GM959808

Box/Sub advice for 95 Ext. cab Silverado

I have a 95 extended cab Silverado that I want to put a decent sounding system in. Nothing radical, just decent. The enclosure will be going under the back seat and the best i can figure I will only have ~2 cu ft to work with. The box could be 60"+ long but only ~14" deep and 4"(back) x9"(front) tall with a considerable section (21") that would be much more shallow across the hump.

I was pretty discouraged when i measured my dimensions. I don't think i can raise the seat as it's mounted to the sides of the cab. My options are wide open. I am willing to do anything from 8s to a single 12" (doubtful). I'm not sure I can make a ported design work but I guess it's possible.

Any advice or suggestions?

One other option that I'm VERY unsure of is a pass through from the bed. Any opinions from people who have done this on how it affects the structural integrity of the cab? Resale value? Does it make the back of the cab rattle more?

ill suggest this to you ,

http://www.supercrewsound.com/88ChevyECdual.html

this company is based in VA, and all the boxes are hand made in FL,

they are clean and based in the USA. take all the guess work out,, and your not looking for any outrageous results so two simple 10's should be plenty,

now you just need to start shopping for subs based on depth and goals. im doing a a build currently with these boxs, i went with the sundown SD-2 10s

SD-2 10s are what I was looking at. You think they would work better than 8s in that enslosure? Would the 8s or 10s have a better range? I thought i could squeeze a few extra cubes out if i built my own box but I'm unsure and it would be a pain to build so I may go with that box. Let me know how your build goes if it isn't too much trouble.

This is the amp I'm looking at....

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43837_Precision-Power-PPI-BK1300.1D.html

My last couple of systems have been seriously lacking in the low bass department (seems like I'm always trying to make something fit in a truck, previously single cab) and I wanted more from this build, not sure now that I'm gonna get it. Maybe the extra size of the extended cab will make me happier with the sound.

Thanks for the help

well for the SD 10s that box is a tad too large.. the Sd 10s call for .5 sealed each.. and this box is .75 each.. so.. you could run less power. or fill some volume with expanding foam ....

i would shop around for a better used amp.

Do you have the bucket seats or the 60 / 40 seats ?? Thinking you might would be happier wit a center console style enclosure ...

I was NEVER satisfied with my "under the rear seat enclosure" ... Think it was installed for about 3 days before we decided to cut th back wall on my 97 Chevy...

Ok. I was thinking the .5 for the SD-2 10 was minimum, not optimum. 

What amp would be recommended? I've seen on other forums the "off brand" cheaper amps get high recommendations. Is the reason you wouldn't go with the PPI amp (or say a hifonics, something along those lines) a reliability issue or performance issue?

Do you have the bucket seats or the 60 / 40 seats ?? Thinking you might would be happier wit a center console style enclosure ... I was NEVER satisfied with my "under the rear seat enclosure" ... Think it was installed for about 3 days before we decided to cut th back wall on my 97 Chevy...

I have the bucket seats. Thought about the console style. Think a single 10 in a console style, ported, would be way better than two 10s sealed under the seat? I haven't been happy with my previous truck boxes at all and don't really want to go down that road again.

Tell me more about cutting the back wall. How it affected the vehicle, how difficult it was, etc.

Do you have the bucket seats or the 60 / 40 seats ?? Thinking you might would be happier wit a center console style enclosure ... I was NEVER satisfied with my "under the rear seat enclosure" ... Think it was installed for about 3 days before we decided to cut th back wall on my 97 Chevy...

I have the bucket seats. Thought about the console style. Think a single 10 in a console style, ported, would be way better than two 10s sealed under the seat? I haven't been happy with my previous truck boxes at all and don't really want to go down that road again.

Tell me more about cutting the back wall. How it affected the vehicle, how difficult it was, etc.

