Sign in to follow this  
EPerez

Thinking About Getting An AR-15? Advice?

What is a thread doing about a ar-15 doing on a audio forum?

Don't worry about it and move along. No need to keep dumping in the thread and derailing it.

I'd like to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Also I would use it to kill the raccoons and possumes that try to get into the chicken coops.

you'd be good with a 22 magnum or a .17 cal  I use Hornady v-max

=259&categoryid[]=&categoryid[]=375&x=30&y=8]http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=250&categoryid[]=259&categoryid[]=&categoryid[]=375&x=30&y=8

It's something about owning the AR that makes me want it. The others just aren't the AR lol

I'd like to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Also I would use it to kill the raccoons and possumes that try to get into the chicken coops.

You can use one , but check with your local laws. Just don't try to shoot a a deer with one!

Yea I know I would use it on a deer.

Okk I don't want a start up a huge fight of where you can shoot and not. I can and have shot on my property for years. So that's not a concern of mine if I can or not. We will gut and cook our kills no matter what gun I will use. I am not going to use the .223 for deer hunting since it seems more ineffective compared to my shotgun. Also it would most likely just wound it and then lose it. If I feel the need to shoot deer with an AR-15 then I will get a new upper for a .308

Unfortunately an AR -15 cannot handle the .308 uppers. The reverse is also true unless someone recently made a new change. You basically can have a rifle that uses the bolt face from the .223 or the .308. Not both.

Does that make sense?

I may not be explaining it in a good way....

I get what your sayin but I thought you could get that. Hmm maybe it was another caliber like that.

So yea I thought it could of been modified somehow to make it accept different calibers.

What is a thread doing about a ar-15 doing on a audio forum?

That's why I put it in the off topic section. If you have nothing to add can you please just stay out of this thread. Thank you.

So really any AR-15 will be good in quality? I think that's what I read.

I do t think you fully understand what an AR is. It is not a caliber. It is a type of chassis. Just like an SUV is a type of vehicle.

Yes, there is a 22 AR. Colt makes one as well as others.

It makes no sense using a big game round on a raccoon or possum. It's akind to using a 50 cal on a white tail.

I do t think you fully understand what an AR is. It is not a caliber. It is a type of chassis. Just like an SUV is a type of vehicle.

Yes, there is a 22 AR. Colt makes one as well as others.

It makes no sense using a big game round on a raccoon or possum. It's akind to using a 50 cal on a white tail.

No the AR-15 I'm talking about uses a .223/5.56mm. I'm not sure exactly how but you can change the upper(I think) to something else and it can use different caliber rounds right?

Well it's like buying a v8 mustang instead of a v6. You don't need the bigger motor but it's nice to have it though right?

WOW.

WOW.

What?

It sounds like you just want a military gun that looks cool and that's fine I understand that but if you are really looking to shoot a lot and are going to be shooting only varmit I'd do a 22 AR as bullets will be 10 times cheaper.

It sounds like you just want a military gun that looks cool and that's fine I understand that but if you are really looking to shoot a lot and are going to be shooting only varmit I'd do a 22 AR as bullets will be 10 times cheaper.

Ohh hell yea it would be a lot cheaper but I guess that you can say that. I wouldn't be shooting that much. Only at my dads occasionally.

WOW.

What?

i just read all 6 pages.. thats why i said wow.. it went all over the damn place. lol and people have some whacked out views lol good luck with your gun.. just be responsible !:D

WOW.

What?

i just read all 6 pages.. thats why i said wow.. it went all over the damn place. lol and people have some whacked out views lol good luck with your gun.. just be responsible !:D

Ohh gotcha lol trust me ill be responsible. I don't want to be one of those guys that ruins it for everybody!

If that's all then I would personally get one in 243 as it is still a popular enough round that it is cheap and easily avaliable since a lot people use it for white tail and I doubt the 223 has the knock down power the 243 has out to 100-150 yards (could be wrong) and since most people are getting 223 I'd assume the rounds are harder and more expensive to buy, I'd check the market first.

Ar 15 platform can be modular from .22 - .50BMG.

A 50BMG will not feet through a .223 receiver.

Don't confuse the OP.

Ill look into the 243 when I go to cabelas tomorrow morning.

I don't want a bunch of accessories on it at first. I want to use the rifle with no bit scopes or anything first and appreciate the rifle first learning to shoot it first. Then I will add accessories later.

If you don't already have it I HIGHLY recommend doing a hunter safety course.

.300 blk would be Fucking sweeeeeeeeeeet.

That would be the AR-15 of my choice.

Edited by dem beats

If you don't already have it I HIGHLY recommend doing a hunter safety course.

No I already did it and have been shooting since I was 9 with all types of guns. I meant like appreciate the gun for itself not the accessories .

.300 blk would be Fucking sweeeeeeeeeeet.

That would be the AR-15 of my choice.

Ill check out both of those options too thanks man!

If that's all then I would personally get one in 243 as it is still a popular enough round that it is cheap and easily avaliable since a lot people use it for white tail and I doubt the 223 has the knock down power the 243 has out to 100-150 yards (could be wrong) and since most people are getting 223 I'd assume the rounds are harder and more expensive to buy, I'd check the market first.

Like this? That's one sexy rifle!

http://www.impactguns.com/dpms-ar-15-243-20-inch-heavy-barrel-19rd-mags-lr-243-884451000280.aspx

Edited by Bassink

id look into the M&P-15s or Daniel's Defense. if your being talked out of 5.56 then .300 blk is pretty sweet. just a .308 cal in a 5.56 cutdown casing.

Like this? That's one sexy rifle!

http://www.impactguns.com/dpms-ar-15-243-20-inch-heavy-barrel-19rd-mags-lr-243-884451000280.aspx

Well yea, you will find that all manufacturers will put their own flare on the AR frame. Kinda like ford or Chevy. It's whatever tickles your fancy. But if course some are built better than others just like anything else.