SKunk9381

Eclipse SW-8200

I spy a few of these on e-bay this morning! $175 each! I understand they are also a LMT design! Good price! I might pick one up and check it out! BTW anyone know why in the Book headings for Eclipse it say's a 4ohm SVC... In the specs it says 3ohms DCR(?) DRC(?)

Edited by SKunk9381

DCR = DC resistence. it is smaller that the nominal impedance.

a 4 ohm svc sub can have 2.5 ohm dcr.

Yup...the DCR will almost always be lower than the nominal impedance (the only exception I know of is Resonant Engineering, who's "dual 2ohm" coils have an Re (DCR) of 2.4-2.6ohm). Resistance, the DCR, is constant and does not change. This is what you measure with your multimeter. Impedance, the nominal 4ohm rating, is not constant and will fluctuate based on frequency, the enclosure, etc. This is why the impedance is called "nominal", because it's sort of an average of what load the subwoofer will present to the amplifier throughout it's intended bandwidth.

Anyways....those SW8200's have me seriously interested. I really would like to try one out.

Yup...the DCR will almost always be lower than the nominal impedance (the only exception I know of is Resonant Engineering, who's "dual 2ohm" coils have an Re (DCR) of 2.4-2.6ohm).  Resistance, the DCR, is constant and does not change.  This is what you measure with your multimeter.  Impedance, the nominal 4ohm rating, is not constant and will fluctuate based on frequency, the enclosure, etc.  This is why the impedance is called "nominal", because it's sort of an average of what load the subwoofer will present to the amplifier throughout it's intended bandwidth.

Anyways....those SW8200's have me seriously interested.  I really would like to try one out.

So am amp that will go 4 ohm mono say.. would that effect it performance? Just bacause the amp has the tripath in it.. Very sensitive. I was told not to take it below 4 ohm. But I guess them mean no to take it down to 2ohm(nominal)? Thanks guys!

link to sub on ebay?

the funny thing is that is close to how much I paid for my aluminums way back when..

ok so here is the question, with Eclipses new line, where does the Aluminum, Ti, and LMT slot in?

just checked their new site, seems that the TI Pro is still king, followed by the Ti, then the LMT, then the Aluminum

just checked their new site, seems that the TI Pro is still king, followed by the Ti, then the LMT, then the Aluminum

marketing, ugh.

well I was just suprised to see the LMT under the Ti, but the Ti is a great sub

Same here.. but the LMT is still an attempt at a good SQ sub that will get loud. I think the Ti is all out SPL no?

Same here.. but the LMT is still an attempt at a good SQ sub that will get loud.  I think the Ti is all out SPL no?

I love both the Ti and I will never sell my Aluminums, so I think the LMT is a great compromise,

if it gets louder than the ALuminums and holds their SQ that would be sweet.

A few more of these popped up on e-bay.. Man. I want to try one so bad.. The GF will kill me!!!!!! Anyone want to buy it after Iam done? I just want to test SQ of this sub. hehe

A few more of these popped up on e-bay.. Man. I want to try one so bad.. The GF will kill me!!!!!!  Anyone want to buy it after Iam done?  I just want to test SQ of this sub.  hehe

how much would you want for it after your "testing"

Yup...the DCR will almost always be lower than the nominal impedance (the only exception I know of is Resonant Engineering, who's "dual 2ohm" coils have an Re (DCR) of 2.4-2.6ohm).

Pretty sure that when DC resistance was taken they wired the coils in series to get that rating :)

which would mean DC resistance of the 2ohm coils are 1.2-1.3ohm

but i could be wrong.

Anyway, i'd like to know how efficent the SW8200's are if they do feature LMT because if it takes 3kw to make them happy like some other LMT drivers, i dont really see the point.

Yup...the DCR will almost always be lower than the nominal impedance (the only exception I know of is Resonant Engineering, who's "dual 2ohm" coils have an Re (DCR) of 2.4-2.6ohm).

Pretty sure that when DC resistance was taken they wired the coils in series to get that rating :)

which would mean DC resistance of the 2ohm coils are 1.2-1.3ohm

but i could be wrong.

Anyway, i'd like to know how efficent the SW8200's are if they do feature LMT because if it takes 3kw to make them happy like some other LMT drivers, i dont really see the point.

why does everybody think it takes 3kw to make a LMS (not T anymore) happy? 1200 on the rl-s 12 moved it just fine...

wired to the 4ohm or so load

and it did damn near a 140 in that box, off that power, with a factory gm h/u.

will they do better in the larger enclosure of more power? after watching a few vids, probably. but do they honestly need them? not in my opinion. besides, in smaller enclosures you can always throw more power at them anyway...lol...muhahahahah

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: