ilovebass23

My subwoofer arrived broken

the other day I shipped an amp out to someone in my own box. the lady at the ups store asked me if my box and the contents inside could survive a 6 foot drop so I could only imagine what they do

sigh.gif

Delivering on time is more important then delivering  undamaged!

Everybody should have to work for fedex or ups for a week and then they will understand why this happens!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by pmureika

FedEx is the best of the 3. USPS UPS FedEx.

I shipped a PS3 wrapped in bubble and foam.. and the recipient said the box arrived with a 4-5" hole in the corner of it. As if it was dropped on it corner several times, got wet, then ripped up. UPS is the worst company to use. ALWAYS use the highest shipping insurance..and make sure you read the rules on how to package using them b/c there's specific clearance levels that you have to be within on the interior of the pkg to be accpeted by there insurance claims. Its a hassle.

Well this is where i am so far. I called fed ex and they said that since my package was not put into a fed ex shipping box, it was not shipped the proper way. This means if fed ex takes the blame the most they will give me is $100. I paid $290 for my sub, so i would be out $ 190 and no sub. That iskthe only option they gave me. i even spoke to a manager and she told me that was my only opion since FI doesnt use their boxes. And i emailed nick, and he got back with me a couple days ago, but have heard nothing back since then. I'm not sure if i'm going to get screwed, or if FI will just give me a new sub since they do not pack their items correctly(according to fed ex). All i want is my ssd 18 in brand new condition. I dont care if it takes another month to rebuild. I payed 300 dollars and waited over a month for my sub. Just a quaetion but are like packing peanuts or something to put in your box really that expensive? or does it cost more to put a fragile sticker on it? i would pay an extra 20 bucks to have my 300 dollar subwoofer protected a little bit better. If anyone knows of any other suggestions or anything I can do to make sure i get what i paid and waited for, please let me know! Thanks!

Look into the rules and regulations on how to perform an insurance claim with FedEx. Dont call and ask them, do it on your own. I know when I claimed insurance w/ UPS (when they damaged my AGM battery) some of the things you had to have (and im going off memory) was: a certified box that was regulated to hold that amount of weight, 2-3" padding around, less than 1" space between box and item inside (after padding) and stuff like that. Make sure you read ALL of the rules. Then take pictures of how the sub was packaged correctly. And if it wasnt, maybe Nick and FI could send you some pictures of one that IS packaged correctly. Then you could open that claim and possible help FI helf you get a sub replaced w/o having FI or yourself pay out of pocket. It may take a few weeks, but if your determined then go for it.

If they abuse packages that bad then yeah I would pay to have it shipped in a crate. I would tell FI that right now, sned me a new sub and ill pay to have it sent in a crate. done deal. I honestly doubt that the one piece of foam on the magnet and the four pieces around the edge of the cone are going to protect it much. But okay. The outside of the box wasn't that bad really, I would judt day it was thrown or dropped sideways and broke it then.

I have received over a dozen subs packaged like that from ups and never had a problem with any damage.

Yea I know you're probably really disappointed, but this is probably a very very slim fluke that rarely happens to Fi subs.

I know my SSD 18 came in perfect condition when I received it. Still have the box too, same as what you received. It was not sideways though.

This was like 4 years ago though. The subs changed a bit but shipping shouldn't be any different. This is all on the FedEx, not Fi.

Edited by hatrix

I got ahold of Nick again today and the claim process has started. I think they are going to take care of it. If they do, then yes, I will continue to buy products from them. I just cant wait to hear this b!tch beat!

Oh yea my SSD is very loud on an SAX-1200D. I'm getting another one soon so I can run two 18s :D

You'll be pleased I'm sure once all is rectified.

That's awesome man. I'm putting mine in a eclipse. I had a shop down here build my box. I don't have enough trunk space for a ported box, so he used some box building program and put all the specs in to I guess get the perfect box. Its 4.6 cubes. all 1 in mdf. I haven't seen anyone use a sealed box with the ssd 18 but I really hope it slams. im using a 1400 watt hifonics amp, all 2 gauge wire. I'm so pumped!

Well I must say, it's not recommended on the Fi website to use the 18" version in a sealed enclosure. You might be better off with a 10, 12 or 15 (I think the 15 has sealed specs, I may be wrong).

