Lee Carter

01 'Zuk vs 18" xcon

This is my 1st hands on build in ~15 yrs, so go easy on me.LOL the intro is a lil long- but wanted to get the story in.  I always like readin how and why builds come about.

My son/s and I will be tackling a 18" xcon install in my 01 Grand Vitara, referenced to as 'Zuk for short.  I bought this lil SUV from a friend with the intentions to drive it for a bit- then hand it over to my oldest when he turns 16 (in about 16 months).  I have always had a lil bump in my cars, so it was inevitable that it happen to the Zuk.  Alway ran typical box store systems, Alpine, Kicker, Etc.  Just started to learn about SSA, Fi, Crescedo, etc about a 6-7 months ago- when I bought my Suburban- and started thinking bout 18's for it.  I mean my Passat has a Kicker IX1000 and 2 15's and I thought it was pretty bad ass til i learned about this stuff.  Been lurking here for a few months- trying to absorb some knowledge, so now to step up my game.

Well-  Bout 2 months ago my son asked if we could boom the Zuk.  I happened to have some 10" GS Reds in my attic that I've had for a decade, and bought a soundstream 4 channel to drive them (thinking I'd use it for my mids amp in the Burb eventually).  Bought a Ground Shaker box of an online car stereo site(wink). and a Scosche amp kit from wally world.  My boy and I installed it all...bumps pretty decent.

Forward to now.  Was planning to swap the GS 10's out for some SA's or Dcons, so I was on the lookout for a mono amp to drive them, and saw 'W140' selling a Skar 1500.  Not my first choice with their rep round here, but I couldn't pass up the price.  Got the Amp- installed it this week here at work. (BTW I work 7/7 here in Houma LA- Live in South Alabam).  Even on the crappy 6awg wiring, and the amp turned down, and at 2 ohms, those lil 10's woke up!  Figuring the 300w max Redlines were short for this world at 1K watts, back to looking for subs.  Well 'W140' done it again...selling a 18 Xcon D1...thinking I can buy this now and find another later to do 2 in the Burb- iwe came to an agreement, so now I have a 18" Xcon on the way! 

And of course I know the wiring has to be upgraded...

Other items on the way:

75' 0awg cca wire(Executioner from Audio Technix)

20 terminals from sky high

weather tight fuse holders w/150 amp fuses

Hammer crimper for wiring

OK, so, I took measurements, and went to working with winISD and sketchup(new to both, cool stuff though) that I conned our IT guy into DL'ing onto my work computer(LOL). So, this is where I am at.  It isn't optimal- but it is ~6.5cuft, tuned to 31, ~84in of port, port is 18.5x4.5x25"long.  Gonna take the entire cargo area up to the seat back.  Going home tomorrow- Got my cut list ready for Home Depot, hopefully they'll cut the wood for me so I can fit it inside the truck. 

post-40683-0-51841500-1378192906_thumb.p

post-40683-0-15540400-1378192928_thumb.p

post-40683-0-23211300-1378193193_thumb.j

Edited by Leedogg

Ofc copper wire would be better to use then copper clad aluminum.

you said you bought the cca already.

Looking foward to the XCON install and your thoughts. :)

I figured with only about 1500 watts  CCA would do.  They(Executioner Audio) had it spec'd for 250 amps over 20'(Same as KnuKonceptz KCA)...but we all know that they can claim whatever they want to. 

Got a quote from Irragi for an Alt, gonna email Singer today.  I figure a XS2400 and a 160-200amp Alt is in its near future.  But trying to keep the costs down- I mean it is a 2500 dollar truck that I am giving to a 16 yo.LOL

Are you sure you need an HO alt for your system ?

If you want to cut the costs down, you can try to use 2 good batteries (AGM), one under the hood and eventually one in the rear. 

do the big 3 and check your voltage. It may be good enough.

Just a thought because I don't know how isd the electrical system in this car.

Good luck with the build, and keep posting pics ! We love that.

:)  :)  :)

I think a stock alternator is around 150 amps on that Suburban.

You might not have to upgrade.

Are you sure you need an HO alt for your system ?

If you want to cut the costs down, you can try to use 2 good batteries (AGM), one under the hood and eventually one in the rear. 

do the big 3 and check your voltage. It may be good enough.

Just a thought because I don't know how isd the electrical system in this car.

Good luck with the build, and keep posting pics ! We love that.

smile.png  smile.png  smile.png

No- I am not sure. The HO Alt will be decided after the install and after the battery. Not sure where I could put a second battery. The 75' of wire it to do the electrical on the Zuk, and the big three on my Passat, and maybe the 'Burb. The Zuk has a 80 amp alternator, but the voltage takes huge hits on hard bass. Iraggi qouted me about 4 bills to build a 160 amp unit. But it may just need the wiring.(fingers crossed) 

Looking foward to the XCON install and your thoughts. smile.png

Thanks Nem!

