Sign in to follow this  
sound=vibration

92 Civic Hatch Complete Rebuild Motor Interior ECT.

So some back story I bought the hatch back my senior year of highschool with the intentions of making a loud daily driver setup and ended up getting real involved with build car mainly Hondas. I always helped with other builds but was never able to do what I wanted to mine until now. I did end up getting my setup together as far as audio but the hatch was never what I really wanted it to be. Recently I have become a single man and around the same time I was promoted at work and now make enough to redo my hatch while still providing for my two daughters. Basically I am doing this now because I finally can!! I have been out of the scene entierly too long and I am back now. Hope some of you around here remeber me haha. Keep in mind I have done everything to this car with my own two hands. I has never seen a shop!!!

So here we go I cant find my old build on here but I will start fresh here. I have gone through 4 engines and now have decided I want reliability so this is the tear down. While I had the motor out and at the machine shop I wanted to liven up my engine bay. I was set on painting it a light tan and found out someone close to me had been diagnoised with breast cancer and decided what the hell pink it is.! Kinda of a dedication kind of deal. I got to work here are some pics.

_MG_0750_zpsf82544a4.jpg

This above was the tear down after I removed the engine. I dont have any picture of it but I completely tore down the ending I have spun a bearing in and it is currently at the machine shop. More on that later this week.

_MG_0755_zpse6ff280f.jpg

After hours of sanding and prep work. At this point I had also done a full wire tuck re-routing all the headlight wiring, turn signals, ac, brake fluid level sensor, engine harness wiring as well as the whole engine harness, and wiper motor wiring has all been taken out of sight and yes everything is still completly functional.

_MG_0761_zps7129eb58.jpg

Preping and shooting her with primer. It is a pain trust me fingers were raw by the end of the night.

_MG_0768_zpsd0670f17.jpg

Holy batman pink! My nieghboor is a painter and helped me shoot the actaul paint it self Lots of fun cant wait to do the exterior!!!

_MG_0770_zps7354192b.jpg

_MG_0783_zpsa339c322.jpg

here I put the bumper headlights and fenders on, I already have new replacements for them but I am keeping them off until I paint the exterior in a month or two.

This is everything that will be under the hood minus engine and tranny everything else is relocated or hidden.

_MG_0784_zps3c18a9e7.jpg

Still need to remove the brake booster and paint it gloss black. It is in horrible shape at the moment. I am also going to re-route all the brake lines and position the prop valve in the interior of the car, the battery is relocated to the rear of the car now and the under the hood fuse box has been relocated under the dash. Ill get pics of that when I start messing with the interior some more.

As of now I am waiting to pick up the Block which is a D16y8. I had it bored and shot peened the rods with arp studs pressed on and resized, it also has been jet cleaned, decked and honed. I already have my master rebuild kit in the garage as well as brand new pistons, water pump, oil pump, and every single gasket. The rotating assembly was also balances as this is going to be TURBO charged after break in.!!! I promise pics of the engine as soon as I get it from the maching shop and I will also take pictures as I assemble it.

MARK I need a pink SSA sticker for the Firewall. I will also be getting breast cancer awareness banners air brushed onto the shock towers!!!

Things I have done that I dont have pictures of

Integra GSR rear disk break setup already installed with sway bar

All new bushing in the suspension

New ball joints

New inner and outer Tie rods

New pads rotors and calipers all the way around

Steel braided brake lines

Skunk2 adjustable coil overs

Tockico blue stuts

Front and Rear adjustable camber kits

Front Sway bar kit

Rear beaks tie bar

Full dash swap

All the interior has been changed to black interior minus the rear hatch plastics. I am still trying to find decent ones.

I also have new carpet for it that I have not installed

00 si front seats

Integra rear seats

I promise picture of all this as I go through this build.

Plan is to have the car back on the road in about 3 weeks as this is my daily driver.

So when it comes to audio muahahhahahahahaha.

I have everything except the tweeters I want.

My setup consist of

2 Icon 12s

1 Audio pipe 3kd

1 Kicker 400.4 dx I belive is the modle number

4 AA Audio Carbon 7in mids

Two fiberglassed kick pods

and two kicker Tweets

all of it has been pulled out of the car while I redo the interior

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

This was when I made the kick pods about a year ago. Excuse the dash it is long gone now.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

.IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

And here she is a few years ago I did a photoshoot with her in it. She needs some body work now lol!

20100912_259.jpg

Edited by sound=vibration

miss your builds, glad your back.

Tuned in! Nice Eg.

Awesome Ride ... Cool pics !!!

Thanks alot more to come trying to finish the car by Aug so I can save for a RHD hatch.

glad to see you're back Ernie!

Thanks Mark! Glad to be back gotta say it was a hell of a ride getting here.

just found a video of Enrie's car a few years back.. has it been that long? wow.

