Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

job update, surprised to say I'm still employed. But, it was a blood bath last week. about 10-15% cut in my area. My interest in staying here continues to drop 

Just got my pair of SSA mids from Aaron, beautiful drivers! Grabbed some stuff from PE to build a pair monitors with them. Not sure how it will go, I'm just winging it. 

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

IMG_2030_zpsv1xu0xim.pngIMG_2029_zpsxlzeqrto.png

Here ^ is probably why your JL is underwhelming. And if your using a stealth box, your obviously not using one of their hand built W6-W7 subs, so if it's a W1 its a cheap China sub in a nice box or at best a W3. Try a 12w6 in a sealed box on some proper power, like a MMats wired high for sq, like 4ohm and I bet you will be impressed, I was. But I will say, mine where the first versions, but I doudt the new ones got worse.

Edited by Billy Jack

14 hours ago, Penguin4x4 said:

Emailed TN and found out they just consolidated/streamlined their flavor lines.

I only use Team Skip and the only flavor I can not longer get is creamy peanut butter, but that went away last year. 

Then it will be time for a build log.  Might still install an XS battery or two I have laying around, in the back. Otherwise will be complete with the tweeter pods!

12 hours ago, lithium said:

Just got my pair of SSA mids from Aaron, beautiful drivers! Grabbed some stuff from PE to build a pair monitors with them. Not sure how it will go, I'm just winging it. 

I received my Evil mids last week!! Sexy bastards, I must say.  Just sitting there on work bench, taunting me. :) 

17 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Steathbox and mini nvx are installed.

How's that little amp doing?

10 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Here ^ is probably why your JL is underwhelming. And if your using a stealth box, your obviously not using one of their hand built W6-W7 subs, so if it's a W1 its a cheap China sub in a nice box or at best a W3. Try a 12w6 in a sealed box on some proper power, like a MMats wired high for sq, like 4ohm and I bet you will be impressed, I was. But I will say, mine where the first versions, but I doudt the new ones got worse.

I have a w6...

You again don't read what I type.  I didn't say that JL sucks, but that for the money it is absurd.

16 hours ago, nem said:

Second SSA box build almost done! 

:woot:

12 hours ago, lithium said:

:woot:  :thanx:

I didn't think JL sold a stealth box with a W6 in it, or did you replace the original sub with the w6? And yes their expensive no doudt about that, but most high end things are. When I had my 3 12w6's in 1997 I gave $200 a piece for them, those days are long gone. But man did they ever sound good and get low. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I didn't think JL sold a stealth box with a W6 in it, or did you replace the original sub with the w6? And yes their expensive no doudt about that, but most high end things are. When I had my 3 12w6's in 1997 I gave $200 a piece for them, those days are long gone. But man did they ever sound good and get low. 

High end does not equate to expensive.  High end has value.  This is just expensive.

It doesn't have a w6 and I wouldn't put a pair in it either (even if they fit) unless of course someone sold them to me for $100 ea.  The w7 I would never run again.  At MSRP these things are retarded.

For a teeny fraction of the money, the SSA drivers smoke their expensive JL counterparts. 

There are a shit ton of amps that do everything the JL ones do for WAY, WAY less money.  I am glad for them they can charge what they do, but that doesn't mean I will do business with them.  The box in my truck is literally to fill in the bottom audible octave.  20-40Hz.  My 7" mids can't quite play reference level upright bass that low so I've been waiting 2 years for a steal on a box on ebay.  The box fits the amount of space I have perfect, but the craftsmanship is super shoddy and the result lackluster.  Paired with the little NVX I won't complain about spending $300 for the combo though as it fills in what I needed.

You should stop inferring that what I have in one car is my experience with a brand.  That is a joke. I have more shit in my basement than most people on audio forums go through in a lifetime.  All I have left is what I don't want to sell.  Not so amusingly some of it I will never use either. 

38 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

For a teeny fraction of the money, the SSA drivers smoke their expensive JL counterparts. 

