probillygun

Sound deadener that lost it's adhesive quality

I bought a large roll of "Edead" (From Elemental designs when they were still in business) sound deadener about 5 years ago, and it was stored in my garage in a cool dry place and I just came across it and decided to use it for my current system. However when I peeled back the white plastic it's not very tacky at all. I wonder if it was like this when I purchased it 5 years ago or if it got this way from sitting around for 5 years?

Is there a shelf life on sound deadener?

It still has a little bit of tackiness left, is there any way I can salvage it and use it?

Is there something I can apply to it that might reactivate the adheasive? Or what about applying another type of adheasive like contact cement or something similar?

I'm hoping I can still use it, even if its just on horizontal surfaces like the floor...What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Try using a heat gun or a propane torch, it should get sticky again once you heat it up.

I bought a large roll of "Edead" (From Elemental designs when they were still in business) sound deadener about 5 years ago, and it was stored in my garage in a cool dry place and I just came across it and decided to use it for my current system. However when I peeled back the white plastic it's not very tacky at all. I wonder if it was like this when I purchased it 5 years ago or if it got this way from sitting around for 5 years?

Is there a shelf life on sound deadener?

It still has a little bit of tackiness left, is there any way I can salvage it and use it?

Is there something I can apply to it that might reactivate the adheasive? Or what about applying another type of adheasive like contact cement or something similar?

I'm hoping I can still use it, even if its just on horizontal surfaces like the floor...What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I wound try some type of spray adhesive like 3M 777.

You can try a heat gun, I don't think you will have much luck and if you use another adhesive the only place I would use it would be the floor.

I did give Greg some info to give you for deadening the FJ.

Edited by nem

if you live in an area that is winterized right now

that could be why its not so sticky

have you tried feeling it at room temperature?

Honestly depending on type of eDead you have it is probably crap anyways.  I can't think of a single version they made off hand that was actually any good.  So even if you get it to adhere to a surface of your vehicle, that does not mean it is going to perform well.

Do you know what type/version of eDead you have?

Take that blow torch as suggested before and burn it. 

I have used the stuff and it will only work in horizontal planes mass loaded in multi layers.

I tried to post a pic of it but it didnt work....says "Fat Mat" on it.

Like this?

FatMatTrunk%20(Small).jpg

Don't use it and buy something new. 

Don't use it and buy something new. 

Agreed