Center console ... We have a few on our team. A single downfire / port forward enclosure ... A single Isoberic front fire / port forward enclosure ... And a dual chambered pair of 8s side fire / ports forward enclosure ... They are all fairly low tuned for SQ and sound great !!! Guess the possibilities are endless there ...

As for the cut through ... A LOT of work, add a bed cover, and keep all of your room in your cab. When built and installed correctly, works like a champ !!! Just takes of room in your bed if you are willing to give some up ...

Personally I wouldn't consider a cut through unless you are planning to run something like 4 10s or better ... Just saying

Edited by Cablguy184

console sounds fun!

Center console ... We have a few on our team. A single downfire / port forward enclosure ... A single Isoberic front fire / port forward enclosure ... And a dual chambered pair of 8s side fire / ports forward enclosure ... They are all fairly low tuned for SQ and sound great !!! Guess the possibilities are endless there ...

As for the cut through ... A LOT of work, add a bed cover, and keep all of your room in your cab. When built and installed correctly, works like a champ !!! Just takes of room in your bed if you are willing to give some up ...

Personally I wouldn't consider a cut through unless you are planning to run something like 4 10s or better ... Just saying

Well if I went with a cut through I've thought about anything from 4 10s, 2 12s, 4 12s or even 2 15s. I kinda doubt i will go that route.

So the center console type system should give me FULL range of sound? That is my biggest concern. My previous 2 10s in a sealed box setups didn't have the lows that I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I want it to hit hard too, just sound quality is more important.

Where could I get the box designed/built? I'm decent with woodworking but I don't think i would be happy with a standard mdf looking enclosure for my console. I would want it to look nice.

Edited by GM959808

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Full Range Sound" .. But a well built ported and tuned enclosure should do the trick for 70 htz and below on a 12 db slope ..

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Full Range Sound" .. But a well built ported and tuned enclosure should do the trick for 70 htz and below on a 12 db slope ..

That's what I mean. My previous systems haven't had that low, booming bass that I want. Probably in the 45hz and below range.

Console, underseat, won't matter if it is a good enclosure. I'd personally lean towards a sub that excels in a sealed enclosure if you are going that route.

Console, underseat, won't matter if it is a good enclosure. I'd personally lean towards a sub that excels in a sealed enclosure if you are going that route.

Why sealed if I did the console? I think I could get 2.5-3 cu ft if I extend it forward pretty far. That's unusable space up there under the dash anyway.

Why sealed if I did the console? I think I could get 2.5-3 cu ft if I extend it forward pretty far. That's unusable space up there under the dash anyway.
You connected the wrong part of my sentence although I could have used a line feed. The sealed comment was if you are going to buy a sealed enclosure, buy a sub that is optimized for the sealed enclosure. wink.png

Gotcha. I think I may build my own ported console enclosure. If I do go sealed, I was thinking Sundown SD-2. If I go ported I was looking at SAs or GCONs.

In a console enclosure, If the subs are side mounted, would it make a difference which direction the port was aimed? Single port or 2 ports?

I think I've decided to go with a console enclosure. 2 10s, ported. I'm pretty sure I can get at least 1.25 cu ft per sub.

If I face them down, how much will that affect how loud they get??

Negatory, gotta be able to haul the kiddos around

Edited by GM959808

I think I've decided to go with a console enclosure. 2 10s, ported. I'm pretty sure I can get at least 1.25 cu ft per sub.

You wont get that direct sound, if you point a driver almost at you and then point it at the ground, you can tell a difference. Different type of sound, its not super pronounced but it depends on what your looking for. If you want it to look really clean and hidden then Id say go that route, but I personally prefer the sub facing up/at you.

You wont get that direct sound, if you point a driver almost at you and then point it at the ground, you can tell a difference. Different type of sound, its not super pronounced but it depends on what your looking for. If you want it to look really clean and hidden then Id say go that route, but I personally prefer the sub facing up/at you.

The only other way I could face the subs in a console enclosure would be out towards the sides. I'm concerned they would get punctured in that configuration.