Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Heck, I blended cell phone pics in with shots from my DSLR and people couldn't tell the difference.  So either I'm that bad with a camera or that good with a cell phone.  I'm not suggesting you made a poor choice. I am saying there are measurable benefits in going a different route and you should be aware.

For you a set of primes makes a lot of sense.  

For Sean it's silly to look at primes in the 70-200 range as there is a better product for his specific needs.

Primes are way more cool btw. If I could get as much done with them I would.  I can't so I don't.

I am enamored with my 50mm prime and not my zoom leading me to want the 135f2

I realize that the flexibility is huge, I am just afraid that I will really want the F2 instead after

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

I'll fill a camelback with bourbon, we can shoot some pics, get wasty pants, then ride bikes.  AKA blackout on the boat and use the extender to check out local talent on the sneak.

Somehow that sounds more like a few days than an afternoon.  Camelbacking bourbon, rofl.  Mmm, warm bourbon through a straw!

3 hours ago, sandt38 said:

I have to select uncheck all at the bottom before selecting what I want individually. May be a setting for that, but I haven't looked yet.

Not a fan of their auto correct settings. I'm going to download a few tutorials on it.

What auto correct settings?  Didn't know there was such a thing.

Steps to correct photos Profile Correction, Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks.  For your lenses you will NEED to also correct for the chromatic aberration as everything you've posted with any light is halo'd like hell atm

2 hours ago, sandt38 said:

In the end, he checks the boxes for me again. Nikon bodies own Canon in every aspect but the AF. Everything else is better on the Nikons, including sharpness and dynamic range, which is a big deal for landscapes and macros. Landscape and wildlife Nikon wins. I don't like portraits, I don't like people (misanthrope!), I don't shoot sports, and for what I want to shoot, Nikon suits me better than the Canon will... FWIW that was his conclusion as well.

Sharpness is pointless on your body.  You are hardcore lens limited.  Even on my "shitty" 70d the lens dominates like crazy enough so that you can pretty much neglect even thinking about the body.  Hell that holds true for my old Xsi as well.

The AF is monstrous.  #1 cause of bad pictures is being out of focus.  Includes landscapes (also my primary targets).

Sure we would all like more dynamic range and atm Nikon has an advantage there, but lenses will outlast many bodies and that is a somewhat trivial spec to buy a camera on.  In particular when the lenses cost more for the same thing so you have to step down from prosumer to consumer to afford the package.

Prioritizing on the thing that makes the biggest difference is the goal.  The days of that being the body are well more than 5 years old.

Mmmm, hand held CNC

6 hours ago, Penguin4x4 said:

I think it's bullshit.  I don't doubt there were issues, but these peoole got what they wanted, went back to their normal lives, and were pissed becaused they gained weigt again.  Typical refusal to take responsibility for their actions.

Just saw possibly the worst bit of music ever.  Some dipshit named Drake.  How the fuck ain't he broke?  Seriously retarded.

10 hours ago, dem beats said:

You are right. Entry level DSLR and lens stuff from Nikon is awesome. You said you may want to grow with this so I'm telling you the pitfalls. I'm not giving you an opinion, just hard data. I realize I shouldn't have let a human present it. I provided the link at the end of this so you can really dive deep.  The story doesn't end so well for Nikon....

Canon makes better pro and prosumer products.

Tony is also more into shooting birds.  Hence his love zoom and crop sensors.

He also repeatedly mentions the place he gets the data.  He didn't just come up with it, it's lab tested.

http://www.dxomark.com/

Cool website for raw info.