There are a shit ton of amps that do everything the JL ones do for WAY, WAY less money.  I am glad for them they can charge what they do, but that doesn't mean I will do business with them.  The box in my truck is literally to fill in the bottom audible octave.  20-40Hz.  My 7" mids can't quite play reference level upright bass that low so I've been waiting 2 years for a steal on a box on ebay.  The box fits the amount of space I have perfect, but the craftsmanship is super shoddy and the result lackluster.  Paired with the little NVX I won't complain about spending $300 for the combo though as it fills in what I needed.

You should stop inferring that what I have in one car is my experience with a brand.  That is a joke. I have more shit in my basement than most people on audio forums go through in a lifetime.  All I have left is what I don't want to sell.  Not so amusingly some of it I will never use either. 

Did you ever think maybe your eBay jl is a fake, it happens a lot. And for spl and price I will agree the SSA's are better but for sq I do prefer the W6 but that's just my preference not a fact or anything. And as far as price there are plenty of company's that charge even more. Morel, MMats, UL, Audison, and so on. Maybe it's a southern thing but we like our JL, DD, and sundown. 

Price charged is so relative to the the brand standing/reputation/recognition/marketing. ;)

Fake JL driver and Stealthbox, rofl.  Either way, I know it isn't as I had to get a bracket from them.  I'd love to see you highlight any fake JL sub that isn't an obvious fake.  Happens a lot, sure....

As for the Southern thing, perhaps you mean prepubescent thing.  Liking a brand instead of a product just exemplifies ignorance.

I also would assume if you make such an outlandish statement that you have done a blind listening test with the SSA vs the JL's...but I know you so I am sure it is just heresy.

Now don't misread like you like to and take what I said and misrepresent it.  I did not say that a Dcon has more output and sounds better than a w6.  Not even close to what I said....but of course making a sub sound good is rather easy so blowing a ridiculous wad on one is stupidity.  I have a plethora of drivers to do what I like with here, but yet have chosen to put an Xcon in my boat.  It isn't because I like Aaron and the board either.  It is because of how the driver behaves in filling my needs.

6 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Price charged is so relative to the the brand standing/reputation/recognition/marketing. ;)

I would clarify that a bit more.  Every company also wants to charge as much as they can.  Obviously it has to be optimized to not exclude quantity, but the more the better as they then get to achieve their goal.  Regrettably there is a blind faithful willing to support highway robbery in the car audio world and support companies like JL.  It is great they have real engineering and do nice work, but they are way too proud of it.

15 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I would clarify that a bit more.  Every company also wants to charge as much as they can.  Obviously it has to be optimized to not exclude quantity, but the more the better as they then get to achieve their goal.  Regrettably there is a blind faithful willing to support highway robbery in the car audio world and support companies like JL.  It is great they have real engineering and do nice work, but they are way too proud of it.

Agreed.  It is a lesson I have learned over the years.  Hence why I am working so hard on growing the brand and the brand name.

I don't blindly support anyone, I base my decisions on what my ears tell me. I'm like you, I have 25 years worth of audio in my closets, garage, barn, and so on. Plus I have many friends that have ran all kinds of stuff over the years. And of all the systems I have ran and heard my 3 12w6V1's on Phoenix gold M100 was my favorite sq setup. It was in a tiny hot hatch with a custom 4 cubic foot box fired at the back glass. Even the 13w7 I have now, doesn't compare, yes it's louder but doesn't have that sweet soft low sound, the 6's had. Maybe it was the AB power or the install, but either way I know what my ears tell me. I also have some of the original kicker L7's that sounded ok to be as loud as they where. And I don't mind paying a little more to support a american made product. You notice I don't own any foreign cars. I have a lot of family in Detroit that work at ford, chevy, and dodge.

You can't use your memory for comparison sake.  Any playing with audio ought to have taught you that...

I just sold 4 m amps.  They were better than anything JL has ever built.