/2016 at 1:05 PM, nem said:

Turning new people on to SSA. You should be receiving an order for an ICON at some point.

Thats awesome! 

Sometime roughly a year ago I was right around the 500lbs mark.

Hopped on the scale halfway through dinner and 32 oz of water and weighed in at 338.5.

Matt, you are a badass!

6 hours ago, dem beats said:

Sometime roughly a year ago I was right around the 500lbs mark.

Hopped on the scale halfway through dinner and 32 oz of water and weighed in at 338.5.

Kick ass, dude! Great job!

Sean, Epics from Hemispheres

Cygnus X-1 Book 2: Hemispheres

La Villa Strangiato. This is a great show off piece. I think you may like this better...

FWIW:

Following themes going back to Rush's second album, Fly by Night, on Hemispheres lyricist Neil Peart continued to utilize fantasy and science fiction motifs. Similar to their 1976 release, 2112, Hemispheres contains a single song separated into chapters as the first side of the album ("Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres", which serves as a conclusion to the track "Cygnus X-1, Book I from the earlier album A Farewell To Kings) while the second half contains two more conventional tracks, "Circumstances" and "The Trees", as well the nine-and-a-half-minute instrumental, "La Villa Strangiato". According to Peart, the band spent more time recording "La Villa Strangiato" than they did recording the entire Fly by Night album.[2][3]

The album contains examples of Rush's adherence to progressive rock standards including the use of fantasy lyrics, multi-movement song structures, and complex rhythms and time signatures. In the 2010 documentary film Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, the band members comment that the stress of recording Hemispheres was a major factor in their decision to start moving away from suites and long-form pieces in their songwriting. That change in philosophy would manifest itself in the band's next album, the considerably more accessible Permanent Waves. The band's seventh album would mark their commercial success, paving the way for the multi-platinum Moving Pictures.

For a short period of time, the album was available in Canada also as a red vinyl LP in a gatefold sleeve with poster (catalogue number SANR-1-1015), and as a limited edition picture disc (catalogue number SRP-1300), both of which have become much sought-after collector's items.

Caress Of Steel Epics:

The Necromancer. I really dig this tune, less the cheesy voice overs...

The Fountain of Lamneth:

FWIW:

Although the band initially had high hopes for Caress of Steel, it sold fewer copies than Fly by Night and was considered a disappointment by the record company. The album eventually became known as one of Rush's most obscure and overlooked recordings, consequently being considered underrated by fans.[6]

Caress of Steel did not attain gold certification in the United States until December 1993, nearly two decades after its release. It remains one of the few Rush albums to not go platinum in the U.S.[7]

Due to poor sales, low concert attendance and overall media indifference, the 1975-76 tour supporting Caress of Steel became known by the band as the "Down the Tubes" tour. Given that and record company pressure to record more accessible, radio-friendly material similar to their first album – something Lee, Lifeson and Peart were unwilling to do – the trio feared that the end of the group was near.

Oddly, it is my favorite album by Rush.

Finally, from 2112:

2112. Love "The Temples of Syrinx" portion of the song.

FWIW:

2112 is one of two Rush albums listed in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (the other being Moving Pictures). In 2006, a poll of Planet Rock listeners picked 2112 as the definitive Rush album. In 2012, it was ranked second on Rolling Stone's list of 'Your Favorite Prog Rock Albums of All Time', as voted for in a reader's poll, one of three Rush albums included (the others being Moving Pictures and Hemispheres).

39 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

Kick ass, dude! Great job!

Thank you.

Ita interesting watching my body change.

My arms and legs are so lean.  I much prefer holding my fat in the belly area where as before I kept more fat spread out over my body.  The definition I have now is weird to see on my own body.

160 pounds is no joke. I'd buy you a Pappy for that.

I basically lost a cute chick and a family of fat cats.

It feels good.

You have any tips on how to get some Pappy? I want some but boy I don't wanna second market prices.

You could always get a bottle of Garrison Brothers. :)

Not Pappy but it's a good bourbon.