Quentin Jarrell

Cheap bookshelf M5, Impious, Tirefryer, little help?

My little sister is wanting a cheap little set up.  Nothing fancy just something cheap and sounds halfway decent at normal listening levels.  Her room is pretty small so Imaging is not a concern.  She would be happy with something off the shelf from Walmart but she wants me to help build something that is hers.  I'll more than likely buy a small 4 channel amp from parts express and build the crossovers and add a 3.5mm plug so she can hook her Iphone to it.  I was looking at these Dayton's they are pretty cheap about 20 bucks a piece: DC28F-8 and DC160-8. 

My question is would y'all recommend anything else that's around the same price range.  My knowledge of what's available is quite lacking.  The resonces of the mid and tweet are below per Dayton's website.

dc28f-8tweeter_zps84001dab.jpg

dc160-8_zps35622943.jpg

Look at a pair of active monitor speakers like behringer pair those would be plenty and sound dam good!

Better combo here than the Dayton's above.

http://zaphaudio.com/ZMV5.html

Next step up price wise in drivers would be the Dayton Ref's, but the crossover components will kill you quick with exotic cones. Even the non-exotics in that price range have some breakup to tame that unless you go a bit more all out become a law of diminishing returns quickly.

The Peerless has a very tameable peak as well, if another 5.5 is in the running:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1078

All depends on your compromises, budget makes it tough for me as my price point is usually a bit higher smile.png

thanks, I think we will try the MCM/Vifa system.

Can also look at the Bargain Aluminum MTM from Zaph which is a bit pricier (due to more drivers, but still pretty reasonable individually) but would probably have a little bit more low end strength if that was her cup of tea.