SpeakerBoy

Electrical upgrade planning - 2004 Chevy Blazer

How much battery would you guys recommend for park n play?

I'll have about 2k to the lows, and would like to be able to go to a car show in my hometown and show all the highschoolers how it's done.

I'm drooling over this, i've been waiting to do a build of my own for so long, and daydreaming conveniently leaves out all the requirements that need to be satisfied before the fun part. 

I'd like to be able to play the subs with the car off, not for ridiculously long, an hour would be the longest I could see happening; I was thinking instead of two marines from walmart, i'd do a D3100 or a D7500.

I'm pretty sure the 7500 is bigger than i'll -ever- need but I mean, it's kinda sexy. 

Is there even any need to upgrade my alternator with a battery that large?

Even with all my battery power and electrical ... At shows, I NEVER run my system with the vehicle off.

I would start out by replacing all of your standard battery cables under the hood and do the Big 3 out of the gate ...

First your grounding points, then your positive feeds ... Make Sure all of you headlights and stuff is well grounded to prevent any unwanted noise ...

Why don't you play with the car off; more stress on the system? Or just personal preference?

Why don't you play with the car off; more stress on the system? Or just personal preference?

Because of the MASSIVE Amount of reserve you would need/ draining of the batteries. Better question is why play with your car off? If you plan on listening to your system outside of your car buy a boombox .

For 2k, I would have 2-3 xs d3100 while turning the car on every 30 mins or so for a 5 min period.

For 2k, I would have 2-3 xs d3100 while turning the car on every 30 mins or so for a 5 min period.

That's what I do when i'm playin' and testing a system. Play and run it for a little.

That's what I do when i'm playin' and testing a system. Play and run it for a little.

You need a voltage meter to see how far the voltage is dropping each time.

I have a voltmeter :)

More or less a personal preference ... I do not mistreat my truck. Must be doing a good job at it, She's got over 340,000 miles on it and counting ...

Now most shows or events where I demo all day or all weekend, I will hook up the Astron power supply ...

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but you have close to 1500 post here and you don't know the answer to this question????

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but you have close to 1500 post here and you don't know the answer to this question????

He just bought his first car lol. Every system that I've seen him do has been in a backpack.

He just bought his first car lol. Every system that I've seen him do has been in a backpack.
I understand and that's all cool that he got a whip, but having nearly 1500 post just on this forum and not knowing why its bad to play your system with the vehicle off is beyond me I guess

I got a bank of 5 g31's and could only play 7k for about 2 min before dipping to 11's with truck off.

Don't do it. A new amp cost way more than 1/4 tank of gas. Lol

Not sure what alternator came in ur blazer, but I would upgrade to an AD244 alternator out of a late model suburban. Those put out 145amps. From there do the big 3 and follow up with a battery or two. Good luck.

I never play with my truck off, to me its not worth hearing my batteries cry lol.

I'm used to dealing with small time amps; never really realized how much harder the big boys draw. 

Just picked up a marine at walmart; and cracked and am going to the pawn in the morning to throw a pair of fifteens in while I wait. 

Can't pass it up for the price, box, amp, subs for $200; they keep lowering the price because noone wants to carry them out of the store, it's a pair of mojos I believe. No clue on the amp, but going past the welding supply co on the way home tomorrow to get some wire. for a 1500D should I get a 200A fuse or a 250?

I understand and that's all cool that he got a whip, but having nearly 1500 post just on this forum and not knowing why its bad to play your system with the vehicle off is beyond me I guess

Most of my posts are from the first year I was on the forum and fangirling about LMS Ultras and fantasy systems. 

Not reading and paying attention like I shoulda lol.

• Just ordered a Knu 1/0 kit :)

I'm used to dealing with small time amps; never really realized how much harder the big boys draw. 

Just picked up a marine at walmart; and cracked and am going to the pawn in the morning to throw a pair of fifteens in while I wait. 

Can't pass it up for the price, box, amp, subs for $200; they keep lowering the price because noone wants to carry them out of the store, it's a pair of mojos I believe. No clue on the amp, but going past the welding supply co on the way home tomorrow to get some wire. for a 1500D should I get a 200A fuse or a 250?

You fuse for the wire not for the amp, if you're only buying a cheapo amp the amp should have built in fuses.

I installed my 1/0 and am going to pick up some 2ga wire for the Big three later on this week; I have the marine battery double grounded in the back, a 5ft run of 1/0 and an 18in run of 2ga; then 2ga power and ground to the amp from the battery, about 12in each.

My voltage meter dropped two notches after installing my wire, why would that be? I can't find my digital one, so it's not exact, but it is still above twelve; it's thirteen at lights and fourteen while rolling. I'm only running about 900wrms right now, including my doors, and it doesn't move while the amps do work, so I can't figure it out.

I am considering waiting on building a ported box, and picking up a Pure Audio 3000.1, just to have a little more power on tap, even if it doesn't do rated, It'll be enough. And for $300 shipped, I can't complain. What would be a better move for after I snag the amp, a 270a alt, or an addtional pair of marine batteries?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

flucation in voltage is pretty normal from what i understand. and the amp looks sketchy as fuck. don't quite understand the fixation on big power. much easier to put that budget into a decent amp and more sub.

hit the f/s section for an amp, new equipment is out of your price range

Edited by lithium

I am trying to buy an amp i'll be able to use for a set of four obsidians after next summer is over. Until then i'll going to run it at four on my current subs. My other option is a precision power 1800w.

I read around and they said the Pure 3k does rated power, albeit not very efficiently (64%)

I will echo saying that the big 3 upgrade is essential, but I will add not to remove the factory wiring when adding the big 3. Simply remove and clean if necessary and put it back along with the new wire as well. 

Is 2ga big enough or should I trim off some slack 1/0 to use?

Edited by SpeakerBoy