mlcantin

One quick question about alternators...

Is the wire from the alternator supposed to be connected to the positive or negative battery terminal?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother of God!

The LARGE cable is POWER.

The ground is the case itself. While not great, you can effectively get better voltage by running a cable somewhere as close to the case or on it as possible to ground of the battery.

unless your trying to weld.....

Jeep manual says different. It says alternator wire to battery negative terminal.

Pretty sure it doesn't, but go ahead and do what you read.

*disclaimer* SSA is not and can not be held liable for any actions taken due to what has been read on the internet.

Pretty sure it doesn't, but go ahead and do what you read. *disclaimer* SSA is not and can not be held liable for any actions taken due to what has been read on the internet.
I think the manual is wrong I am just trying to state how faulty manufacturers are Edited by mlcantin

Pretty sure it doesn't, but go ahead and do what you read. *disclaimer* SSA is not and can not be held liable for any actions taken due to what has been read on the internet.
I think the manual is wrong I am just trying to state how fault maunfacturers are

Quote exactly how it is stated in the manual, or post a picture of it :)

I think the manual is wrong I am just trying to state how fault maunfacturers are
Quote exactly how it is stated in the manual, or post a picture of it :)/>
I do all of the work on my car. From changing oil to electrical upgrades and I am getting a singer alt soon. My jeep is old technology (cherokee) so alts are taken off differently. The manual said when taking off alternator disconnect alternator wire from negative battery terminal....

It may have simply been trying to tell you to disconnect the negative cable from the battery so you don't accidentally short something out.

It may have simply been trying to tell you to disconnect the negative cable from the battery so you don't accidentally short something out.
Then they wrote it completely wrong lol

On high output alternators you want a ground between the alt. and negative of the battery.

On high output alternators you want a ground between the alt. and negative of the battery.
I know that but i mean in just taking off the stock alt thats what the manual said

positive is NOTHING with out a negitave when it comes to DC.

meaning.. you can remove the ground, and kill 100% of any danger of the +

understand?

positive is NOTHING with out a negitave when it comes to DC. meaning.. you can remove the ground, and kill 100% of any danger of the + understand?
Yes but i don't think you understand what i am saying

thats fine. i just wanted to make sure you understood that about 12 volt DC. :D

thats fine. i just wanted to make sure you understood that about 12 volt DC. :D/>/>
I may not have the same size system you have but I am not an idiot Edited by mlcantin

never said that...calm down guy,

your statements lead me to belive that you may not 100% understand why the manual told you to remove the negitive side....

anyway...

never said that...calm down guy, your statements lead me to belive that you may not 100% understand why the manual told you to remove the negitive side.... anyway...
I am letting my smd side out of me sorry lol. This is how they all talk over there. I stated it not 100% potently so let me state it again.

The manual said that the alternator was not connected to anything positive at all and is only grounded

Picture of manuel? Maybe we can help translate what it is saying for you.

This whole thread just blew my mind.