Yup about two years now. Two long ass years I dont have intentions on leaving this time.

miss your builds, glad your back.

Thanks. More comming! keep your eyes peeled.

Tuned in! Nice Eg.

Thanks I love me EG!

Long ride indeed my friend, that I am sure of.

Sure do miss you being here in Az, No homo. Ok ok a little bit of homo!

nice work

Heres a few pics of the Relocated fuse box. My car never had a passanger air bag so I set out to find a dash with a passanger air bag so I could remove it and use the space for my fuse box. So here it is. I still need to make the bracket to hold it in place but it is all wired up and ready to go!

_MG_0799_zps12e71780.jpg

Looks blue due to the flash but it is black as you can see it dirty as hell from sitting for about a month now. Notice the top left where the air bag is! of and excuse the steering wheel it is gonna be switch out to a NRG wheel and a shorter hub.

_MG_0796_zpsc4c581f4.jpg

Another shot

_MG_0797_zps195f2ebf.jpg

This is the top removed

_MG_0798_zpse250fdde.jpg

Here is the fuse box. I did have to modify it a small bit so it would fit but to get it to where it is now I cut no wires only depinned and untangled them from the stock harness one by one and reorganized them. I then re ran them with the dash removed and whalaaa.

_MG_0803_zpsff291ecc.jpg

My removable steering wheel.

_MG_0800_zps7faa5380.jpg

Here are 3 of the 6 plugs I depinned and re ran to the center of the dash. From there the engine harness will come through the firewall and connect into these completly hidden from sight in the engine bay.

Im tracking down the pictures of me doing the actual wire tuck it was like have a lap full of spagettii.

_MG_0811_zpsfad569e2.jpg

Another pic of the bay. Installed the cruise control delete groumet as well as all the other black plugs and grouments and the windshield washer delete plug. I just need to order the two block off plates for the holes behind the shock towers. Other things going on this week will be the removale of the brake booster so I can paint it gloss black and rotate it 180 degrees so I can hide the vaccum line better.

nrg_wash_red1_zps5ca369a2.jpg

Got a set of these comming for the fender and front bumper!

Edited by sound=vibration

A lot of work going into that thing, nice job so far.

Love the engine bay. Took me about a week to do a full wire tuck on my EF

A lot of work going into that thing, nice job so far.

Yup lots of sleepless nights and long days at work. Oh and my nagging kids while im trying to work on it. Thanks

respect! clean build/s

Thanks

Love the engine bay. Took me about a week to do a full wire tuck on my EF

Thanks, probably have about  12-16 hours into wire tucking. Very difficult to keep everything and still tuck it all including ac woot. AZ is hot.

Update here shortly check back

_MG_0833_zpse2a4cf33.jpg

One of my daughter putting in the new NRG dress up washers and bolts.

_MG_0838_zps767c5021.jpg.

And my other daughter doing some. Shes only 2 but is pretty handy with tools.

_MG_0842_zps7ec0de9b.jpg

MMMM NRG!

_MG_0845_zps4c0ee310.jpg

More NRG Love!

_MG_0853_zps552c8f99.jpg

My little brother bought me some presents!!! Straight from the Factory!

_MG_0851_zps014f8fc0.jpg

Oem Mudflaps!

_MG_0858_zps7bfc5dc7.jpg

Rain Gaurds!!!

_MG_0855_zpsca2bacbd.jpg

Polished Beaks lower Tie bar!

_MG_0802_zpsedcaa67d.jpg

Notice the door panel.

_MG_0872_zpsbf5f6212.jpg

Wrapped one of my doors inserts. The picture of the actaul process are on my ipod. I will post them later. More to come. I will be doing the head liner, rear panel inserts, Shift boot, And arm rest.

_MG_0874_zpscfee9dc7.jpg

Picked it up from the machine shop!

_MG_0876_zps98708c48.jpg

Yup Yup. The whole roatating assembly was balanced. This is the Crank.

_MG_0877_zps100f3559.jpg

_MG_0880_zps33833a84.jpg

Arp Goodness!

_MG_0878_zps9198b1cb.jpg

Machine shop hooked me up with a Free shot peening and resizing of my rods. They also wieght matched all 4.

_MG_0887_zps1c38bb12.jpg

_MG_0883_zps7de37f26.jpg

_MG_0882_zps283d91df.jpg

NRP rings and all new gaskets, oil pump, water pump, bearings, and timming componets.

_MG_0881_zpsa9db0220.jpg

Some more balanced goodness. My Crank pulley and Presure plate and flywheel. Dont mind the old pistons in there.

_MG_0930_zpsd721d549.jpg

On the stand.

_MG_0931_zps9dba39a9.jpg

Sprayed with high temp silver.

