teoulennon

Suggest a loud 10" sub for a sealed box

I'm looking for suggestions for a single 10" sub for a sealed box.

I have a 700w rms amp @ 2 ohms that will be powering it.

I will build the box to specs.

Budget is around $250 max

I listen to all genres of music, and am really just looking for the loudest sub while still retaining decent SQ.

Please don't suggest a ported box, I'm not interested in one. smile.png

Thanks for the suggestion Rick!

Actually posting this bc I bought an sa-10 to do the job but I've decided that it performs best in a ported box and isn't quite suited for my needs (lesson learned: don't put an sa in a sealed box :) )

I was thinking an idq v.3 but I want something that can really give me some output.

Other suggestions?

Edited by teoulennon

An Icon will have more output, but it's over $250. I also like sealed enclosures, but am having a ported one built for my Sundown E15 because I want more output. Have you done any sound deadening? If your ride is quieter, the perceived volume of your sub will be greater.

An Icon will have more output, but it's over $250. I also like sealed enclosures, but am having a ported one built for my Sundown E15 because I want more output. Have you done any sound deadening? If your ride is quieter, the perceived volume of your sub will be greater.

I haven't done any sound deadening but my car is pretty quiet.

I know the sa 10 is a great sub, I just feel like there are other subs out there that probably perform better in a sealed box.

I've been told that the extra power of the gcon won't make a difference in loudness but surely one sub can be in the same power range yet perform better in a sealed box - whether it be louder or better sq right?

Yes a sub with a higher qts will work better sealed. The SD-2 would have been your better choice when buying Sundown. I think a GCON would perform better though. You keep mentioning loudness and sealed at the same time and thats gonna be extremely hard to do if your on a budget and staying with such a small sub.

You either listen to alot of Rock type music and no rap / hip hop at all or either dont think a ported box will sound good. A sealed 10 can sound great and have decent output. Loud it wont be unless your comparing it to your factory radio.

JL Audio subs do pretty well in sealed enclosures loud-wise if you can get any used.

Referencing the W6 and W7s.

A GCON will outperform the Sa in a sealed enclosure.

Why is that?

A GCON will outperform the Sa in a sealed enclosure.

The GCON will perform great in a sealed enclosure, whereas the SA will be much happier ported. They are both great subs but I wouldn't recommend an SA for a sealed application.

i have a FI Q 10 d2 fully loaded for sale i get it to you for 250 shipped if you are interested let me know and i will send you some pics .

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's much appreciated!

My max box size is about 1.1ft^3

So far it seems to be between the gcon and the Q

I would have to upgrade my amp wiring to run the Q at 1400 @ 1 ohm.

How would the Q compare to the gcon if it were running 1400rms as opposed to the 700rms I'd have going to the gcon?

And just out of curiosity, how would the Q compare to the gcon if running off 700 @ 2 ohms?

Edited by teoulennon

So you have a sa-10 in a ported and you don't like it ?

My sa is in a .5ft^3 sealed box.

My max box size is more around 1.2ft^3 gross

Edited by teoulennon

My sa is in a .5ft^3 sealed box.

My max box size is more around 1.2ft^3 gross

Just to make sure, what are your maximum external dimensions?

I've been following this thread closely! Looking to have my questions answered without having to ask them.

Yes yes new member here but not new to forum etiquette!

I'm in the same boat. Looking to replace my 12" RF P3 1ohm'd shallow mount in RF shallow box powered by about 350w RF amp which can't handle being run down to 1 ohm. It does it...but trips the thermal safety.

Regular cab chevy Colorado.

Was either going to cram 2 sa8s. Ported.

Or 2 sd8s or 2sd10s. Medium large sealed box.

Or 1 sd12. Medium large sealed box.

Hopefully 650-800ish rms per sub at 2 ohms.

Subs either facing out the sides of the box. Or out of the back of the box 2" away from the back wall of the cab.

My friend has a type r 12 sealed with about 800w and I was amazed at how well it sounded and how deep and low it got.

I assumed it was a ported box cause of how powerful it hit the lows.

Turns out its sealed.

Which has given me hope that sealed subs can satisfy what I'm looking for.

Just looking to listen to some opinions.

My post got lost in the server update. OP you should be looking at sealed 12's not 10's.

And Roland, for what you want 8's are absolutely stupid. Box ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS needs to be understood first and then drivers chosen for it. Just like the OP, asking for advice without a box size is not going to net you a logical answer. Anyone who answers without knowing isn't really helping you either.

And Roland, for what you want 8's are absolutely stupid. Box ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS needs to be understood first and then drivers chosen for it. Just like the OP, asking for advice without a box size is not going to net you a logical answer. Anyone who answers without knowing isn't really helping you either.

This is why I havent pulled the trigger yet on any subs. Im up north at work and a few hundred miles from my truck so i cannot take any measurements of my truck. Id imagine the box will be a wedge and not that deep at all but will span across the backside of the driver and passenger seats. id imagine 42"Wide x 16" tall x 8" deep at base/ 3" deep at top.

I just would like to stay away from shallow mount subs. unless someone actually says theres one (or two) out there that compare to a "normal" sub. I dislike my P3S. yes yes the MKIII aka the unicorn.

You don't have room for anything but shallows.

8" - 1.5" for wood - .75" for pole vent - 3" for excursion = 2.75". That doesn't account for the diagonal which makes it worse.

You REALLY need measurements before even thinking of shopping. Will completely get you excited about all the wrong drivers otherwise. I also find it super funny that you were contemplating 8's but don't want to run shallows.

I am doing a build right now with one Sundown SD-2 12 in 1.1cu net sealed. Box is 34 w 15 tall, 8 d bottom, 6 deep top.

I will let you know how it sounds when complete. Should be very nice