Dexter Chaos

Dexters Sebring

Concerned with weight? Dafuq.

Probably going to need more battery. 

Looking good though. 

What are you goals for this system? If you just want loud, clean bass and want an ssa sub. Why not save some weight and money and run a single XCON 15 in a baltic birch ported box, with 1 2,000 watt amp? That's probably 75 pounds less weight with 90% of the performance and 1/3rd less cost.

And 4-8" subs don't have more cone area than 2 15" subs, lol. 1 15" is almost the same cone area as 2 12" subs. 

Probably going to need more battery. 

Looking good though. 

OK how do I determine how much battery I will need?

If I leave my stock battery upfront and us both XS D34000 in rear of car would that be sufficient?

Do I need to look at a different model of battery?

What are you goals for this system? If you just want loud, clean bass and want an ssa sub. Why not save some weight and money and run a single XCON 15 in a baltic birch ported box, with 1 2,000 watt amp? That's probably 75 pounds less weight with 90% of the performance and 1/3rd less cost.

And 4-8" subs don't have more cone area than 2 15" subs, lol. 1 15" is almost the same cone area as 2 12" subs. 

This is my first full blown system. I have one 12 now but not happy and not the correct sub for me. I am just wanting to upgrade to a better system that just gets down right nasty loud and low. But I also want to have respect for sound and what it is. I would like to see some cup holder movement. Not sure how else to explain this.

I am pretty sure I would not be able to build a box for the fifteen to fit in my trunk. I would have height issues with that size of sub and stil being able to make properly sized box. I am intending to make the sub forward fire with the port facing same direction to also help with car vibration of trunk. This is why I am looking at 2 12's.

I have thought about using the sa8 v-2 as a door mounted midbass sub or used on my rear deck for midbass. Has this been done or is this just  a bad idea?

You don't want to leave the stock battery in there with the XS powers. Your stocker is probably a typical lead acid and the XS power are AGM type, they don't mix well. I would just go with those 2 for now, I think they should do ok especially once you have an upgraded alternator. XS power puts a watt rating on the batteries (not sure the formula they use) but they rate each D3400 as capable of supporting 4k watts, so according to their ratings you should be fine with a pair on 4k watts.

I would go with a pair of 12's over 4 8's myself, as the pair of 12's has more cone area. Here is a basic measurement of what each subs cone area is, give or take a little depending on the exact woofer. 

One 8" = 50.2

One 10" = 78.5

One 12" = 113.1

One 15" = 176.7

One 18" = 254.4

So if you do 4 8's - you're at 200.8. If you do 2 12's, you're are 226.2.

You don't want to leave the stock battery in there with the XS powers. Your stocker is probably a typical lead acid and the XS power are AGM type, they don't mix well. I would just go with those 2 for now, I think they should do ok especially once you have an upgraded alternator. XS power puts a watt rating on the batteries (not sure the formula they use) but they rate each D3400 as capable of supporting 4k watts, so according to their ratings you should be fine with a pair on 4k watts.

I would go with a pair of 12's over 4 8's myself, as the pair of 12's has more cone area. Here is a basic measurement of what each subs cone area is, give or take a little depending on the exact woofer. 

One 8" = 50.2

One 10" = 78.5

One 12" = 113.1

One 15" = 176.7

One 18" = 254.4

So if you do 4 8's - you're at 200.8. If you do 2 12's, you're are 226.2.

Thanks man appreciated

So I am looking at running 2 bc2000 amps strapped on 2 12 subs. I read a post earlier today and cannot find it now about ohms with the subs and how it changes due to the guy had strapped amps.

More Basic questions needing understanding before purchase.

Which ohm should I choose for my subs 1 0r 2 ohm? What will the different outputs change to due to me strapping them?

I am looking at making bus bars. I have seen some from a guy everyone calls toolmaker. If I choose to make my own, Aluminum should be sufficient for this correct?

I have not found any reason why I shouldn't. Most of what I read states just that the aluminum is less durable and doesn't rust say if I went with steel. thoughts?

On the sub ohm question I just wanted to make sure I understand it correctly before I order. With what I have learned I was looking at ordering the 2 ohm models and running them in parallel/parallel to get .5 ohm. But I believe this may be incorrect with some more reading.

My plan was to run the two subs off of both amps strapped together so that one power unit would control both subs in the common chamber enclosure. This way I didn't have to gain match each amp so they wouldn't cancel each other out with different power being applied during use.

Hope I explained that correct.

I can't really speak on the bus bars as I've never made them, always just done cables. You could surely make your own though, toolmaker just has nice looking stuff so I think that is why people use him a lot.

As for the subs and load. You want a 2 ohm final load on the pair when strapping, so each amp sees 1 ohm. If you're buying DVC subs this means you want Dual 2 ohm subs in order to acheive the final load of 2 ohms for the amps to see. You would just wire each sub to a 4 ohm load (dual 2 ohm coils wired in series) then parallell them together and you've got 2 ohms. You could also wire each subs coils in parallel down to 1 ohm then series subs together for a 2 ohm final load. If you paralleled it all together you'd have a .5 ohm final load, so each amp would only see .25 ohms which is no good.

If you're buying single coil subs you want 1 or 4 ohm subs, if you used 1 ohm subs you would series them together for a 2 ohm load that the amps will see. If you buy 4 ohm single coil subs you would parallel them down to a 2 ohm load.

Edited by Polish

I can't really speak on the bus bars as I've never made them, always just done cables. You could surely make your own though, toolmaker just has nice looking stuff so I think that is why people use him a lot.