I think a stock alternator is around 150 amps on that Suburban.

You might not have to upgrade.

The plan for the Burb will be much larger scale than the Zuk.  2 18's on ~4-5K watts.  That'll be early next year.  Planning a Winch bumper and a 12K winch before the Audio for it.

definitely can't wait to see this build kick it into overdrive.  Sounds like you're one pretty awesome dad.  At your son's age I was out in the garage doing all this stuff with my dad.  Built a bunch of enclosures with my dad and loved every moment we spent together (he'd pick up sheets of mdf and we'd do all the measurements and cuts together too).  Post up more pics as they come.

Edited by nigel

Thanks Nigel-  I have 4 boys- 1 2yo, twin 6yo's, and my 14yo.  I am twice divorced, but enjoy all the time I can with them.

Got off work yesterday in Houma LA, went to Lowes, and they wouldn't cut the wood to spec- so I left there and went to the Home Depot down the street. and they hooked me up.  also bought a compressor brad nailer combo!

Somewhere in there a box is hiding.LOL

post-40683-0-51484200-1378313141_thumb.j

Also had a stash of stuff waiting for me when I made it home to Alabam.

post-40683-0-83668700-1378313193_thumb.j

The Executioner Audio Cable is pretty nice- though maybe not as thick as Knu, or Sky High.  the outer diameter of the insulation it the same size as the Sky High 1awg terminals I bought....but I believe for this build it will be fine.  May double run it Just in case(hell even then it is cheaper than 1 run of OFC 1awg).

well off to town for some other supplies.

awesome chunk of goodies there to work with.  When I was 14, my brother was 16 and getting into car audio, so together with my dad and brother we all got into it together and started using my dad's 1992 ford ranger xlt as our test vehicle.  We built and put a lot of stuff in there.  Now my dad has no feeling from the waist down and finds it really hard to do any of this stuff.  So I definitely realize how important it is to do these things with my kids and love seeing others (including you) putting in the effort to share the moments with their kids.  

keep up the progress, and pics.  Glad to see you were able to get the wood cut.  Hope you checked the cuts to make sure they were on, I know all my local hardware stores won't guarantee cuts except to withing 1/4" off (and are always off even with a digital panel saw....)

Actually- while laying some stuff out tonight- they are off slightly...like the saw wasn't exactly square. But they are off to the long side(like one side is dead on, the other ~1/8-3/16 long)- I believe I can straighten them out with a router.  I am picking up a router on lend tomorrow.  So tonight I am double checking all the wood, and marking the corrections needed.  Prolly much better than if I had made the cuts myself.LOL

had a package from CTSounds/Audio Tecknix when I got home.  Bought some more items I need.

post-40683-0-43576600-1378345837_thumb.j

an Idea on the wire thickness. 

post-40683-0-86942800-1378345859_thumb.j

I just realized how huge those pics are when you attach the using the forum tool.  I am going to upload everything to the Bucket, the host them from there to make the thread easier to read.  My Apologies.

Been a busy guy today...update coming after I eat.:)

Well worked all afternoon, but got the under hood electrical upgrade done!  Big 3 and the power lead ran to the back.  Still have to put the interior panels back on...no biggie, and hook up the Amp, and replace the Amp to ground wire.

I think I didn't give the executioner wire it proper due.  It must be true to gauge, I BARELY got it into the fuse blocks.  it is very easy to work with too....I like it.  If you don't need OFC- I highly recommend it.  I paid 70 bucks shipped for 50' of it from CTSounds.

The Sky High terminals and shrink wraps are kick ass...never spent the money to used shrink wrap...but it really cleans up the wiring.  And the lil 16 dollar hammer crimper makes good tight connections.  Maybe I'll step up to solder on my next install.

I'll get some pics of the finished product tomorrow- it was too dark for my phone to get anything good when I was done.  But here is some of the install pics from today.

2013-09-05164432.jpg

2013-09-05165842.jpg

2013-09-05171225.jpg

2013-09-05171242.jpg

Finished up the wiring today.  Put the interior trim back together.  The Big 3 definitely helped.  Voltage not dropping near as bad.  I think it looks real good too.:)

Now to get the box done....Sub will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Here are the pics from today.  Included a pic of the 15 yr old GS Redlines.  They doing work though....shake the Zuk pretty good.

2013-09-06122211.jpg

2013-09-06122323.jpg

2013-09-06122359.jpg

2013-09-06122455.jpg

Nice! :)

Thanks guys. 

