Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

23 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

You can't use your memory for comparison sake.  Any playing with audio ought to have taught you that...

I just sold 4 m amps.  They were better than anything JL has ever built.

What are M amps. Memphis, mmats, ma audio, maxxsonic?

Never mind you mean the Phoenix gold m amps and yes them was some sweet sounding amps I loved my m100, m50, and ms275. I had two crunch on the ms275 that hit pretty good for 2 12's.

Edited by Billy Jack

Probably my favorite amp is a US2000X, I have that was reworked by the factory for their comp van. I don't know exactly what they did to it but I blew 2 death penalty 15's in 10 minutes with it and the gain was set at 1/4. 

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have a w6...

You again don't read what I type.  I didn't say that JL sucks, but that for the money it is absurd.

Are you unhappy with the W6 or the box? I love the W6. If I didn't have a collection of Brahmas and Kodas I would be running a W6. It has been a few years since I had my hands on one, but I found the build quality and sound reproduction to be exceptional... Their boxes, however, were not impressive at all.

I have also always felt the W7 was overrated. Not in terms of build quality, but reproduction is muddy and bloated. It is nowhere near as linear and transparent as the W6.

2 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I don't blindly support anyone, I base my decisions on what my ears tell me. I'm like you, I have 25 years worth of audio in my closets, garage, barn, and so on. Plus I have many friends that have ran all kinds of stuff over the years. And of all the systems I have ran and heard my 3 12w6V1's on Phoenix gold M100 was my favorite sq setup. It was in a tiny hot hatch with a custom 4 cubic foot box fired at the back glass. Even the 13w7 I have now, doesn't compare, yes it's louder but doesn't have that sweet soft low sound, the 6's had. Maybe it was the AB power or the install, but either way I know what my ears tell me. I also have some of the original kicker L7's that sounded ok to be as loud as they where. And I don't mind paying a little more to support a american made product. You notice I don't own any foreign cars. I have a lot of family in Detroit that work at ford, chevy, and dodge.

W6V1s were not all that. If that is your reference, you need to stop. Sean has forgotten more quality drivers than you have heard. We were around in the big design era, we understand driver technology and we have been around a lot more than most people. JL was able to take so much tech from the design of the W7 and implement it into the W6V2 design that made it a pure SQ driver, but it still obtained a parabolic bl linearity curve on DUMAX, and you could hear it. Sure,linearity was better on the V2s than most overhung designs, but we saw so many boutiques that killed it. With linearity, in the lower octaves, comes transparency. The W6V2 was still behind any XBL2 designs by Dan Wiggins, from the Brahma, to the Koda, to the Tummult, the ShivaX, the MaelstromX, and the TempestX. I would compare the W6V2 with Dan's similarly sized Shiva (12) or Tempest (15). Similarly we had the JBL GTI (not today's knock offs, but the monstrous dual staggered coil units), the original XXX (XBL2 driven), and several other drivers that realized linear BL.

I'll run my Brahma V2 against anything for pure SQ with absurd output.

13 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

W6V1s were not all that. If that is your reference, you need to stop. Sean has forgotten more quality drivers than you have heard. We were around in the big design era, we understand driver technology and we have been around a lot more than most people. JL was able to take so much tech from the design of the W7 and implement it into the W6V2 design that made it a pure SQ driver, but it still obtained a parabolic bl linearity curve on DUMAX, and you could hear it. Sure,linearity was better on the V2s than most overhung designs, but we saw so many boutiques that killed it. With linearity, in the lower octaves, comes transparency. The W6V2 was still behind any XBL2 designs by Dan Wiggins, from the Brahma, to the Koda, to the Tummult, the ShivaX, the MaelstromX, and the TempestX. I would compare the W6V2 with Dan's similarly sized Shiva (12) or Tempest (15). Similarly we had the JBL GTI (not today's knock offs, but the monstrous dual staggered coil units), the original XXX (XBL2 driven), and several other drivers that realized linear BL.

Yea I was around in the old days to my man and JL, kicker, and fosgate helped start all this car audio stuff, before them it was all pro audio drivers shoe horned into a car. And yes the brahma is another awesome woofer, I like those to, but never saw them around much, nobody in the southeast ran then at any shows that I can remember, except world finals in Lebanon tenn. i saw some there. And yes I know many woofers can sound good, it all comes down to install, but there are slight differences. I'm just saying out of the 100 different brands I have used and heard JL is probably one of my favorites. My favorite would probably be a UL driver, those sound as accurate to real life music as I have heard but talk about a high price, there out of my league but I would love to have a couple. 

1 hour ago, sandt38 said:

Are you unhappy with the W6 or the box? I love the W6. If I didn't have a collection of Brahmas and Kodas I would be running a W6. It has been a few years since I had my hands on one, but I found the build quality and sound reproduction to be exceptional... Their boxes, however, were not impressive at all.

I have also always felt the W7 was overrated. Not in terms of build quality, but reproduction is muddy and bloated. It is nowhere near as linear and transparent as the W6.

BJ is confusing things.

The W6 is in my sisters boat along with some other leftovers I have.  No complaints about it, never had any really. Glad I didn't pay retail however.

The stealthbox and w1's however are a fricking joke.  Will post pics later.  Shockingly shitty for a $900 setup.  Bad enough that even at $225 I don't feel satisfied.  $ to value statement is craptastic.

And you bastard, I wish I had a collection of Brahmas.

I'm at a higher elevation, I can piss farther than any of you!! Bahaha

Not much use in comparing a sub I can't even get anymore, to a sub that's every where, for little of nothing. Unless you want to give us some of your brahmas for a comparison. :P 

26 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

I'm at a higher elevation, I can piss farther than any of you!! Bahaha

I pissed at more than 600mph and 35,000 feet this past Saturday.  Think that piss went further. :D

Currently on our way home on the second to last leg of our 24 hours of flight time from afghanistan. About 3:45 from making it into Atlanta then a layover then flying into KC.

Normally I hate delta/Air France but for once this has been an uneventful flight. 

The W7 is one of my favorite drivers that I've had the pleasure of using, great output, and very very linear sound. That being said I would NEVER NEVER pay full retail for one. 

13 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Probably my favorite amp is a US2000X, I have that was reworked by the factory for their comp van. I don't know exactly what they did to it but I blew 2 death penalty 15's in 10 minutes with it and the gain was set at 1/4. 

The US Amps 2000 was the supreme comp amp around here for a little while in the 90's.  A past member of here who used to be a big time local competitor had 8 or 10 of them, mostly purple, and that was huge me in 1996 or so.  Was a Focus hatch full of L7 8".  That was a fun install.

12 hours ago, sandt38 said:

Hell of a list Seth, did you ever get to play with the Crystal CMP and CMPx2's?  My hope with our Xcon, was to have listening traits of the old XXX and CMPx2, hence the "X" for a little insider respect back to Atwell and Wiggles.

40 minutes ago, Julian said:

Currently on our way home on the second to last leg of our 24 hours of flight time from afghanistan. About 3:45 from making it into Atlanta then a layover then flying into KC.

Normally I hate delta/Air France but for once this has been an uneventful flight. 

Safe travels sir.

1 minute ago, dem beats said:

This post coming to you from the Samsung S7 edge.

FML

Why FML?

Throw the Nova launcher on it, ditch the Samsung keyboard.  

Funny how when work starts early in the morning it doesn't seem to end early too.

How the hell do you use the LG then if it's bigger than the edge/note.    That's a big darn phone.  

23 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Why did you change? WHy not V20?

Not out until next month. I'll probably switch imediately.