Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Interesting, but the ending was rather anti-climatic.

I wonder if the kid would have still been scot-free if they hadn't found "Theo." Just go rob a bank, and if you're caught say someone from the govt put you up to it--rofl.

i'm really going to need your guys help designing a setup for my gto. the fuel tank is in the trunk so subs are out of the question so i'm really clueless as wyat i should do. i'm trying to think of the best solution to get the best sound i can with what i have to work with

IIRC it's basically right behind the seat. What about a small infinite baffle setup on the back deck?

J

i like that idea! now i just have to look for compatible woofers

Gotta measure your back deck and trunk space then go from there.

Add in what your goals are and it can be a plan.

J

I'm going to say this loosely, but i want a  smooth sq "based" system. no real peaks in the bass and something that will get loud. i will he keeping the stock Blaupunkt headunit also so i'll probably run the "Clean Sweep" . besides that haven't really put much more thought into it.

Fork broke today. It let go progressively going down a hill so I knew something was going to happen. At the bottom of the hill the fork tube broke completely. 

I have no idea what caused it. My new brakes? Fatigue from over the years? Previous impact? Good thing I noticed something was off and it didn't break on me doing 20 going downhill. 

Just when I thought I'm done with parts for the bike. 

I could sleeve it inside and do some rosette welds but I think I'm going to create weak spots.

We know you just want to wang out with..... your wang out?

i usually do :P

If you mean rigid, yes. The steerer tube broke clean, almost halfway between the headset bearings. 

I'm starting to get pissed, even though I shouldn't, since the tube could have broke at a much worse moment and all of the sudden instead of giving me a warning.

It was half-way through the trip and I had a 10 mile descent through the woods ahead of me. 

Curious if I should just MIG weld the tube where it broke. 

th_VID_20130420_135408_zps4be8c4a0.jpg

Click 2 play!

Edited by SGunnem

do not do that! if you mig weld it the weld will be strong but the material around it will be weaker. I would tig weld it. sleeve the inside of the tube leave an 1/8 th. inch gap and TIG weld it. that way the material around it won't be subject to so much heat and be weekend.

Edited by ChILL

Adrian it sounds like a suspension in the front might help you. Judging by the pictures of your roads you took a while back. Or maybe just a bigger softer tire would help.

I don't know about the differences of welding, but I think that bikes use brazing (not sure if that is the right word) for repairs and many builds because it does less heat "damage" to the frame. That was just what some ooooold time bike guy I knew told me when I was 16 or so.

Never had a bike nice enough to need a repair that didn't get stolen. I stopped pedaling when my mom left the garage open and someone stole my super expensive (for me at the time) mtn bike.

Adrian it sounds like a suspension in the front might help you. Judging by the pictures of your roads you took a while back. Or maybe just a bigger softer tire would help.

I don't know about the differences of welding, but I think that bikes use brazing (not sure if that is the right word) for repairs and many builds because it does less heat "damage" to the frame. That was just what some ooooold time bike guy I knew told me when I was 16 or so.

Never had a bike nice enough to need a repair that didn't get stolen. I stopped pedaling when my mom left the garage open and someone stole my super expensive (for me at the time) mtn bike.

bike frames and components are TIG welded. you can just look at tye welds ajd see that.

do not do that! if you mig weld it the weld will be strong but the material around it will be weaker. I would tig weld it. sleeve the inside of the tube leave an 1/8 th. inch gap and TIG weld it. that way the material around it won't be subject to so much heat and be weekend.

Keep in mind it's steel and I only have a MIG. An apples to oranges comparison, but I welded hydraulic rams on the backhoe and they have taken quite a bit of abuse. 

A suspension fork with 1" threaded steerer is very hard to find unfortunately. Bigger tires, yes, they are in plan. 

Today's trip was on sandy tracks, perfectly nice track, minimal bumps. Maybe my new brakes are what put the nail in the coffin. I remember that the bike always had a little "give" when forcing it forward with the front brakes applied. And it wasn't the headset at fault. 

The steerer tube probably cracked at the previous owner and it let go completely today. It did so right when I used the brakes heavily. 

bike frames and components are TIG welded. you can just look at tye welds ajd see that.
not good steel frames they are grazed. Cheap shifty frames are welded

Someone raised the headset too far and compensated with too much torque. Add to that no frame saver and some moisture and you found the weakened spot

Keep in mind it's steel and I only have a MIG. An apples to oranges comparison, but I welded hydraulic rams on the backhoe and they have taken quite a bit of abuse. 

i understand, but i am a professional welder. it's my bread and butter and i have been doing it for 14yrs now. if you sleeve it, leave an 1/8th in. gap between the parts to he welded then TIG weld it you will never have to worry ahout it again. jst think if you were to mig weld it and be going down a hill doing 30mph wyen that fork breaks again and think about the consequences

not good steel frames they are grazed. Cheap shifty frames are welded

do they braze bmx dirt frames or vert frames? those take tye most abuse of any bike frame

Going through old computer parts is no fun.

Someone raised the headset too far and compensated with too much torque. Add to that no frame saver and some moisture and you found the weakened spot

Raise the headset too far? 

I'd like to know what alloy of steel before welding.