The recommended net volume is 6-10 cubic feet, and that's ported. It may still sound good. I honestly have no idea, but work with what you got. Ported enclosures are always going to be the box you want if your desire is SPL. Sealed will give beater SQ though.

If you aren't pleased with the output, you know you have other options:

Go with a smaller size SSD which is possible with a recone and a smaller basket.

or

Somehow design a ported box that would fit but I'm doubtful you'd get enough cubic feet in your car for an 18.

I drive a jeep so I have no problem fitting a single 18 ported, even when I had it in a 9 cubic foot box. Hopefully I can fit two of them without having to put my back seat down! Probably looking around 14 cubes or so ported. Maybe I can get away with 12.

Edited by hatrix

Nick was extremely helpful. Fed Ex pick up my package from my house, delivered it to FI, and Fi sent it back out yesterday. I should be getting the on the 9th. Lets pray Fed Ex didn't drop it off a cliff this time...

Hope it makes it one piece this time man!

Keep in touch, let us know!

The sub arrived okay I believe. They packaged it a lot better this time. I know I just bought the SSD and it sounds amazing. It hits the lows like I've never heard, all in a sealed box. After everything that happened I will be purchasing another sub from FI. I'm going to order the bl 18. I just wish I could feed this thing a bit more power. For the money the ssd 18 is awesome, I just want a little bit more.

Put the SSD in a ported enclosure instead of buying another sub first...a BL will have to go in a ported enclosure if you step up to it anyhow.

Put the SSD in a ported enclosure instead of buying another sub first...a BL will have to go in a ported enclosure if you step up to it anyhow.

Yup, if you are just looking for a "little more" a ported enclosure should make you happy. Assuming you have enough room for one.

I don't is the problem. Honestly, if I just build a ported box that I could put In the back seat of my eclipse would that make a big difference. And yeah the guy who built it for me told me sealed was better, but I can only run like 800 watts, then its way past its execution point and starts to distort, and I cant stand that. My goal is loud and clear bass, I don't care about how much flex I have, or hair tricks, I want my bass deep, and loud, even if it is just in my car and doesn't carry. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Edited by ilovebass23

I don't is the problem. Honestly, if I just build a ported box that I could put In the back seat of my eclipse would that make a big difference. And yeah the guy who built it for me told me sealed was better, but I can only run like 800 watts, then its way past its execution point and starts to distort, and I cant stand that. My goal is loud and clear bass, I don't care about how much flex I have, or hair tricks, I want my bass deep, and loud, even if it is just in my car and doesn't carry. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks

First of all, Sealed is purely for SQ. that's the only reason really that you would use it, besides space restrictions and extended frequency response. Neither are better, they just have different goals. If your looking for loud and like the lows, get a ported box. Also the SSD can take more then 800w, if you are getting distortion its the amp.

A ported enclosure will be considerably louder and can sound just as good. How do you know that it is getting 800 watts?

As mentioned there's something else going on if you're getting distortion..probably clipping the amp, bass boost on etc.

Many people way a great deal more than 800 watts on an SSD and have no issues..some run less and have nothing but problems

you may have to have a ported enclosure built inside the trunk if you do not think you can slide one in there.

And whoever told you you needed a sealed enclosure based on what you told us is either biased or completely misunderstood your goals for 2 reasons-

1- he just wants money

2- he isn't intelligent in this hobby.

He had my amp set around 800 watts due to the fact of me wanting to break it in. Its not distorted necessarily, just doesn't seem like it should be flexing that far for the output im getting, he set my amp up for me, ssf is 28 htz I believe if that help any, im running no bass boost. I don't believe it my amp, but it could be. if I hook up my old Rockford fosegate 15 t2 it's louder and a lot clearer, just doesn't hit the lows as well as id like it to. I just don't want to pay him another $200 for a box that's going to do the same thing if its something not being tuned right. lease let me know if you need more info or what you think I should try. Thanks

what should I have all my settings tuned to?

There are no tunings or anything on a sealed box..it is what it is.

Subsonic is irrelevant, there's no port for you to drop below the tuning frequency on. Are you running an aftermarket headunit? How did he "set" the amp to do "800 watts"?

How big is the sealed box?