MikeMartel

New Speaker Setup Ideas

I'm doing a proper build log sometime soon. I always end up making one, not taking any pictures and basically forgetting about my whole build log thread. Going to be making a new one, first go over all the subwoofer content, new box, aeroport, vinyl wrapped amp racks ect. Time to show off my worksman ship. ;)

I'll be watching and keep reminding you to take pictures!

Peerless it is then..  Now, lets see how good my skills are.   http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/fountek-fr89ex-3-full-range-4-ohm/   How is that for a full range?

From the measurements I've seen they don't make a spectacular widebander.  Great midrange, but not a great WB on the top end.  Many people use them as WB though and are happy, so I guess it's all relative.

WB aren't my forte, honestly.....I'm not as well read or experienced with their relative performance.  Sean would probably be able to give suggestions much quicker than myself.  I'd need to spend some time researching.

Crap, a topic I actually dig and missed it.  Took a PM from Mike for me to find it.

The FR88/89 doesn't look like on paper like the response is stellar up top but it'll more than make up for that in the voicing of the midrange itself.  I am an absolute fan of the FR & mini-sub for a front stage.  If you can make the mounting locations work the effect is stellar for a lot of reasons.  Between the ease of tuning, voicing from a near point source, and monster midbass I absolutely love the idea WHEN you can mount the FR on axis.

The best sounding car setup I've ever heard used a Fostex FF85 mated with a stupid $15 5" sub for midbass and a JL W3 playing 40Hz and below.  Imaging and FR was insane.  Output wasn't its forte, but was still more than plenty.

Obviously with the sensitivity and power handling ultra loud is not the goal nor benefit of full range and a monster midbass.  Imaging, ease of processing and the focus a point source allows can be huge.

I've read every time a thread comes up about using a fullrange/widebander about how those 3" (average size) full range speakers don't do super well on the top end or get real loud.  I've used to have the Logitech Z-560 4.1 speaker set (still have all the speakers too, amp blew on it) and now I have the Z-5500's on my computer.  Both sets use 3" full range speakers (look just like several of the TB speakers) for the highs and quite honestly except maybe for the very highest frequencies I don't notice an issue with the range.  Same on the output, the damn things will get almost stupid loud.  Now, I'm sure they're not doing anything super special with these things, not at their price point, so either my tastes for high frequency range and output are a fair bit off center in comparison to you guys and your experience, or I've simply and straight up never experienced what really great speakers sound like and the output big power subs can do.  I'm sure the answer is a little bit of both, but in my experience with these sets it's hard for me to imagine needing any more output or having any real issues with the upper range response.  I guess I just have a hard time understanding where the comments come from.

Peerless it is then..  Now, lets see how good my skills are.   http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/fountek-fr89ex-3-full-range-4-ohm/   How is that for a full range?

From the measurements I've seen they don't make a spectacular widebander.  Great midrange, but not a great WB on the top end.  Many people use them as WB though and are happy, so I guess it's all relative.

WB aren't my forte, honestly.....I'm not as well read or experienced with their relative performance.  Sean would probably be able to give suggestions much quicker than myself.  I'd need to spend some time researching.

>>Crap, a topic I actually dig and missed it.  Took a PM from Mike for me to find it.

The FR88/89 doesn't look like on paper like the response is stellar up top but it'll more than make up for that in the voicing of the midrange itself.  I am an absolute fan of the FR & mini-sub for a front stage.  If you can make the mounting locations work the effect is stellar for a lot of reasons.  Between the ease of tuning, voicing from a near point source, and monster midbass I absolutely love the idea WHEN you can mount the FR on axis.

The best sounding car setup I've ever heard used a Fostex FF85 mated with a stupid $15 5" sub for midbass and a JL W3 playing 40Hz and below.  Imaging and FR was insane.  Output wasn't its forte, but was still more than plenty.

Obviously with the sensitivity and power handling ultra loud is not the goal nor benefit of full range and a monster midbass.  Imaging, ease of processing and the focus a point source allows can be huge.

I've read every time a thread comes up about using a fullrange/widebander about how those 3" (average size) full range speakers don't do super well on the top end or get real loud.  I've used to have the Logitech Z-560 4.1 speaker set (still have all the speakers too, amp blew on it) and now I have the Z-5500's on my computer.  Both sets use 3" full range speakers (look just like several of the TB speakers) for the highs and quite honestly except maybe for the very highest frequencies I don't notice an issue with the range.  Same on the output, the damn things will get almost stupid loud.  Now, I'm sure they're not doing anything super special with these things, not at their price point, so either my tastes for high frequency range and output are a fair bit off center in comparison to you guys and your experience, or I've simply and straight up never experienced what really great speakers sound like and the output big power subs can do.  I'm sure the answer is a little bit of both, but in my experience with these sets it's hard for me to imagine needing any more output or having any real issues with the upper range response.  I guess I just have a hard time understanding where the comments come from.

Like I said before.....it has a lot to do with the listener, the listening material, personal preference, etc.  Some people can't really hear above ~15khz anyways (sometimes even lower), some music has more info up there than others, some people preference's don't require a lot of top end "air" and "sparkle".  Same thing with horns....even the "good" ID horns roll off hard around 15khz in most installations.  Output (within the main passband) is sufficient for the average listener to jam on.  I like to rock out and haven't had any problems getting enough output.  Then again I also don't have 150db of bass..... 

>>>Crap, a topic I actually dig and missed it.  Took a PM from Mike for me to find it.

lockquote>

>Obviously with the sensitivity and power handling ultra loud is not the goal nor benefit of full range and a monster midbass.  Imaging, ease of processing and the focus a point source allows can be huge.

Like I said before.....it has a lot to do with the listener, the listening material, personal preference, etc.  Some people can't really hear above ~15khz anyways (sometimes even lower), some music has more info up there than others, some people preference's don't require a lot of top end "air" and "sparkle".  Same thing with horns....even the "good" ID horns roll off hard around 15khz in most installations.  Output (within the main passband) is sufficient for the average listener to jam on.  I like to rock out and haven't had any problems getting enough output.  Then again I also don't have 150db of bass..... 

That's your problem right there. You aren't living man! :P

Might seem like a stupid question but do those Peerless SLS8's only come in 8 ohm? Will my PG Ti500.4 have enough output at 8 ohms to properly power those woofers?

I recommend a fiberglass mold. That's what I am doing with my super tweeters when I install them

Might seem like a stupid question but do those Peerless SLS8's only come in 8 ohm? Will my PG Ti500.4 have enough output at 8 ohms to properly power those woofers?

Should be fine.

Bridge it to the midbass and get a 2nd affordable amp for the WB's :)

mine are running fine off a kicker kx 250.2. Even if i had more power on tap my doors currently can not handle it without rattling excessively (This is after tons of deadening. POS gm door panel design :( ).