Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I trade quite not quiet but both descriptors work

Grabbed my son his Christmas present today. BC Rich Mockingbird, and a used Peavy half stack.

smDSCN3360_zps6gwq8esm.jpg

smDSCN3358_zps6zampeth.jpg

Nice Seth!

Off pain meds, swelling has stopped, and bruising has reduced significantly. Yay. Now where'd that bottle of SJ run off to...

I did some shopping for my son also, don't tell his mom.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-mod-2-4-service-model-9mm/

Nice!

I went to Gander Mountain tonight (there is one right next to the Guitar Center where I snagged Nick's guitar) and rubbed one out to the Kimbers. I actually spent some time with a couple Springfields after you and Dem talked so highly of them. I have honestly never held one before. It's a nicely made gun.

But those Kimbers though... I think I am grabbing the Pro Carry II.

Nice!

I went to Gander Mountain tonight (there is one right next to the Guitar Center where I snagged Nick's guitar) and rubbed one out to the Kimbers. I actually spent some time with a couple Springfields after you and Dem talked so highly of them. I have honestly never held one before. It's a nicely made gun.

You can't go wrong with a Kimber, if you watch you might be able to pick that Kimber up for around $699.95

Here is a link to a large gun shop about an hour away from me. I always browse their flyer.

https://www.gricegunshop.com/specials/PDFs/03.11.15/FALL%20RETAIL%202015.pdf

Grabbed my son his Christmas present today. BC Rich Mockingbird, and a used Peavy half stack.

Sweet.  Curious what year the axe is and what half stack.  Love the color.  

One hell of a nice guitar!!! How's the action? I have only played a handful of BC Rich bass guitars and found the neck was a little wide for my hands.

J

An old school handmade in USA BC Rich has been on my buy list for more than 20 years.

Still on the list, but I have to buy a classical and acoustic first.

Nice!

You can't go wrong with a Kimber, if you watch you might be able to pick that Kimber up for around $699.95

Bud's Guns has them for $699. I have a local FFL that does transfers for $15.

Sweet.  Curious what year the axe is and what half stack.  Love the color.  

It's a brand new guitar, and the amp is a 5150, circa 1998.

One hell of a nice guitar!!! How's the action? I have only played a handful of BC Rich bass guitars and found the neck was a little wide for my hands.

J

I don't play, so I really can't comment. This is his first electric, he has played acoustic until now. He says it is a lot easier to play than the acoustics he plays. By his description I would say the neck is considerably more narrow than he is used to.

5150 is a beast, thought about one myself.  Blood curtling loud too, lol.

Actually looking for a "brake" for my Lee Jackson head.  Currently I play it on volume .5 the most and it sounds way better around 7 or 8 but that is WAY too loud for the house.  Stupid loads are a few hundred bucks though.

Had a weird concern with the Escalade Friday.  Was driving down the highway towing my boat ~7k lbs.  Had the truck in tow mode, cruise set at 75mph and at one point I had to slow down a notch so I tapped the brake.  Went to re-accelerate and the gas pedal did basically nothing.  Could floor it and while it accelerated it wouldn't raise the rpms.  Almost like something wasn't telling the throttle body to "go".  I could downshift fine and all that.

Gauges were all okay.  Fluid in the 6l80 was around 175deg F which is warmer than usual, but not out of spec as I understand.  It really felt like the computer in the car told it not to go.

I resolved it by pulling over, popping the hood, checking the connections on the MAF and Throttle Body and restarting.  My guess is probably the restart.  The TB I checked because I had it off this week and thought perhaps it wasn't connected completely on one of the wires or something.

As for the neck size, it is good to change it up actually.  Teaching yourself to play on guitars that feel different will improve his overall capability.  Need to teach your finger dexterity as much as possible and having different setups help that.

Thinner/smaller are usually faster feeling but playing well is way more important than fast.  Fast is easy once the rest is done.  If you want narrow, pick up an old Ibanez.  So teeny.

You just reminded me I need to sell my old Ibanez, lol

Ok peoples.  Is it possible to change out a factory GM radio unit and keep factory speakers/amp combo along with door chimes and onstar?  For less than say 500$?  This would be on an '05 Buick Park Ave Ultra with the Concert Sound III?  9 speaker with amp in the trunk.  

I'd love to add a backup camera in the dash, keep door chimes, and change out the Onstar to bluetooth for using the mic setup for handsfree calling.  and streaming music off the phone.  

Oh, and keep steering wheel controls.  

I know the door chimes take an additional module, I'm assuming the same with the steering wheel controls.  I haven't been able to find anything on the Onstar working with an aftermarket radio though.  I don't have any desire to rip the car apart to run wires for new speakers/amps/etc.  

Had a weird concern with the Escalade Friday.  Was driving down the highway towing my boat ~7k lbs.  Had the truck in tow mode, cruise set at 75mph and at one point I had to slow down a notch so I tapped the brake.  Went to re-accelerate and the gas pedal did basically nothing.  Could floor it and while it accelerated it wouldn't raise the rpms.  Almost like something wasn't telling the throttle body to "go".  I could downshift fine and all that.

Gauges were all okay.  Fluid in the 6l80 was around 175deg F which is warmer than usual, but not out of spec as I understand.  It really felt like the computer in the car told it not to go.

I resolved it by pulling over, popping the hood, checking the connections on the MAF and Throttle Body and restarting.  My guess is probably the restart.  The TB I checked because I had it off this week and thought perhaps it wasn't connected completely on one of the wires or something.

Throttle problems will usually set a hard light really fast. They tend to shut down throttle control completely, allowing the vehicle to drift to a stop. Turning the truck off then restarting will reset it. If it sees the same failure in successive trips it might lock out the TB, depending on the year/system.

It definitely wasn't complete.  It sort of tried to accelerate, but super anemically.