_MG_0929_zps40a2c7c0.jpg

Primmed ready for gloss black paint.

_MG_0888_zps17162072.jpg

Anodized oil cap I may use. Matched my NRG bolts.

I am trying to start the assembly on the engine today. If I do check back for pics.

Ok here is an update. I have just about competed the bottom end of the engine. Camera dies so I will pull some of the pics off my ipod unfortunately I wasn't able to take a lot of picture due to the camera being dead. Anyhow here ya go.

_MG_0932_zps01f332e6.jpg

Npr Rings!

_MG_0933_zpsdc922d41.jpg

MMM. 1st 2nd and 3rds

_MG_0934_zps7c151ecb.jpg

Checking piston ring gap. It takes forever, don't mind the surface rust on the water jackets it wipes right off.

_MG_0935_zps67271f58.jpg

The pistons

_MG_0936_zpsedc49064.jpg

Bearings and Thrust washers

_MG_0938_zps42823e9c.jpg

Nicely balanced crank.!

_MG_0939_zps93ac7e59.jpg

Crank Girdle before its cleaning

_MG_0941_zps339b4d55.jpg

Key to a good rebuild is to bag and organize all the parts and bolts that will get reused. Here are my Girdle bolts.

_MG_0942_zps57bc67ef.jpg

Crank girdle is cleaned up and bolts.

_MG_0946_zps485a2024.jpg

Another shot.

_MG_0948_zps2ca644b8.jpg

All girdle bolts in place making sure all the threads are in good working order.

_MG_0951_zps58c50b5c.jpg

Plasti-gauge time.

_MG_0953_zps37e30a0d.jpg

Torque time.!

_MG_0970_zps488cf7b3.jpg

Why I had an empty ice chest on the floor is beyond me.

_MG_0976_zps10f726da.jpg

Girdle came back out..

_MG_0987_zps86f5b04d.jpg

After checking the plasti-gauge and cleaning it up I lubed all the journals and slapped the crank back in just to remove it another two times.!

_MG_0995_zps2070ba8c.jpg

Crank.

_MG_0999_zps95ae63b2.jpg

Here are the first two pistons being put in.

_MG_1015_zps0ab685cb.jpg

Called it a night and got some corona since I am finally old enough to buy beer WOOOt.

_MG_1017_zps70e297ce.jpg

Old oil pump!

_MG_1019_zpse782a3ad.jpg

Oil pump bolts.

_MG_1018_zps64d3ef5b.jpg

Prepping the gasket surface.

_MG_1020_zps7f947504.jpg

Oil pump on. Ripped the front seal thank god I had an extra so pulled it and put another new from main seal. Also started cleaning the water pump area.

_MG_1021_zps217692ca.jpg

New water pump.

_MG_1022_zpsb9a27f32.jpg

MMMM. Pump goodness.

_MG_1023_zps65e4e8a1.jpg

Both mated up to the block.

_MG_1024_zps7e06c56d.jpg

Oil pickup. Extremely hard to clean due to all the old metal in it.

_MG_1025_zps707293f8.jpg

Cleaned up and ready to go.

_MG_1026_zps81b60482.jpg

Bolted in now.

_MG_1027_zpsdc2e8bc1.jpg

Took out the old rear main seal/

not sure where the finished pic is but it is on now

_MG_1029_zps0ca73eba.jpg

Didn't bother deep cleaning the outside of the oil pan as I will be replacing it its all banged up. However I deep cleaned the inside.

_MG_1031_zps2a6f70a0.jpg

It is a lot further along now I will get some more pictures here soon.

_MG_1044_zps28db52c2.jpg

This is my little brothers Civic we are also working on. It is also our parts getter at the moment :P

t_MG_1063_zps9ee78ba7.jpg

Bottom end is pretty much complete. Excuse the mess around it.

_MG_1064_zpsc3f4ae43.jpg

Just another quick shot.

_MG_1065_zps5bef1782.jpg

Finally painted and rotated the booster 180 degrees. Also notice a leak in the master cylinder and did want to risk ruining the paint and ended up getting a new one.

_MG_1068_zps275507e2.jpg

Just another angle.

_MG_1075_zps109d9a86.jpg

A storm came through so its a little dirty but brackets are glossy black as well.

_MG_1072_zpsffe67e91.jpg.

Trying to get the head all finished up this week so I can get it back on the road. Work is demanding a lot of time at the moment so we will see how things go.

Looking good man!

So if I need any engine work done, I'll contact you? :D

Looking good man!

So if I need any engine work done, I'll contact you? biggrin.png

Thanks. Lol feel free. Just hope you don't mind the drive from Phoenix to Tucson.

:)

I like all the build pis!

How much power at the wheels are you expecting ?

Looks great!

Although its a shame to do all that work and use a fram filter.