Sign in to follow this  
stfuFred45

Typical sundown vs alpine question

Hello all, im sure you're getting tired of seeing my post but here's another. I have 2 sundown SA-12s that will be in a ported 3.5cuft tuned to 32hz with 56sqin of port area on a saz-1500d v.3 wired at 1ohm so about 1500watts with all 1/0 gauge XS flex wire with the big three about to be put in my car. also going with audio technix sound deadener.

My buddy has 1 Alpine type R in a prefab sealed box and 1 Alpine type S in a ported prefab box( i would think the type R would be in the prorted and the type s would be sealed but what ever thats his choice) with 4 gauge wire on a 2000watt max amp (both running on same amp) that me or him have no idea what the rms is but he says its wired to 4ohms.

Where im going with this is i have been told you wont be able to here a huge difference between the type r and the sa-12. His type r and type s sound "ok". it hits the lows a lot better than the xplod he had but thats common sence. The problem is his isnt loud at all. he turnes the volume up to 38 and i only feel my hair move a tiny bit. My brother had 2 cerwin vegas back in the 90s and i felt that shit in my chest.

How much louder will the sa 12s be with the setup im going with? i understand i have better wiring and i know a better amp but im also not trying to spend what i have been on something that sounds just a little better than the type r and s.

not sure how big of a difference it make but i have a hatchback (eclipse)and he has a sealed trunk(saturn ion) with 1 seat down

He runs 2 different subs in the same car ? One in a ported box and one in a sealed box ? what a mess !!!

You must be louder, with your system in a hatchback car ! But you need to install everything and tell us what you think. Only you can tell !

You choose good equipments. :)

These kind of comparison threads won't do you any good. You're talking about two completely different setups in two completely different cars, there's no real comparison to either unless you're talking numbers on a meter. FYI it makes a HUGE difference on what cars and enclosures they're in.

Now, given the quality of the Sundown subs and the fact they'll be in a custom built enclosure that's to specifications (or close enough) on a higher quality amp I'm sure they'll perform very well, get plenty loud and sound very good. Given that your buddies setup is two prefab boxes of different types with a cheaper amp and in the trunk of a car with half the seat down I can imagine he's having response and cancellation issues amongst a multitude of other smaller issues that are giving the lackluster performance.

The enclosure determines ~90% of the performance you'll get from a sub. Put one of his Alpines in the proper enclosure and compare it to one of the SA12's and the playing field would be a little more even, but only a little. There's so many variables to consider when comparing stuff like this and if everything isn't apples to apples then the comparison doesn't have any real value.

Be confident that your intended setup, by all the information you provided and just doing a quick and dirty estimate, should easily outperform your buddies setup. That by no means is a guarantee, nor is it scientifically based on facts, it's just an opinion.

First telll your friend to take the type s out and build a custom box for his one type r in a ported box. I'm sure he will be amazed how much better it will sound lol

Is your box a prefab or custom? You have great quality equipment so do everything right and don't cut corners and you will be more than happy with your setup.

These kind of comparison threads won't do you any good. You're talking about two completely different setups in two completely different cars, there's no real comparison to either unless you're talking numbers on a meter. FYI it makes a HUGE difference on what cars and enclosures they're in. Now, given the quality of the Sundown subs and the fact they'll be in a custom built enclosure that's to specifications (or close enough) on a higher quality amp I'm sure they'll perform very well, get plenty loud and sound very good. Given that your buddies setup is two prefab boxes of different types with a cheaper amp and in the trunk of a car with half the seat down I can imagine he's having response and cancellation issues amongst a multitude of other smaller issues that are giving the lackluster performance. The enclosure determines ~90% of the performance you'll get from a sub. Put one of his Alpines in the proper enclosure and compare it to one of the SA12's and the playing field would be a little more even, but only a little. There's so many variables to consider when comparing stuff like this and if everything isn't apples to apples then the comparison doesn't have any real value. Be confident that your intended setup, by all the information you provided and just doing a quick and dirty estimate, should easily outperform your buddies setup. That by no means is a guarantee, nor is it scientifically based on facts, it's just an opinion.

well i was told to join this forum and ask around. Im spending a lot of money on all this stuff when i know someone who could have gotten me the type rs for about $100. He has the same car but with the jl w6. The sound quality is great inside that car but i think im just a little bit more into spl. I just dont want to be spending all this money when i could have went a little cheaper on the subs and not notice a huge difference. After hearing his system i got a little worried. I have never heard sundown in person and im really just going off of what people have told me and what all i have researched.