Interestingly the Canon 70-200 does not show up on the site.

http://www.dxomark.com/lenses/brand-nikon/launched-between-1987-and-2016/mount_type-Canon_EF-Canon_EF_M-Canon_EF_S/focal-from-70-to-200/aperture_max-from-0.95-to-36/lens_use_case-lens_telephoto/lens_zoom-zoom/sensor_brand-Canon#hideAdvancedOptions=false&viewMode=list&yDataType=global

The Nikons, less the MKI, do

http://www.dxomark.com/lenses/brand-nikon/launched-between-1987-and-2016/focal-from-70-to-200/aperture_max-from-0.95-to-8/lens_zoom-zoom/sensor_brand-Nikon#hideAdvancedOptions=false&viewMode=list&yDataType=global

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

What auto correct settings?  Didn't know there was such a thing.

Steps to correct photos Profile Correction, Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks.  For your lenses you will NEED to also correct for the chromatic aberration as everything you've posted with any light is halo'd like hell atm

White balance, contrast, tone, everything has an "auto" adjustment.

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Somehow that sounds more like a few days than an afternoon.  Camelbacking bourbon, rofl.  Mmm, warm bourbon through a straw!

I've actually done that before :) In college I worked at an apartment complex moving people out, fixing up the rooms and moving people in. One day I was on elevator duty (the elevator will wig out if the doors are held open so it has to be manually operated). I brought a camelbak full of whiskey and on my break I got a giant coke next door. I would then take the elevator to the roof top and pour the whiskey into the drink. It made for a fun day.

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Just saw possibly the worst bit of music ever.  Some dipshit named Drake.  How the fuck ain't he broke?  Seriously retarded.

Hahahahahaha!  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Rich Homie Quan, Drake, Feddy Wap, they all sound like they rode the short bus to school.  I'm glad that developmentally challenged people have found a way to be productive members of society though.

Just now, sandt38 said:

White balance, contrast, tone, everything has an "auto" adjustment.

ah, don't use auto in the camera then I don't even see why the software offers it.  There is no way that ANY software can make the dynamic range look as good as you can.

That being said, high DR isn't really what you need but it well chosen.  I never use the full DR when I shoot landscapes as I purposely like to shade the darks.  You'll notice other folks who work on landscapes do the same.  Pretty much nearly any good camera has enough DR to make those work, but regularly you get smacked because your lens bites.

Play with it on some of your shots.

Hold the ALT and adjust the white balance until you see only a couple dots of washed out white.  Now do the same for the blacks.  Look at the pic, then wash out a bit more of the blacks and look again.  I'd bet you'll find you like the blacks turned up.

Then start to pixel peep and look at your focus.  Sharpness in the camera is one things, but you will over resolve your lenses which is self defeating.

Come on you guys, I have too much money to spend on my new building to want new freaking glass everyday! :)

Just now, SS Teacher said:

Hahahahahaha!  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Rich Homie Quan, Drake, Feddy Wap, they all sound like they rode the short bus to school.  I'm glad that developmentally challenged people have found a way to be productive members of society though.

Short bus is an understatement.  Dumb pucker dances like he is a permanent fixture of the short bus situation.  No talent whatsoever at all.  Seriously the worst garbage I've ever seen attempted to be labeled music.

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Sean, who let you listen to that? I can't really think of any modern popular rappers that you might like. I'm fond of the weeknd myself.  Dude sings some of the most foul things ever. Love it.

43 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Short bus is an understatement.  Dumb pucker dances like he is a permanent fixture of the short bus situation.  No talent whatsoever at all.  Seriously the worst garbage I've ever seen attempted to be labeled music.

Hotline Bling?

Just now, dem beats said:

Sean, who let you listen to that? I can't really think of any modern popular rappers that you might like. I'm fond of the weeknd myself.  Dude sings some of the most foul things ever. Love it.

It was on tv.  Clicked across looking for hockey and had to leave it to laugh for a minute.  So bad.  He didn't even rap, just spoke and waved his arms around like a parapalegic.

11 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

It was on tv.  Clicked across looking for hockey and had to leave it to laugh for a minute.  So bad.  He didn't even rap, just spoke and waved his arms around like a parapalegic.

Drake just came on my Pandora.

I'm sorry you had to suffer through that.