Sign in to follow this  
EPerez

Thinking About Getting An AR-15? Advice?

So I've been going over the idea of getting an AR-15. I have a remington 870 and have been shooting my parents guns all my life (AkK-47, SKS, Ruger .44, shit ton of shotguns and handguns lol) so I do know how to use a gun properly and with safety. I sort of got the okay from my mom and stepdad to get one, but like with anything I buy I always do plenty of research.

I'm 19 and the 870 was passed down by my dad, so this would be the first gun I actually buy myself. My stepdad and dad will surely help me find the rifle for me, but they have never bought one or really looked into it so they don't know much like me. Although my dad was in the Marines, so he knows the gun.

Is there any specific brands I should stay away from? I know people will say this and that brand is the best, but I'm sure most of it is subjective (like car audio). I have been doing some research and found that Colt, LMT, BMC, and Windham Weaponry (WW) were said to be high quality ones (with other brands I didn't mention). The 2 I have really been eyeballing is the Colt and WW.

Also many people were saying to build your own. They said it would be cheaper since your not actually buying the whole gun pre-assembled. I really want to learn how the gun works and know how to take it apart and put it back together without thinking. I will treat this like a baby.

My use for the gun will be for varmits behind my dad's house along with the normal target and plinking (at around 300 yards max I guess). People were saying to get a 16" barrel for that.

I am not really sure the budget I have since I want to get a quality one and do it right the first time. If it means I have to save a few more weeks or whatever I will.

So if anyone owns an AR-15 and has any advice on what to get or what to look for it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Do you need it? Then you must be trained and ready to use it in the right situation! I myself don't think you need it. 

First question would be why a .223 over other rounds avaliable.

dpms arms makes a nice rifle

Saw those and yes some say they are.

Price point?

I just sold a bunch of car audio stuff so about $1000 as of now. I do still have more to sell so I would have more though if needed.

Do you need it? Then you must be trained and ready to use it in the right situation! I myself don't think you need it. 

Obviously I don't NEED it, but to me it would be something I would enjoy a lot. I really like shooting and have the property to go hunting for small game. I will not just shoot to kill. My dad taugh me that if I want to kill an animal I have to eat it.

First question would be why a .223 over other rounds avaliable.

Not sure exactly why, but I've always like the AR-15. I've never shot one though. Me and my dad are going to cabelas tonight to look at them and talk to the people that work there. Maybe tomorrow we will go to a gun shop where they have them. I want to shoot it before I buy it to make sure I do like it.

>Price point?

I just sold a bunch of car audio stuff so about $1000 as of now. I do still have more to sell so I would have more though if needed.

Obviously I don't NEED it, but to me it would be something I would enjoy a lot. I really like shooting and have the property to go hunting for small game. I will not just shoot to kill. My dad taugh me that if I want to kill an animal I have to eat it.

Where is the property located?

You don't need amps or speakers and might hurt yourself and others. Probably don't know how to properly calibrate them to the highest level of standards either so you shouldn't get them.

Come on man, don't be so rude to people. You wouldn't want to be talked to like that would you?

>Price point?

Where is the property located?

Where do you live?

Crimeny, relax

Near Monroe. The actual town my dad lives in is Maybee. It's between Dundee/Milan and Monroe. We have 20 acres of my dad and grandfather's property next to each other. We hunt rabbits, squirels and deer. We have our own shooting range too. We've been doing it for years and we are good friends with the neighbors. They don't mind.

Nvm. I swore I saw that caliber listed.

The only tactical grade weapons I own are made by McMillan. Im sure way above ur price point. And I don't have any Ar's as I don't have the need for a compact framed rifle.

The Ar is designed for close quartered combat situations. So unless you want it bc it looks cool then it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

You don't need amps or speakers and might hurt yourself and others. Probably don't know how to properly calibrate them to the highest level of standards either so you shouldn't get them.

Come on man, don't be so rude to people. You wouldn't want to be talked to like that would you?

I am just saying what is he going to use it for and does it need to be a ar-15. Smaller calibers can do the same job.

It's fine. I can see where he's coming from. There are stupid people out there that don't know how to use it and can kill themselves or others. I do have my hunter's saftey permit and have been shooting all types of guns since I was 9. I'm not a first time shooter. I didn't take any offense to that btw! :)

I am just saying what is he going to use it for and does it need to be a ar-15. Smaller calibers can do the same job.

The at cones in many calibers. Even 22. AR is just the style "frame"

An AR-15 is neither a high power rifle nor a large caliber rifle.

If you are set on .223 and the AR platform, Bushmaster is fine as is Armalite.

I feel that DPMS makes a better entry level product, but that is a bit subjective. If JP does work with .223 they would be a great system to look into.

Buying a brownells catalog for AR platform rifles might be something useful to browse to see the billion different configurations you can start with. Sky is the limit.

If you want to hunt anything bigger, maybe an AR-10 that fires .308 might be a better option. Still the platform you are keen to, but a more versatile round, and if you decide to upgrade to a better cartridge like the 6.5 CM or .260 you will have a receiver capable of doing it.

You could even get several uppers and switch them out and have a variety of cartridges to choose from.

Although it can be modified to shoot large caliber rifle rounds if so desired.

If you want to hunt anything bigger, maybe an AR-10 that fires .308 might be a better option. Still the platform you are keen to, but a more versatile round, and if you decide to upgrade to a better cartridge like the 6.5 CM or .260 you will have a receiver capable of doing it.

Also .243 Winchester, probably the most popular deer cartridge in the US.

Just got into class I will reply as soon as I get out!

The standard .223 is an excellent varmint round.

According to the law you can't use a rifle for hunting in Monroe county.They must be shot guns.I live in kalamazoo county and you can't use rifles to hunt. you need to go further north where it is legal.

Edited by pmureika

The at cones in many calibers. Even 22. AR is just the style "frame"

This and what Peng said is what I couldn't understand. The AR platform isn't my ideal choice, but because of it's modular design and insane abundance of parts it is a good option.

Some of the best parts about AR platforms is you can go from semi auto to "bolt like action" by using an adjustable gas block.

Nice convertable option. When I get my AR-10 worked on I plan on getting a gas block for it and maybe a 6.5 CM upper. Something to match what ever bolt action I build.

Good thing about an AR is you don't have to buy an entire rifle. You can buy it piece by piece over time as money allows. Try lurking around AR-15.com for a while, you'll learn a lot.

this