smashedz28

Anyone used pre made speaker pods?

Ran across a website that makes speaker pods for my vehicle. (03 Tahoe)

http://www.customspeakerpods.com/Front-Door-Speaker-Pods-for-65-Speakers-GM-01-01-01-A.htm

Has anyone used these? Price isn't bad at all. The different aiming of the speaker may be a plus. Opinions, comments?

cheap.. if i could i would.

The quality looks like the price.  You can see gaps at the mounting area.  And they look awfully close to the dash.  I'd be concerned about then rubbing.

Good point

The quality looks like the price.  You can see gaps at the mounting area.  And they look awfully close to the dash.  I'd be concerned about then rubbing.

Good point. Let me add I have 0 fiberglass experience. I don't want these for the cosmetic look. I want an overall better sounding front stage. If I purchased these I would get the standard single 6.5 per door. I would think putting the tweet up in the stock location (pillar) would be a better place for it. If the design and speaker aiming wont help me at all I might as well just skip the pod and use the stock location right behind it.

I'm really sick of my front stage installs sounding like ass. I usually just throw a set of components and an amp and call it a day. I want this one to be different.

97s have that panel?

lol Im a douche I went to ur sig.....long night.

I had an 04. Hell these pods were commonly done in 5.25. Now they got ya bendin stuff?...lol

Im very familiar with this door. Ive gone from 6.5" up to a 10" and that particular pod wont give you enough midbass response with a simple drop in. I mean if ur after good sound anyway

Theres a better route than this pod I guess.

Yea. Still got the 97 but selling it to finish paying off the 03. Moving the sub stage straight into this one .Thanks for the response. I got maybe a month before tackling this project. Had horrible results with just cld tiles and a zapco component set in my 97.

This time I'm fully deadening doors with cld tiles, Ccf and MLV. Just saw these and since I don't trust myself to build a quality pod or want to pay the ghetto shops here to make me some. Thought it may work. One thing I've learned for sure is a good sounding front stage is so much more difficult than sub stage lol. I've even began looking at 3 way component systems (assuming I use these pods since fiberglass isn't an option right now).

Theres a better route than this pod I guess.

What do you suggest?

I honestly liked 3 way but since ur not glassing even thats tough to get you on the same page.

I tried a couple different tweeters with a CDT CL 4 in the pillar. It was great.

Definitely seal up the door and mount right to it thats half the battle. The A pillars work well in these but I had a different scenario...Id probably mess with both tweet locations before finalizing. Like really listen to each spot for a bit.

Ok. Thanks for the advice man.

Those are dumb. They mount to the door card and not to the door. Defeats the purpose. Uber easy to fit stuff in the nbs doors

Those are dumb. They mount to the door card and not to the door. Defeats the purpose. Uber easy to fit stuff in the nbs doors

Are you saying when a door is fiberglassed it isn't attached to the door card also? Or because the back is more than likely closed off from the door? Not being a smart ass just trying to understand exactly what your saying.

Nbs doors?

Just PMd the person who used them in a build log and he says good about them. Given I didn't get all the details of his install. Took it with a grain of salt. He did mention drivers side DOES rub slightly but he has a 6.5 and 5.25 in his pods.said the top speaker grill hits the ebrake.

Mounting to the door panel isn't a very structurally sound surface and will be prone to resonances and rattles, moreso than a speaker in the stock location since all of the vibrations from the speaker's movement will be transferred straight into the door panel.  There also isn't a good way to seal the backwave unless they were actually sealed pods.  Overall just not a good mounting method.

Thanks. Appreciate everyone's advice and opinions. Not saying I won't ever try em but its going to be only if nothing else works for me.

Those are stupid.

You can mount exactly the same things for FREE behind the stock grill. I cut the edges on mine and a 7" driver on a >1" baffle was no problem. Allowed me to deaden the door and seal off the back wave as well. Looks 100% stock as well which is always a bonus if the alternative is something not great looking.

NBS = new body style, versus OBS = old body style. How those trucks were referred to when they came out.

Perfect. Great info as always. Stock look is a lot better IMO also. Thanks fellas!

The best part of that truck is the doors midbass response. They almost cheat. You'd lose that with those "pods"

Right on. Screw those pods then. Il just deaden and use stock locations.