Got my boys today.  Going to Harbor Frieght today to see if They have a trim router so I can get the box pieces trued up.  hopefully, We'll get some work done.:)

Today's progress!!  Gunnar(my oldest) and I got to work of the box.  All together except for the top baffle.

Pics- My lil man Max posing for one.LOL

2013-09-07155421.jpg

2013-09-07181350.jpg

2013-09-07183404.jpg

2013-09-07183421.jpg

Now I need a circle jig.  Hate to use a jigsaw- but I may have to.

Little helpers :woot:

Yeah, the 6yos slow you down- but they just wanna help.  My 14 yo though,  I put him to work.LOL  In the 2rd pic- he it sweeping up the floor after we picked up the drop plastic.

Never did make it to HF though- my moms b/f loaned me his router. 

One thing this has learned me- is that I better place, and a lot more tools, to do this kind of work.LOL  But we are getting there.

the progress is looking awesome.  And even though they slow you down, working with the kids is a lot of fun too.  Keep up the good work.

Well a little update-

Sub arrived today- easily the most impressive piece of audio equipment I have ever owned.  Pics don't do these Subs justice.  The box looked HUGE sitting on out table until I set the sub on it. DANNNG!

Got the holes cut for the box and the top baffle done and on.  the last pic is the sub and tool box are provide some press weight.

Some pics-

2013-09-09192528.jpg

2013-09-09192712.jpg

2013-09-09192726.jpg

2013-09-09225241.jpg

I guess tomorrow- We'll see if I resist the urge to throw it in the Zuk, for the ride to work this week uncarpeted.LOL

Looks great! I am waiting on a Xcon at the moment, built an 7.65q enclosure for it. It is the optimal enclosure from the websites recomendations. I believe it says it is tuned around 27- 31hz. I feel ya about owning the off the shelf subs, my old set up was 2 Type-r's. Sold those so I could get an 18". I am also contiplating a second down the rhoad. Im tuned in.popcorn.gif 

For some reason 18" subs don't photograph well. Things are monsters but pictures never do justice. Nice sub and install!!

joe79- After hearing mine for the first time tonight- you will not be disappointed.

Smashedz28- I know right...The magnet it about as big as 1 on my GS 10" woofers....then you have the reast of the sub.LOL 

UPDATE:

Man- the past couple days have been something else. 

Yesterday - Got it fit into the Zuk.  Tight fit- but it  was supposed to be.  I can honestly say I made the most of the space available.  Wired up the amp backwards in a hurry...I just wasn't thinking at all.  Went to hook up the power lead, and ofcourse it arc'ed.  I was like WTF? and realized what I done. Fixed it.  Hooking the power leads of again and where it arc'ed on the lug, the nut seized up. Tryed working it back and forth, stripped out the bolt on the lead lug....destroyed the lug working the bolt out- as I had to get on the road to work.  Once I got it out I was able to break the bolt and tape up the leads for the drive to work.  On the upside- got to work, and my SK 85.4 was sitting in my quarters waiting on me.  I ordered Distribution blocks and wire to hook it up today.  Will get it mounted on the box tomorrow.

Today- after I got off- I when to AutoZone and bought some 2 and 4 gauge 3/8" terminals, and utilized a terminal with a post.  Cut the + battery terminal off(stock and already was cracked), and found that the 1/0 terminals I had fit the factory wires perfect.  The trip to AZ was for nothing.LOL Crimped, taped, installed along with the Audio wires.  Finally. BOOM.

Took a lil ride to dial it in some....All I can say- 1 xcon 18 = DAMN!!!!  First system I ever had that you felt the pressure....not just vibration...but like it is squeezing you for being in it's space.  Not even dialed in, and it is incredible. loud and clear.  I'll never go back to mainstream subs.LOL

Now to decide what mid/highs to run. People seem to like the IA's. Thinking components for the fronts and coaxials in the rear.

Here are the pics from yesterday-  Nevermind the box- will pull it back out to cover it.  The black paint does make it 'disappear' behing my tinted windows.  Will get some installed pics tomorrow after work.

Makes the 10" GS's look pathetic.LOL

2013-09-10164853.jpg

The router depth lock failed on the round over for the port-  will clean it up next hitch home. Had to hear it, couldn't wait.

2013-09-10172614.jpg

Flush

2013-09-10172640.jpg

first time using the bolt method

2013-09-10174150.jpg

This was waiting on me in my quarters-

2013-09-11180306.jpg

Cool thing is that now I have a bass knob for my 1500.LOL

2013-09-11180428.jpg

Edited by Leedogg