First telll your friend to take the type s out and build a custom box for his one type r in a ported box. I'm sure he will be amazed how much better it will sound lol Is your box a prefab or custom? You have great quality equipment so do everything right and don't cut corners and you will be more than happy with your setup.

im going to attempt to build my own box haha.

I don't think you should be worried about buying the Sundown subs. Worse can be bought for more money but very few better can be bought for less. The SA series subs have proven themselves and earned their salt in the competition world and many customers are just as happy with the quality of their sound as they are their output. If I were going to suggest other subs to look at it would be the SSA GCON and the Fi X series subs. You'll pay a little bit more and wait a little longer for the SSA and Fi subs but they're 100% hand built here the US and are unmatched quality for the money IMHO. You're not going to go wrong with any of them, so don't fret about the money you're spending, you're in good hands.

As for the enclosure, you need a good design to build yourself. If you don't already have one then we can help you with that as well. No matter what subs you decide to go with, including the Type R's, the enclosure is what will decide how well they perform. I almost want to recommend getting the R's and get you a kick ass enclosure design for them so you can rub it in his face, lol, but I won't. Stick with the plan you're working on so far, it will work out for you.

From my little experience : don't go cheap on speakers, it will be harder (but possible) to make them sound good.

I also like good equipments and good amplifiers, but if I was on a small budget I could buy lesser quality or cheaper amps, even Audiopipe amps !!!! They're cheap and they "work" !!!

First telll your friend to take the type s out and build a custom box for his one type r in a ported box. I'm sure he will be amazed how much better it will sound lol Is your box a prefab or custom? You have great quality equipment so do everything right and don't cut corners and you will be more than happy with your setup.
im going to attempt to build my own box haha.

Good! Listen to Alton. He really does know what he is talking about and I would have him help you design a custom box to the subs and your vehicle. He designed my box for my subs and is going to design an amp rack for my amps too. He's a great guy!

I don't think you should be worried about buying the Sundown subs. Worse can be bought for more money but very few better can be bought for less. The SA series subs have proven themselves and earned their salt in the competition world and many customers are just as happy with the quality of their sound as they are their output. If I were going to suggest other subs to look at it would be the SSA GCON and the Fi X series subs. You'll pay a little bit more and wait a little longer for the SSA and Fi subs but they're 100% hand built here the US and are unmatched quality for the money IMHO. You're not going to go wrong with any of them, so don't fret about the money you're spending, you're in good hands. As for the enclosure, you need a good design to build yourself. If you don't already have one then we can help you with that as well. No matter what subs you decide to go with, including the Type R's, the enclosure is what will decide how well they perform. I almost want to recommend getting the R's and get you a kick ass enclosure design for them so you can rub it in his face, lol, but I won't. Stick with the plan you're working on so far, it will work out for you.

My friend told me he got my designe from this forum and told me to sign up and ask people cause he really didnt know much about sundown either and i guess he got a lot of help from people on here

here is what it looks like if you wanted to see it

http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/Itsnotreal32/media/tac2137friendsdualSA12-1_zps316b9dc1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/Itsnotreal32/media/tac2137friendsdualSA12-1_zps316b9dc1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=1360171633795021765591888819824

i have a very small trunk so the measurement's might be a little weird

:D That definitely looks familiar. tac2137 is the friend who referred you? He asked me about that enclosure back just after Christmas. With that enclosure, the SA12's, and that SAZ1500 I find it hard to see any way that you'll have a problem with the quality of reproduction or the output.

I think you're in good shape.

:D/> That definitely looks familiar. tac2137 is the friend who referred you? He asked me about that enclosure back just after Christmas. With that enclosure, the SA12's, and that SAZ1500 I find it hard to see any way that you'll have a problem with the quality of reproduction or the output. I think you're in good shape.

So you're the one that made that design? Wow whats the odds of that! You also made his Jl w6 design right? i told him he had to get me a design like that cause after i heard it i just fell in love with it. i never really knew anything about ported boxes till he got his new one and i just couldn't believe how much of a difference it made from a prefab box to a custom

Depending how good you build your box you will be ALOT louder

It seems Alton has already set you straight, he is really a great guy, and I would listen to his advice. Especially in this case, your friend is a friggin idiot for running his system the way he is. I could only imagine what anything else looks like in his vehicle. You are in good shape. You made a good decision in box and equipment. Now, don't slack on the build of the box. If you don't trust your own craftmanship, then find and pay someone else. The design is only as good as its constrution. I can't wait to see this thing come together. Trust me, your system will sound so much better then him.