Sign in to follow this  
Frostedflakejake

My first SSA substage! Pair of 15" DCONS

Hey y'all! gayhaaay1.gif

So I've had this little home theater project going in my mind for quite a while consisting of 4 15" DCONS and at this point I've collected the amp for the project and a pair of DCONS. At the same time, I've been trying to sell my old box I used for a pair of SA 15's on craigslist for about half a year. I decided to put two and two together and run the DCON's in my old box. I recalculated the box specifications for the DCONS. It's 7 net cubes at ~32hz. From the SSA site it seems like the DCON's like bigger ported boxes than the SA's... If i find the box unsatisfying i'll just cutout most of my baffle, leaving some edge like a picture frame, and then adding more baffle on top in order to increase my volume. Probably won't happen since if I tackle anything with the box it should be port area.... but this is just a temporary thing :) Needless to say, I understand fully the inefficiencies of my box for this applications.

I sold my SAZ-3000d with my SA's and I was playing around with the idea of running the DCON's off of my JBL gtq220, but due to my possible voice coil configurations and the lack of a subsonic filter on the JBL I decided I needed something more appropriate for the application. I had a few requirements: cheap, easy to resell, and variable subsonic filter (don't want to add an external one due to expenses). I cruised my local craigslist and didn't find anything that fit the bill; afterall, ~600 watts at one ohm is a relatively unique power spectrum. So, I went for the quick solutions and ran to sonicelectronix and took a chance! Bought a Crunch PZA 2000.1 Didn't think too much about it, honestly had to go look at it to remember what the hell it was. Advertised as 2000 watts at 1ohm MAXXXX rating. What a joke. Regardless, I did some real basic/inaccurate calculation off of the fuse rating. Figured 120amps of fuse rating X 12 volts X %50 efficiency = 720 watts at 1 ohm. I know it's a ball park guess at best, but it's good enough for me. I know I will be able to sell it in Metro Detroit and only take a $20 hit, assuming it lasts.

I already have power and ground wires run for the amp (disconnected the fuse for an old one and never took the wires out). As you can see form the pictures the subs are in the box. All that's left to do is connect the amp, replace the 60amp fuse in the fuse holder with a 120amp or so fuse, and put the box in the truck! That will all get done tomorrow and i'm pretty excited! Haven't had a substage for 1/2 a year now!

pics! Just in case you guys forgot what a DCON looked like....I know I haven't even heard them yet, but just from looking and feeling them the DCON's seem like a crazy good value.

IMG_4139_zpsf16b7677.jpg

IMG_4137_zps5e9d57ae.jpg

IMG_4135_zpsa8cfcbac.jpg

IMG_4141_zps4cb4c0ee.jpg

IMG_4150_zpsb0f53b1d.jpg

IMG_4151_zpsdc2914f9.jpg

IMG_4153_zpse90c8d67.jpg

IMG_4154_zps500ad090.jpg

IMG_4155_zps91605997.jpg

IMG_4157_zps61e7cb69.jpg

IMG_4159_zpscd6d88ef.jpg

4 15" DCON in a theater would be awesome!

Let me tell you a little secret about those DCON's. They are going to suprise the shit out of you when you start playing them!

thats awesome Jake. should sound great man!

Love the pics!

4 15" DCON in a theater would be awesome!

That's what i was thinkin ;)

Let me tell you a little secret about those DCON's. They are going to suprise the shit out of you when you start playing them!

I've heard nothing but awesome things about them so I'm excited :)

Love the pics!

Thanks!

I just got back from a hike so I'm about to get started on mounting the amp and putting the box in! Should be up and running in ~90 minutes adhd.gif

So your running a car amp inside? why not buy a pro audio amplifier?

Tell me how you like. Have two 18inch obsidian on pre order for my home audio fun. Using a old dual 18inch box i have sitting around.

So your running a car amp inside? why not buy a pro audio amplifier?

Oh wow, you're completely right. Looks like I never specified, haha. No these are running in my explorer right now. I have a Mackie MRP 1400 for the home theater.

I would also tune much lower for home theater.

Only had about twenty minutes of listen time with them today but I liked it quite a bit :) I will be writing a full up review once I've had adequate listening time.

Cool be glad to read it

So it's been a few weeks! A wonderful few weeks may I add :)

Before the DCON's i ran the SA's; and yes, I've noticed a difference in output. That being said, I like the DCON's more. And it's not just because they are easier on my wallet either. If the SA's and DCON's were the same price and required the same power and electrical goodies I would still buy the DCON's. I find the DCON's to be much more well rounded. I can go from listening to Jay-Z to Metallica and not be bothered by the massive difference in bass output between the two. The DCON's handle the <80hz spectrum much better than the SA's. And don't get me wrong. The DCON's still get nasty loud. I took a few videos but I really hate how they turned out so I'll take some more soon and post them here. 

Another happy customer! 

