Sign in to follow this  
Jordan94z

How would you guys feel

About a small XBL^2 Full Range driver, capable of replacing a tweeter, and playing down to about 300Hz?

Sound like something you fella's would be interested in?

I know this has been long anticipated for some, including myself... I was thinking one day... Why wait?

I have been contemplating having something like I described built.. And starting a little business of my own. It would be small scale, but if I could garner some success from it who knows. Their might not even be room for someone else out there! But I would like to know the interest level before I start throwing all my money into it.

So let me hear it!

Yes! No! You are an idiot! Tell me your thoughts :D

Jordan

It would definetely be interested to run a 2 way with an 8 and still hold staging setup in an easy way. Of course as long as it isn't a large compromise to do it.

The plan was a 2" driver, possibly with a neo magnet, won't know until if/when it gets into further development.

I am hoping people will be able to mate it with a 6.5" or 8" with no problems. I don't want there to be any sacrifice either. That is my goal.

I have also thought doing a 5.25" XBL^2 driver, because there is currently none on the market, and I know some people have space limitation (M5 if your stereo is like my 530i, stock spot is 5.25).

Edited by Jordan94z

that might be a good idea!!!

my next full install I would love to run a 3 way set up with parts like those

"that might be a good idea!!!"

How reassuring! haha

I would like it to be compact enough to fit up your dash or a-pillar like some people do, but mounting it on or off axis won't be a huge problem. If there were more options available for 2" baskets the stroke could be improved, and it could possibly have even more extended frequency.. But I think the current target I have set will deliever with ease!

although the high end on that css looks lke it would be really lacking.

heck im down... if it can really play that freq range with authority and clarity, i may have to cross the poly mids a little lower than expected :)

although the high end on that css looks lke it would be really lacking.

heck im down... if it can really play that freq range with authority and clarity, i may have to  cross the poly mids a little lower than expected :)

Ya.

I know... I have a pair of CSS WR125's....

But I can't throw those in my dash, and where tweeters would normally be.

The idea is you have a nice 6.5 or 8" midbass and a smaller 2" tweeter/midrange... Saves alot of space.

I know... I have a pair of CSS WR125's....

But I can't throw those in my dash, and where tweeters would normally be.

The idea is you have a nice 6.5 or 8" midbass and a smaller 2" tweeter/midrange... Saves alot of space.

I dont see the benefits of XBL^2 in such a small application.

But who knows..

OK :D

Basically, I have seen in testing with XBL^2 drivers that when pushing the limits of their frequency response they are able to play alot cleaner through their given stroke. Now if the frequency response is cut off at 300hz, it is not going to go below 300hz.. but up until 300hz you will not notice any drop off of motor force and the sound will stay how you want it.

Because the woofer is able to keep that "flat" sound it can also maintain less distortion through its range of sound..

It is so weird for me to be responding from this side of the discussion by the way..... I kinda like it :D

I'm down as long as this driver can do this off-axis, which I can't see happening, but I know nothing abou driver design, so GOOD LUCK!

invariably, the further off axis you get the worse it will be.

But it really depends on the install and the vehicle :)

im possibly down, depending on price

Yeah...beaming will be your worst enemy when trying to play 20khz through a 2" driver. If you read that "what DW thinks will happen in car audio in the near future" thing over on SIN...that's basically what Dan said is where he sees the market heading. A good, long excursion 2" full range capable of keeping it's composer down to ~250-300hz, playing all the way up to 20khz, with a shallow mount 8" midwoofer (which, by the way...if you're going to do the 2", you might aswell have them design you a shallow mount, long throw 8" midbass aswell and offer them as a set).

What I would like to see, is an XBL^2 HLCD with a good full bodied horn body attached to it. Something that will play relatively clean down to ~250hz (with some EQ work)...but at 105db+ efficiency :D I had mentioned this to Dan a while ago in a thread over on ECA....he basically said it's completely possible. I just don't have the funds to do it.

The plan was a 2" driver, possibly with a neo magnet, won't know until if/when it gets into further development.

I am hoping people will be able to mate it with a 6.5" or 8" with no problems. I don't want there to be any sacrifice either. That is my goal.

I have also thought doing a 5.25" XBL^2 driver, because there is currently none on the market, and I know some people have space limitation (M5 if your stereo is like my 530i, stock spot is 5.25).

A normal 5.25 won't fit anyway, you need the reverse mount euro crap. You must have missed my link with the build, I put a 7" Seas in the kick no problems. Actually used an 8" grill and had there been a real option for the top that I could get by with a low crossover I would have used it. Pretty off-axis down there....

I too feel a 2" driver would be much more manageable to creatively mount for better on axis accessibility. I am sure that off axis at high frequencies will be a slight problem with a 2" near full range, but the mounting options will definetely outweigh those issues.

Yeah...beaming will be your worst enemy when trying to play 20khz through a 2" driver.  If you read that "what DW thinks will happen in car audio in the near future" thing over on SIN...that's basically what Dan said is where he sees the market heading.  A good, long excursion 2" full range capable of keeping it's composer down to ~250-300hz, playing all the way up to 20khz, with a shallow mount 8" midwoofer (which, by the way...if you're going to do the 2", you might aswell have them design you a shallow mount, long throw 8" midbass aswell and offer them as a set).

What I would like to see, is an XBL^2 HLCD with a good full bodied horn body attached to it.  Something that will play relatively clean down to ~250hz (with some EQ work)...but at 105db+ efficiency :D  I had mentioned this to Dan a while ago in a thread over on ECA....he basically said it's completely possible.  I just don't have the funds to do it.

I have thought about doing a shallow 6 or 8 along with it and going full out on a component set, but I have always thought, where the hell am I going to get the money to do that right now...

Thats why I thought I would start small(extremely small lol) and work my way up eventually. I have talked to Dan about the 6 and 8, he was the one to say it would pair well, and I had been thinking about that for a long time..

The horn idea is not bad, I have heard some people absolutely love their horns, but I have no personal experience.

A normal 5.25 won't fit anyway, you need the reverse mount euro crap.  You must have missed my link with the build, I put a 7" Seas in the kick no problems.  Actually used an 8" grill and had there been a real option for the top that I could get by with a low crossover I would have used it.  Pretty off-axis down there....

I too feel a 2" driver would be much more manageable to creatively mount for better on axis accessibility.  I am sure that off axis at high frequencies will be a slight problem with a 2" near full range, but the mounting options will definetely outweigh those issues.

Thats nice to know, 7's would go nicely in there for me... maybe I can get my RE8s in there? HMMMmmmm... I think I am going to wait and me and my brother are going to do a big install in the Sky RL when it comes later this year.

I did miss the link though, my bad :) See I can market this idea strictly to E34 BMW owners :lol:

I was having trouble viewing the attachments, but the previews looked GREAT, excel mids look sweet...

Question, did you take the stock kicks and modify them? I cannot tell...