As for the subs and load. You want a 2 ohm final load on the pair when strapping, so each amp sees 1 ohm. If you're buying DVC subs this means you want Dual 2 ohm subs in order to acheive the final load of 2 ohms for the amps to see. You would just wire each sub to a 4 ohm load (dual 2 ohm coils wired in series) then parallell them together and you've got 2 ohms. You could also wire each subs coils in parallel down to 1 ohm then series subs together for a 2 ohm final load. If you paralleled it all together you'd have a .5 ohm final load, so each amp would only see .25 ohms which is no good.

If you're buying single coil subs you want 1 or 4 ohm subs, if you used 1 ohm subs you would series them together for a 2 ohm load that the amps will see. If you buy 4 ohm single coil subs you would parallel them down to a 2 ohm load.

That is great. I ask such simple questions compared to some on this site yet someone always is kind enough to answer them for me. Thanks man much appreciated.

Was thinking about xcons in a sealed box any thoughts

they work in all boxes and do great in sealed box. What's your overall goal of the system, that besides space available and listening preference will determine what you in an enclosure.

they work in all boxes and do great in sealed box. What's your overall goal of the system, that besides space available and listening preference will determine what you in an enclosure.

If I went sealed 5cuft is the largest enclosure I can build. I have been looking at building a ported enclsore and I have been able to make the box large just in two peices to finish assembly in trunk. which would give me around 5 cuft net for my ported enclosure.

I currently have been listening to alot rap/hip hop, altered music, dubstep music. Anything to make the current single twelve boom. (it doesnt do it very well) it is in a sealed enclosure. I added poly fill to it and sounded better, just not really the loud take your breath away type of bass I am after.

Looking at 2 Zcon 12's D2

2 bc2000D's strapped for power

2 d3400 batts(one trunk one upfront)

270amp alt

big 3

2 1/0 runs

Trunk location, forward speaker and port firing.

ALSO

I am looking at my enclosure design and If i go with the 7" wide port i will have 16.39 insq'd of port area tuned to 32.8 hrtz.

I have been thinking about changing my port with to 6.25 and keeping the same length to get closer to 30 hrtz on my box tuing but It shrinks my port area to 14.09 insq'd. From the articles I have read Most people when they post there setups the regulars will point out they could use more port for the set up.

Looking to find out if most agree with trying to keep as much port area as possible?

With the change in my enclosure would this still be suffiecient space?

I have a question on my front baffle as well. If I double baffle and use the outer to recess my sub. should I still double layer the baffle I attach my sub too? and still use the outer for my recess look.

If I missed some information sorry. I will just have to add later.

Edited by Dexter Chaos

Starting my box build

IMG_0692_zps497a2112.jpg

IMG_0693_zps8d556991.jpg

All cut

IMG_0694_zps6df04d25.jpg

Port

IMG_0696_zps582cf26c.jpg

front of port. Board on left is not attached yet just using it for support

IMG_0697_zps71d25c96.jpg

This is the guys car I work for on the weekends at the race track. Just thought I would share.

IMG_0682_zpsfbf2e92f.jpg

IMG_0681_zps02c01abc.jpg

Was finally able to get second zcon ordered tonight! Now to wait for them to arrive. I was able to get aq comp set and ppi 900x4 to run it. I know I didn't need 4 channels but its nice to have it there for the future. Will start with install on comp set next and amp install. I will post pics once I get started. Think I will put tweeters in pillars just never done that type of install. Not sure what to cover it with?

Well a short update I have received both of my z cons. These things are in real in person. I am blown away by them. I got my pioneer 880 also. Have ordered my alternator just waiting for it to arrive. Once it gets here I will install it when I have time. Then its the d3400 up front. Still need to get amp and batts for trunk but that will get ordered soon hopefully. So pumped to hear the z cons.

Temperary setup until I get everything is a gcon 12 I got off of tire fire running it on my jl jx500/1 amp.

Those zcons are true beasts. But damn that Maserati is my ultimate dream car. I would love to just sit in at least lol

Just spoke with Mike from Singer alternators. What a great guy. Had a back order of parts and he contacted me several times with updates. I would recommend anyone to do business with him. What great customer service. Can't wait to get my alternator this next week. Getting closer to finally getting everything installed. Still have a few more parts and peices to buy.

Updated pictures?

Updated pictures?

Nothing really to show. Had to slow my build down  a bit.  I did get my box assembled but not completely finished.  I will post some time to complete more.

I have an electrical question. I am planning on purchasing a sundown 3500 to run my 2 z cons. I currently have no data to go off of to deteremine what I specifically need.

This is what I already have:

Singer 270amp alt (when checked before it left mike he said it would do 300+)

1-XS D3400 under hood

Looking to purchase:

1-XS D7500 or 2-XS XD3000 batteries.

Can someone give me some insight  if either of these choices would be more beneficial for  me. I have multiple runs of 1/0 run to rear of car & will ground in rear of car and run a ground to front. Or just choose one and be ok with it. This is probably a silly question.

Been busy that last couple weeks

finished wire runs, installed batts, box install, wire connections after connections, box install, and amp install

have alot of clean up and fit a finish to do but just had to get it playing.  after running a Gcon for the past few months these Zcons are unbelievable. I can't describe how intense these subs get. I am truly amazed by them. 

Thanks SSA for building such an amazing Product!!!!!!bananaDance.gif 

Was able to meet up with Pork chop and a few of the IAK family. What a great group of guys. Gave me a few pointers but really just did alot of listening. Chop had brought a meter and got to do some testing. Unoffical first test with a meter. I am pretty please sealed on window did a 142. drivers door slightly open 147. My goal when I started was 150. I am super pumped just need to keep working.

wheres the pictures??