Hopefully Mark or Aaron see this

The store site won't let me post a review :(

I enter in all the information and hit "save review" and it takes a few moments and then comes back an all white screen that says "Could not open socket". 

Hopefully Mark or Aaron see this

The store site won't let me post a review sad.png

I enter in all the information and hit "save review" and it takes a few moments and then comes back an all white screen that says "Could not open socket". 

post your review in here, i'll make sure it's posted to the store.

Thanks again.

Try to not think about the DCON as the SSA budget sub. Try to not think about the DCON as a sub $200 driver. Although it does technically have those attributes, it doesn't have them at the same time. I've ran other equipment in this price range and equipment triple this price range. If you aren't chasing numbers on a meter, I don't know why you wouldn't use this woofer. It's musical, it's loud, it requires little power, and it's economical. It's a quadruple whammy!!! I can't praise these DCON's enough. If you're hesitating buying these all you're doing is wasting time. You won't be disappointed.

There you go! Thanks Mark :)

So it's been a few weeks! A wonderful few weeks may I add smile.png

Before the DCON's i ran the SA's; and yes, I've noticed a difference in output. That being said, I like the DCON's more. And it's not just because they are easier on my wallet either. If the SA's and DCON's were the same price and required the same power and electrical goodies I would still buy the DCON's. I find the DCON's to be much more well rounded. I can go from listening to Jay-Z to Metallica and not be bothered by the massive difference in bass output between the two. The DCON's handle the <80hz spectrum much better than the SA's. And don't get me wrong. The DCON's still get nasty loud. I took a few videos but I really hate how they turned out so I'll take some more soon and post them here. 

Another happy customer! 

Nice! :)

Hey y'all! gayhaaay1.gif

So I've had this little home theater project going in my mind for quite a while consisting of 4 15" DCONS and at this point I've collected the amp for the project and a pair of DCONS. At the same time, I've been trying to sell my old box I used for a pair of SA 15's on craigslist for about half a year. I decided to put two and two together and run the DCON's in my old box. I recalculated the box specifications for the DCONS. It's 7 net cubes at ~32hz. From the SSA site it seems like the DCON's like bigger ported boxes than the SA's... If i find the box unsatisfying i'll just cutout most of my baffle, leaving some edge like a picture frame, and then adding more baffle on top in order to increase my volume. Probably won't happen since if I tackle anything with the box it should be port area.... but this is just a temporary thing smile.png Needless to say, I understand fully the inefficiencies of my box for this applications.

I sold my SAZ-3000d with my SA's and I was playing around with the idea of running the DCON's off of my JBL gtq220, but due to my possible voice coil configurations and the lack of a subsonic filter on the JBL I decided I needed something more appropriate for the application. I had a few requirements: cheap, easy to resell, and variable subsonic filter (don't want to add an external one due to expenses). I cruised my local craigslist and didn't find anything that fit the bill; afterall, ~600 watts at one ohm is a relatively unique power spectrum. So, I went for the quick solutions and ran to sonicelectronix and took a chance! Bought a Crunch PZA 2000.1 Didn't think too much about it, honestly had to go look at it to remember what the hell it was. Advertised as 2000 watts at 1ohm MAXXXX rating. What a joke. Regardless, I did some real basic/inaccurate calculation off of the fuse rating. Figured 120amps of fuse rating X 12 volts X %50 efficiency = 720 watts at 1 ohm. I know it's a ball park guess at best, but it's good enough for me. I know I will be able to sell it in Metro Detroit and only take a $20 hit, assuming it lasts.

I already have power and ground wires run for the amp (disconnected the fuse for an old one and never took the wires out). As you can see form the pictures the subs are in the box. All that's left to do is connect the amp, replace the 60amp fuse in the fuse holder with a 120amp or so fuse, and put the box in the truck! That will all get done tomorrow and i'm pretty excited! Haven't had a substage for 1/2 a year now!

pics! Just in case you guys forgot what a DCON looked like....I know I haven't even heard them yet, but just from looking and feeling them the DCON's seem like a crazy good value.

IMG_4139_zpsf16b7677.jpg

IMG_4137_zps5e9d57ae.jpg

IMG_4135_zpsa8cfcbac.jpg

IMG_4141_zps4cb4c0ee.jpg

IMG_4150_zpsb0f53b1d.jpg

IMG_4151_zpsdc2914f9.jpg

IMG_4153_zpse90c8d67.jpg

IMG_4154_zps500ad090.jpg

IMG_4155_zps91605997.jpg

IMG_4157_zps61e7cb69.jpg

IMG_4159_zpscd6d88ef.jpg

Nice looking box and subs!

Awesome to see another happy DCON user!  I tell people all the time of how bad ass the DCON's are for their price and power handling rating.  It's as though people don't think a sub will get loud without taking almost 1kw or more and immediately dismiss the DCON as an option.  

Jake I'm glad to hear you like them!